- What are your plans for a summer break?
- Where will you vacation?
- Do you have any great recommendations?
Many pastors and church staff members don’t take much time off from the church.
There are many reasons:
- The pastor might not have a staff, so he believes he can’t be away from church.
- The pastor is worried a guest speaker won’t do a good job.
- The staff member feels guilty when they take off.
- The student pastor might not be able to afford to get away.
- The church staff member is afraid she’ll be viewed as a slacker if she isn’t at church.
- Some pastors are so driven that they don’t want to take time off.
Whether the reasons are fear, guilt, misplaced passion, or some combination of these, the tired and burdened pastor will be less effective in ministry, more vulnerable to sin, and at a higher risk for burnout.
Is it hard for you to take time off? I’d love to hear from you. Please explain your struggle honestly.