categories: Uncategorized

June 1st, 2011

39 Speakers on One Weekend

Last weekend LifeChurch.tv gave 39 different staff members the opportunity to preach. We called it our first “Developmental Weekend.”

In case this idea might be helpful to other churches, I’ll share what we did.

· I prepared an outline for everyone to use. The outline gave the staff members a consistent message but plenty of room to personalize the texts and application.

· I prerecorded an explanation to get our church behind the concept and motivate them to support our rookies.

· I also prerecorded a 7-minute introduction to the message and a 7-minute ending plus ministry and prayer time.

· Our Pastors selected people to preach one or more services at our 14 different campuses. We selected Missions Pastors, LifeGroup Pastors, Youth Pastors, Host Team Coordinators and more. Each speaker had about 15 minutes to speak.

Here are several of the noticeable benefits:

· 39 people got to preach.

· The Pastors spent time preparing and developing their team members.

· The church embraced the idea of developing the next generation of leaders.

· These staff members got exposure to large groups of people, increasing their pastoral influence.

· Everyone on our staff understands that your position doesn’t determine your influence. You could be called on to do more at any time.

I’m very proud of our team!

Comments

1. Jun 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

What an amazing concept! That someone other than the senior pastor seminary trained could bring a profitable word! I love your leadership here and the carefulness to put others before the congregation. There’s your future campus directors, church planters, missional leaders of not-for-profits, etc. GO-GO-GO

I’m praying for each of these speakers as I type, especially the first timers who could overly internalize this experiece.

Thanks for sharing.
    R

2. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Very cool idea! I’d like to see more churches have this mindset and give opportunity for others to grow! Good job! :-)

3. 3Chris Garebe
    Jun 1, 2011 at 5:56 pm

It was a blast and an honor to be apart of this weekend. Thanks Pastor Craig for the opportunity.

4. Jun 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Love the idea and the outcomes. Personally I think the 15 minutes sandwiched between a 7 minutes intro and 7 minute conclusion by someone else would implicitly force me to conform to his style rather than flesh out who God has called me to be as a communicator. If you do it again, it might be worth consulting what Pastor Mark Jobe does at New Life Community Church in Chicago.My understanding of the way they do multi-site is that all the speakers spend a day in collaboration then they each preach the same text/outline but allow God to use the uniqueness of each speaker in his venue.

5. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Attended as a guest that day in South OKC.

Thought it went very well. Would have been a bit disappointed had I not heard “the pastor” at all, but being Memorial Day weekend, was already prepared for a guest speaker.

Really like the fact that the church location was right across the street from Jimmy’s Egg!

6. Nov 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Great concept. I’d love to hear more of that happening. Development of multiple communicators is just smart for the kingdom. Keep up the great work guys!!