Last weekend LifeChurch.tv gave 39 different staff members the opportunity to preach. We called it our first “Developmental Weekend.”
In case this idea might be helpful to other churches, I’ll share what we did.
· I prepared an outline for everyone to use. The outline gave the staff members a consistent message but plenty of room to personalize the texts and application.
· I prerecorded an explanation to get our church behind the concept and motivate them to support our rookies.
· I also prerecorded a 7-minute introduction to the message and a 7-minute ending plus ministry and prayer time.
· Our Pastors selected people to preach one or more services at our 14 different campuses. We selected Missions Pastors, LifeGroup Pastors, Youth Pastors, Host Team Coordinators and more. Each speaker had about 15 minutes to speak.
Here are several of the noticeable benefits:
· 39 people got to preach.
· The Pastors spent time preparing and developing their team members.
· The church embraced the idea of developing the next generation of leaders.
· These staff members got exposure to large groups of people, increasing their pastoral influence.
· Everyone on our staff understands that your position doesn’t determine your influence. You could be called on to do more at any time.
I’m very proud of our team!