categories: Uncategorized

May 19th, 2011

Twitter Book Recommendations

Yesterday I asked my Twitter friends to recommend leadership and spiritual books. Thank you for your awesome suggestions. If you’d like to add your favorites, please comment!

Click here for recommendations from my Facebook friends.

Sun Stand Still by @stevenfurtick (Love this one)

When Helping Hurts by Corbett

Lone Survivor by Luttrell - leadership

When Life Isn’t Working by Merritt - spiritual growth

The Good & Beautiful God

Tribal Leadership

The Radical Disciple

Weird by Craig Groeschel (Already read that one!)

Radical Together by David Platt

Men’s Health-The Basics by @DruglessDoctor

Renovation Of the Heart & The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard

Humilitas by @johnpauldickson

Happy reading!

Comments

1. May 19, 2011 at 8:18 am

What a wonderful list, thank you for sharing! One more I thought you might like is:
    My Life Is Not My Own, by Bill Bright

Prayerfully,
    Matthew
    1 Corinthians 9:19

2. May 19, 2011 at 8:20 am

Note to Self by Joe Thorn

Amazing Grace by Timothy George

No Other Gospel by Josh Moody

The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn

If God is Good… by Randy Alcorn

The Greener Grass Conspiracy by Stephen Altrogge

3. 3Asher Griffin
    May 19, 2011 at 8:34 am

1. Note to Self - Joe Thorn (gospel reminder in various areas)
    2. How People Change - Trip (biblical counseling)
    3. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt - Edmund Morris (it’ll make you want to chop wood)
    4. Holiness - JC Ryle (spiritual development … not a quick read)

People may want to know … do you schedule your reading, do it at night/morning, random times?

4. 4Susie Williamson
    May 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Lioness Arising by Lisa Bevere. Great for women.

5. 5Susie Williamson
    May 19, 2011 at 8:47 am

Lioness Arising by Lisa Bevere. Great read for women.

6. May 19, 2011 at 8:53 am

Consider Jolt! - Get the Jump on a World That’s Constantly Changing by Phil Cooke
    This is a book that is very well balanced and has great insight on how to “shake” everything in your life and make things happen. Phil doesn’t hide his faith in any page and yet makes a compelling argument of the importance of it. Great for any organization and personal living.

7. 7Brittney
    May 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Bravehearted Gospel - Eric Ludy

8. May 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

:) Swerve is making a comeback! YAY!!!! When will I find time to read all of these???? Yikes. Any way to narrow it down..Would love some leadership tips and a great read! AlreadyRead Weird and Sun Stand Still…Amazing Books!

9. May 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

I think they meant “When Life’s Not Working” by Bob Merritt not when “When Life Isn’t Working”. I would also recommend “Next Generation Leader” by Andy Stanley and “The 21 Most Important Minutes in a Leaders Day” by John Maxwell.

10. 10Zach Dickson
    May 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

In the Name of Jesus by Henri Nouwen

11. 11TomK
    May 19, 2011 at 10:15 am

Tribes by Seth Godin
    Visioneering by Andy Stanley
    Attributes of God by AW Tozer

12. 12Michael
    May 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

Enjoying your blog. I’m helping promote a couple of books you and your readers might be interested in and would love to get you a review copy and additional copies you can use as giveaways on the blog. No obligation or expectation, of course. Let me know if you’d like more info. The books are Spiritual Leadership and When Worlds Collide.

13. 13Luke Meinert
    May 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

This list is awesome. Better get reading!

I would also recommend:

Love and War by John and Stasi Eldredge

Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

14. May 19, 2011 at 11:43 am

Doctrine, Mark Driscoll and Vintage Jesus, Mark Driscoll!

15. 15Christy H
    May 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I just read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, and it was great.

16. 16Ginger McBride
    May 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn-Custis-James
    Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
    Forgotten God by Frances Chan

17. 17Ginger McBride
    May 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm

And Soul Feast by Marjorie Thompson

18. May 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Anything by Seth Godin catches my eye, thanks for the list.

19. May 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness by Jerry Cook

20. Jun 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Management by Proverbs: by Michael A. Zigarelli

21. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Great list! I loved McNeal’s Missional Renaissance (and The Present Future). Others I would highly recommend for leadership and spiritual development are: Lead Like Jesus (Blanchard and Hodges), The Stewardship of Life (Nowery), Reverse Mentoring (Creps), Simple Small Groups (Search), The Call (Os Guinness) and Launching Missional Communities (Breen and Absalom).

Thanks for Chazown and the online resources!! :)

22. 22bert
    Sep 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

The books that have changed my life are “A Scandalous Freedom” By Steve Brown and “The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus” by Bruxy Cavey

23. 23Jake Day
    Oct 17, 2011 at 2:55 am

Courageous Leadership - Bill Hybels

24. 24Bill Keene
    Nov 6, 2011 at 6:36 am

“How to Master the English Bible” By James M. Grey–After 40 years of wandering aimlessly thru the Bible Dr. Grey has given me a biblical road map which lets me know Gods word from cover to cover with simplicity and recall.

25. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

I would say I love “Spiritual Leadership by Oswald Sanders”; but would also recommend “Leadership that Builds People 1″ by James Richard.

26. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:12 am

Great List, I’d also like to add “A Divine Revelation of Spiritual Warfare” by Mary K Baxter. God bless

27. Jan 28, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I know it’s not a “Christian” book per se, but Chip & Dan Heath’s book, Made To Stick, is a great book for learning how to take the principles of Christ and apply them in a way that does what we want - help create life-change. The more we can learn about what motivates and drives people, the better we may be able to take the Great News to them and get them to (get us!) to engage it.

28. Jul 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m always looking for book recommendations, so when I saw this blog post, I got super excited—it’s like a field day for me! There are some of these books that I’ve already read, but many others that I haven’t read—or even heard of! I can’t wait to dig in and get copies of some of these books. I know I’m sure to enjoy them.

29. Nov 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm