categories: church, church online, community, staff, team, technology

December 9th, 2010

Online All Staff Meeting

We had our first online “All Staff Meeting” this week. Several people were asking how we did it, so I thought I’d share a few thoughts.

HOW? We used our church online platform at www.churchonline.org.

WHY? Since our staff is spread out, bringing them together is costly, time consuming, and challenging. We hoped an online event would provide us with the opportunity to communicate, inspire and motivate.

In addition to simply receiving information, the staff had the additional benefit of talking to each other through the online chat.

SURPRISES: None of us had any idea how much fun we’d have. I was laughing out loud much of the time at the hilarious chatting. The staff was buzzing with excitement the day after the meeting.

When we asked people to get serious, they did quickly. The corporate worship was powerful and the prayer time was deeply moving.

We will continue to meet together in person and do an online event once or twice a year when it makes sense. Here is a short clip from the meeting.

If any staff members would like to add some thoughts about your experience, please do.

Comments

1. Dec 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

I thought it was going to be a train wreck with so many people chatting, but it was great. Also, it was also incredible for Amy, my wife, to be able to join in and get a feel for what is happening throughout the organization. With a spouse that works outside the house she values the opportunity to connect.

2. 2Lori Bailey
    Dec 9, 2010 at 10:29 am

Since my husband can’t travel with me to events in OK, it was wonderful to be able to share an experience like that with him here at home

3. 3Kristen Cox
    Dec 9, 2010 at 10:52 am

I have to admit, I was skeptical going in. My very favorite thing about All Staff meetings is the incredible corporate worship the team always shares. I didn’t think there was any way that could be replicated in an online environment.

And actually, I was right. It was different… but it was still powerful to participate and see my fellow team members expressing their worship in written form. I didn’t expect that. The prayer time at the end was powerful too. The names and other requests streaming in the chat forum was something new to All Staff. And as team members rang in, repeating those names and requests, voicing their prayers for each other… man. It was beautiful… a different kind of beautiful.

4. 4Michelle Meisner
    Dec 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I think people really loved the online idea. Craig, it was weird to see you commenting while you were talking, but it was oddly awesome! My favorite part, much like Kristen, was the prayer time at the end. I can’t tell you how moving it was to see people being transparent–naming prayer requests, naming names, and all of us coming together as a community to lift them up together. It was powerful.

5. 5Pat
    Dec 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Glad to see a church doing some cutting-edge stuff and thinking outside of the box in the interest of producitivity and effectiveness.

6. Dec 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

With the progress of technology everything is possible. Church like any other institution has to advance and benefit from the good parts of progress.

7. Dec 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I loved being part of this event online with the whole staff. As a remote staff member, it was great to all share the same environment. To worship and pray together was a truly bonding time. It was also great for my husband to be part of this as well - he enjoyed interacting with other staff members and spouses.

8. Dec 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm

This is legit!!!

Next? An idea - Online mentoring, video network! I’m excited to work on that one in the future :) Group or individual mentoring!!

Short- and long-distance mentoring. Fully online or partially online.

SO EXCITED!!

9. Dec 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm

My wife and I loved being able to share in all staff together. We laughed a lot, were moved in worship, and felt God’s presence strongly during the prayer time. Props to Pastor Craig and the directional leadership team for the use of technology and for there leadership in prayer. Love being a part of this family!

10. Dec 15, 2010 at 10:52 am

Any clues on when churchonline.org will be available and what it will have?

Thanks for great resources!

11. Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 am

please pray that my husband find a job…his company laid off 1,400 people including him…also for Lauren’s relationship…ask the Lord to bring her a CHRISTian man…

12. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

I wonder how this platform compares with something like gotomeeting.com

13. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

when will be available? churchonline.org

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:29 am

wow, I have thought about similar using Skype but this is another level