categories: church

October 12th, 2010

Be Good at Something Different

In ministry, most churches and leaders try to be good at what everyone else is good at doing. We’re trying to improve our preaching, youth groups, kids’ curriculum, worship, environments, etc.

The problem is that we’re not blessed with the same gifts or called to the same types of ministries. Why not give yourself permission to be good something that few others are striving to do?

Maybe you can be phenomenal at digging water wells, sponsoring kids, or impacting the world through 6 a.m. prayer gatherings. Maybe you’re called to serving your community with radical generosity, doing evangelism through Facebook, or leveraging your wealthy suburban church to support three struggling inner city churches.

Rather than being good at the usual ministries, be good at something you’re uniquely positioned to do. Be good at something different.

What is something different you (or your ministry) can do?

Comments

1. 1Justin
    Oct 12, 2010 at 8:45 am

Great post. I think pastors and churches need to pray for creativity in reaching their communities and that God would open their eyes to see the needs right around them.

2. Oct 12, 2010 at 8:49 am

great stuff Craig! Steamboat is a different and unique culture…the 2nd most unchurched county (in percentages) in the country….people dont just stumble into church here…we are having to be completely different to engage this culture with Christ.

3. Oct 12, 2010 at 8:50 am

Well said!!

4. Oct 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

I agree wholeheartedly - I see every church and ministry has it’s own DNA - with that we need to do what is in out DNA. To many of us (myself included) have tried to do what works for everyone else - God rarely ever does things the same throughout Scripture. Love the point.

BTW - I just signed up for the Catalyst One Day in Lynchburg and looking forward to it.

5. Oct 12, 2010 at 8:58 am

We’re good at feeding high school kids in rough situations.

I heard Tony Morgan talk about this idea of unique ministry at a conference awhile back and it’s so on point!

6. Oct 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

Thanks!
    So encouraging!

7. 7Tim Sears
    Oct 12, 2010 at 9:45 am

That is why a steak at a steak house is better than a all you can eat restaurant. They cook steaks and that is what they are Good at. All you can eat restaurants try to give you everything you want,but it is all run of the mill nothing real great. Just average. We should be hot or cold not lukewarm.

8. Oct 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

Thank you for this post. I have a gift I know God wants me to use it .. seeking the right place is hard for me to find. I’m gifted at Audio visual. and Pray for a doors to open.

9. 9Cory
    Oct 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m good at reading to children! It is something so simple and seemingly small that I’ve often thought really? Could this be where God wants me to serve? But I’ve been provided with multiple opportunties to do just that, and specifically in the inner city schools. It is rewarding and I’m happy to do it!

10. 10Deanna Wantz
    Oct 12, 2010 at 10:01 am

I want to be good at bringing the Gospel to the arts community. So many times this community is overlooked because they are too out there/ edgy. But when I at society I see them as one of the group who has great influence. I want trend setters to be setting trends with the Gospel.

I love that LC.tv is good a developing leaders another passion of mine that makes me excited to get up in the morning.

11. 11Jairus Roark
    Oct 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

I like it. I really believe what you said about Facebook evangelism hit home with me. I think having scripture, and links for people to click on is huge! Twitter as well. These two things are great ways of reaching hundreds of people, all within a click of a button. :) Love it brother!

12. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This post came at a perfect time, as I had just expressed to my LifeGroup tha

t I am seeking God for chazown for our LifeGroup. Of course I’m always seeking it for myself, but I have felt the Spirit’s prompting on leading the group to reach out in an unconventional way. Thanks for the confirmation! =)

13. 13Michael Ferguson
    Oct 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Awesome words of encouragement… Thx LifeChurch

14. 14Jen Branda
    Oct 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Yep, I agree. Be u. Following our redeemed hearts :) So freeing …to do what God created us to do & so beautiful…

15. Oct 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Our Lutheran church can probably reach out to born and raised Lutherans who have moved near us from out of state probably better than LifeChurch can….all 3 families that might move near us a year. :)

16. Oct 12, 2010 at 9:11 pm

That’s a great question, what does the next step church or ministry look like? Social Networking, Mobile Media, Blogging, smaller focused groups that have a cause.

Accessible, needs to be available any where and everywhere, with little effort and easy to understand. Has to connect people to each other, but in a mobile way. Think of a facebook version of ministry that works at work, school, or on that long drive to and from work every day? What if any time you are having a bad day at work you pull up your mobile device and are able to seek counsel with someone you trusted instantly. YOu don’t have to wait until Sunday, or life group, or have to wait to see if they are going to respond to email. Ministries will become smaller but so much more effective.

But I’m a dreamer…

17. Oct 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I feel compelled to invest in the next generation(s). Be that person, that place, that ministry that a kid/teen can go to and know that they will be supported, invested in, that they will be valued. If it weren’t for my pastor and his wife I would have been lost in the lie that I had nothing to offer this world. I’d love to see a mentoring program that puts willing adults together with the younger generation and maybe even the younger generation with the even younger generation. Believe in them to do what the world says is impossible. Discover them, value them, love them, teach them, help them to develop into devoted followers of Christ. Equip them to discover their own visions from God and what they can do to chase after it. And then, unleash them to this world. I believe the next generation will consistently blow you away if you just give them permission to do the impossible.

18. Oct 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

I try to do something different by encouraging churches and non-profits to do something different. That’s what http://opensourcechurch.com is all about. Encouraging churches to live out kingdom values by cooperating and collaborating using open source and creative commons projects. Anybody can spend tons of cash on software, but I’m still waiting for a few big churches to buy into the open source model and invest and be the good samaritan so other churches (and everyone really) can benefit as well from their investments.

Kevin

19. Oct 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm

This is so true. It is well said. I think one of the main issues is that everyone else has an expectation of you to perform the way that all of those other ministries have. Let’s face it, youth ministry and church ministry for that matter has been done the same way in the majority of our evangelical church traditions for YEARS! It is extraordinarily hard to get a congregation/group of people to buy into the fact that you don’t have to look, sound like, preach like, or teach like the larger church down the street.
    My question is how do we help our people grab an understanding of that? How can we hep them see that we are uniquely wired and gifted and through our unity amongst our diversity the kingdom will be built!?

20. Oct 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Competition! That`s what many do in the Kingdon, as if the souls are ours. Yet we fail to acomplish our unique goal here on earth.

We want the BIG ministries to be noticed, that`s just “leader” nature.
    We must be humble enough to be able to go unoticed, but ceratin that at the end of the day HE will say: Very good my servant…

Blessings from El Salvador,

DJ Berges
    UCD

21. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

[...] there! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for the latest updates.Craig Groeschel: In ministry, most churches and leaders try to be good at what everyone else is good at doing. [...]

22. Oct 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I’m good at pointing out the obvious. Oh wait…that’s not good. (grin)

23. Oct 18, 2010 at 7:58 am

The American Church is mainly focused on numbers and the Crowd…My heart breaks for the lonely individuals that are cast aside in the church doors and lost without investment and needed guidance. I think of Blind Bartimaeus screaming for mercy. Jesus stopped the Crowd (fame and machine) for the one who was in need. We all (including me) need to wake up really invest in those that are treading water. We CAN do this! They need us!

24. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for opening up minds. I try to do so through my blog. It is different and fresh, because it is God inspired. It is all for His glory.

25. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Man! I wish you were going to be at our FEDEX Day presentations on Thursday. This is a lot of what I’m presenting about–our next something different we can do! :)

26. Oct 22, 2010 at 12:31 am

We are seeking to love the unlovable (or at least that’s their [the local churches] label) in our small rural town. Yes, I know it sound crazy, but we’re trying to follow the Bible on this one. Odd, but true.

27. Oct 22, 2010 at 11:08 am

[...] Who else out there needs to Be Good at Something Different? [...]

28. Oct 25, 2010 at 11:26 pm

AMEN!!!

As a Church planter it kills me how many young guys are coming through and all they want to do is try and building the next Hillsong (I am in OZ) I love them but we are called to do what we are called to do.

Too much imitation (in this regard) leads to intimidation.

4Life,

Josh

LifeCity Church Canberra (City and Tuggeranong)

29. 29Chris Leonard
    Oct 31, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for believing Pastor Craig. The first Life Church service I attended, you were preaching on this subject. “To reach the people that no one is reaching, you must be doing things that nobody else is doing.” I have 2 ideas that are a passion of mine. The first isn’t an original but is extremely effective: Boxing Ministry. Boxing is a sport that is sometimes forgotten about but as one of the most physically demanding, people love the workouts. More importantly, this ministry really reaches troubled teens and young adults that have trouble with self esteem or violent behavior. There are countless stories of boxers that were in trouble with the law or the streets that found boxing as something that helped them get their minds in the right place and to stop fighting but also learning self discipline. There are many boxing ministries, though usually poorly funded, that have been effective for years including Boxers for Christ. I’ve worked with a lot of teens with boxing and it’s such a great way for kids to connect with a positive role model that shares the same passion as them and showing them the love of Christ goes hand in hand with this ideal. It’s amazing that such a violent sport can create such loving and life changing relationships through Jesus.

The other idea I have is teaching kids how to operate recording equipment and to even help them record their own Christ centered music. I’ve put out a cd to share my faith and life experiences and how God has done a miraculous work in my life. I really needed help and resources to do so but without access to them, it too my project several more years than it should have. I believe that valuable time was wasted in what could’ve been spent making music for God’s glory. Recording equipment and resources are not cheap by any means but giving people the access they may not otherwise have is a great way to connect with people that share a passion for music.

30. Nov 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I was appointed Sr Pastor of a downtown church. We seeking to find that ministry that is not being offered. At this time, most “social ministry” to homeless, and under-employed are being offered in other churches. I am still praying for that unique ministry in our gift-mix, and serve the Lord by serving this community.

31. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Take the Strenthfinders.com
    assessment and find out what your strengths are!

32. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Take the strengthfinders assessment and find out what your strengths really are.

33. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm

At our church the start of the new year we were asked to do Gr8 Things - To Do What Jesus Did and we have committed ourselves to 5000 hours of community service. I took on the role to social network with blogging and tweeting our roles and suggesting volunteer opportunities. Very excited for the new year!