categories: leadership

September 13th, 2010

Be Unreasonable!

I bet you have heard this many times… “Be reasonable.”

Truthfully, under many circumstances, “Be reasonable” is sound advice—but not always.

As Christian leaders, there are times to be unreasonable.

• When you pray, you might ask God to do something most consider impossible or unreasonable. Pray unreasonable prayers.
  • When you seek God, He might lead you to do something others consider undoable. Empowered by God, do unreasonable things.
  • When you lead, some people might think you’re making unreasonable demands. Lead passionately and pull unreasonable results out of reasonable people.

Being unreasonable all the time would certainly be a mistake. But if you aren’t being unreasonable every now and then, you probably aren’t leading by faith.

Comments

1. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:51 am

But Pastor Craig, were so safe inside our box!! Thanks for being unreasonable. Love in Christ- D.L.

2. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:09 am

Craig…come on, be reasonable. I can’t be unreasonable!

I agree! Thanks to your leadership at church I’ve had this mindset for a while! I need to start moving it into faith-action now!

I really like the empowering and leadership-drawing unreasonable demands for leading people! Great thought!

Love this post!

3. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:10 am

Sometimes I think we reason too much. ;)

4. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:00 am

Craig: I just finished reading Reborn to be Wild by Ed Underwood and he makes a great statement (attributed to Cam Townsend the founder of Wycliffe Bible Translators): “If we will do the possible, God will do the impossible.” There are times when we do only so much but then we have to allow the God is maxi times bigger than us do His thing. We need to live large. Sometimes that means being unreasonable in our faith and approach to ministry. thanks for the good thoughts. Good to have you posting again. It has been a long summer. :)

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:01 am

Sorry: left out a word: “God who is maxi…”

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:27 am

I love it. I love the out of the Box praying and thinking because we serve a God who is out of Box.

We need to be examples of an God is out out of the box in an Unreasonable way!

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:00 am

I am in the THICK OF IT right now…up to my eyeballs in what most would say is unreasonable. I am opening up a business with a Chick from church who has 5 kids…most say we are INSANE but…we are just playing “follow the leader”…God said go during the “UP message” and we are Sprinting!

Only God could give us the strength to run this Marathon because I’m having daily shin splints OUCH!…without him I am a COMPLETE “hot mess”..LOL! Excited to see who we can reach through this CRAZY venture!

8. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:05 am

Unreasonable is scary but alive!

9. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

Something make look unreasonable - die in order to live, give in order to have, serve in order to lead, submit in order to conquer - etc.

The X factor is that “without Me you can do NOTHING.”

10. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:30 am

Thank you for absolute truth in all your messages. It points me to his word everytime and I love that.
    We are in the middle of 2 very unreasonable situations and I have so much peace.
    It’s amazing to me what God will do when we learn to truly rest in Him.

11. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:22 am

Good word for leaders.

Unreasonable: “not guided by or based on good sense, absurd”

Too many leaders base every decision on things that make sense. I find the “absurd” moments in leadership to be some of the most exciting, life-changing moments. I don’t want to live in “absurd”, but I sure don’t want a life void of those moments either.

12. Sep 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

‘But if you aren’t being unreasonable every now and then, you probably aren’t leading by faith.’ - love this quote. Thanks Craig.

13. 13Jairus Roark
    Sep 13, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love it! So much truth in all this. Stepping out into the storm is what’s needed sometimes. We must be (Unreasonable) “Different than the world”.

Great words brother!

14. 14Amanda Miller
    Sep 13, 2010 at 11:21 am

Everything I have done in the past six months to the world has seemed unreasonable. Insane actually to most, but I don’t think there has ever been a time in my life where I have heard and felt God as clearly as I have walking this out. I have to depend on Him, I can’t do this on my own. I would have never started if I had known how much it was going to cost, but now that I am in the middle of it, and I see what I have gained, I would never change it.

15. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:21 am

Awesome! Craig, can I translate this into Spanish and post it on our blog?

Blessings!

16. 17Randy Graves
    Sep 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I am a 5 year member at the OKC campus and your messages have never failed to speak directly to me, from the very first 10:00 am experience my wife and I added in 2005. This message speaks volumes to me. I post electronically on weekends within a ministry that has over 4,000 active followers, your words never cease to be an inspiration. Thank you for all your “unreasonable” efforts. My unreasonable demand in my prayers to God is to one day work as a minister from one of your stages. God is Good All the Time……all the Time God is Good!

17. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Amazing! Thanks a lot Craig/Lori :)

You’ll be able to read it in Spanish tomorrow at http://carlosalbertopaz.jazon.info

18. 19Rolf007
    Sep 14, 2010 at 4:33 am

Thanks Craig, what is to be unreasonable? not just ask for things out of the box, but be aligned with that kind of love that led Christ to the cross, unreasonable love, something that can not be understood but can be felt and passionately be given by loving God and our neighbors. Not just ask by asking, is give ourself in an unreasonable way for him our loving God. These thoughts challenge myself in the way I live for a loving God. Unreasonable love for the world, but reasonable love for him … challenging.

19. Sep 14, 2010 at 8:41 am

God seems unreasonable to me many times. What’s up with that? :)

20. Sep 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

I think it takes a higher level of faith to be unreasonable. Great post.

21. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Why does man think God’s request should seem reasonable to human minds? If we only let God out
    of the box in our life, we would be so blessed by
    unreasonable power, grace, mercy and goodness.
    It is important for biblical life coaches to recognize
    this point so they can best serve the Lord who appointed (and anointed) them.

22. 23Lee
    Oct 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm

“Reasonable men adjust themselves to their environment. Unreasonablemen attempt to change their environment to suit themselves. Therefore all progress is the work of unreasonable men.” George Bernard Shaw