[Repost from May 27, 2008]
Most churches experience a “summer slump.”
- Attendance drops
- Giving slows
- Volunteers miss
- Interest fades
What should a leader do during down times? Although I can’t answer the question for you specifically, I would say, “DO SOMETHING INTENTIONAL!”
- Challenge the church to host summer neighborhood block parties
- Ask your small groups to take the summer off and challenge them to devote one weekend a month to an inner city mission project.
- Write devotionals for people traveling on vacation.
- Do a summer long overview of the Old Testament
- Experiment with a different style of worship
- Participate in “One Prayer” (Couldn’t resist)
- Take some extended time off
- Challenge people to devote a week of their vacation to minister on an international mission trip
Whatever you do, don’t miss this great opportunity to pray, seek God, and do something intentional! Even though many are distracted, God still wants to do something powerful through your ministry this summer.
Please share any summer ideas or ministries you are excited about.