categories: communication, culture

May 21st, 2010

I’d Like to Honor

These week we’ve been talking about honor. I’d like to honor a few people:

My wife: Amy is my best friend and the woman who gave me six children. She is the most godly person I know. I love her and honor her with all my heart.

My parents: My mom and dad were unbelievable parents. They always told me that God was with me and with him I could do anything I dreamed of doing. I believed them. I honor my parents.

My staff: I’m grateful to my staff members who serve sacrificially and faithfully. I’m especially thankful to Jerry Hurley, Sam Roberts, Kevin Penry, and Bobby Gruenewald. These men have served with me for over ten years. They are the leadership strength behind our church.

My church: The people at LifeChurch.tv are willing to try anything. They are evangelistic, faithful, and more generous than any people I’ve ever met. I hope to serve them for my whole life.

My savior: I honor Jesus, the one who died so I could live. Without him, I’d have nothing. With him, I have everything that matters.

Feel free to honor anyone you would like to…

Comments

1. May 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm

hey craig. what do you do with people who do not honor you in your staff?

2. May 22, 2010 at 9:12 am

Great post! I’d like to honor all the people who have blogs that challenge me to think about my faith. So thank you! It’s so wonderful that I have the opportunity to get “church like” inspiration every day from the convenience of my computer. Thank you for all you to do spread the Good News!

3. May 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I agree with Jessica!

We honor you Craig for honoring Jesus Christ!

4. May 22, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Craig for all you pour into my life and ministry from afar. I want to honor you too.

I honor my wife for standing by me. I honor my parents for raising me in a godly home and showing me Jesus everyday through their lives.

5. 5Raul
    May 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I am struggling to understand why most of the Willow Creek/Saddleback multi-site, style/type of churches are infatuated with: Vision, Purpose, Leadership?

Why less and less theology, doctrine, and expository preaching is being done at these type of churches?

Why is it that after being an active member of one of this churches, I find myself searching other places to be fed the unadulterated word of God? (John MacArthur, Paul Washer, Bod DeWay).

Have we lost sight of what the Church really is suppose to be? I am not confused, but I am troubled by what I am started to see. I don’t know how this started, buy there are many things I was not aware of that now, compared to Scripture, I see many, many flaws in our current churches.

JesusChrist, Please Help Us!!!! I don’t want to find myself deceived like you, and the Apostles warned us!

Anybody else feels this way? I am being so honest, sometimes I ask my wife “Is it just me who sees these things?”…..

Thanks

6. May 23, 2010 at 9:15 am

7. May 24, 2010 at 8:54 am

I honor God who is and always will be my everything! He Gives and takes away! I fear him! I am in awe of him! I love Him! I can’t believe he never gives up on me! I honor all that he has blessed my life with! I know I am nothing and he will control and count every breath I will ever take..I pray that I will never forget, press on with purpose, and use my whisper of a life to Shout OUT God’s purpose on purpose with Boldness…

8. May 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I honor my wife and my church, but right now I want to honor my mom. She passed away at the end of last summer at the age of 59. She had gone back to college as an adult and was one semester from completing a master’s degree with honors. She inspired me to go back and finish my college degree. She stood by my dad all those years throughout the tough times in his ministry. Her memory is still an inspiration to me as I begin my first pastorate. I praise God He has given me a wife who is devoted to me like my mom was to my dad. I miss her. I love her. I honor her and her memory.

9. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:24 pm

wjcollier3, I am honored that I got to read your note. Touching! Thank you for sharing! I am so sorry about your loss.

10. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 am

Raul,

It is definitely a problem when there is solely a focus on vision, purpose & leadership without correct theology and doctrine.

In lieu of saying that, and being a member of LifeChurch, I don’t see a problem with its theology. Sure, there may be mess-ups at times, but in my view (in relation to the Bible) we consistently push to be consistent with Scripture. We are truly seeking to lead others to become fully devoted followers of Christ.

The reason I believe there is such a big focus on vision, purpose and leadership at these churches is because they see people living with a lack of vision & purpose…and also lacking in Godly leadership. So, following Christs’ leadership and visionary example and call, churches are beginning to lead in this way.

This is my personal view…

And I respect you for asking your questions in a respectful way!

11. 11Mike
    Jun 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

@Craig in regards to your comment “My pastor: Nick Harris took a chance on me when I was twenty-two years old. He taught me more about God’s word than I could have learned in ten years of seminary. I honor my pastor.” How would you recommend searching for such a pastor now days. I have felt such a strong call to be a pastor that I have closed down my own business to pursue that calling. My struggle is that I am 39 married with three kids and quitting the job at my current church is not a realistic option. I would love to have a mentorship where I work but there is no such option, nor an interest to offer one. Is something like your story even something that is done today? I have been the recipient of many wonderful gifts from the spirit but I feel they are not being utilized to their full potential. While a couple of very small churches in the area are looking for pastors, I am mature enough to know I am not quite ready for that just yet. With some guidance I could be. Was lead to this page and saw this post. Hopefully you have some words of wisdom for me. Thank you and God Bless.