categories: books, one prayer

May 19th, 2010

What is God Really Like?

Last year during One Prayerwigrl, pastors from all over the world finished the statement “God is…”  These same messages (plus others you may not have had an opportunity to catch) are featured in a new book called What is God Really Like? It’s a collection of 17 One Prayer sermons from gifted teachers like Craig, Andy Stanley, Francis Chan, Jentezen Franklin, Perry Noble, Steven Furtick, and others.

I like the mix of perspectives the book offers. It’s a great representation of how the Church is at its best when it encompasses the diverse strengths, gifts, and passions we all bring to the table.

What is God Really Like is available now on Amazon—just in time to get ready for One Prayer 2010 this June!

Comments

1. May 20, 2010 at 6:20 am

This is cracking me up…I seriously woke up this morning with a “God Is” statement on the brain and I couldn’t shake it! Then I just read about this book on the blog. (Irony??? Please insert twilight zone music”)..Here is what I seriously woke up thinking…

“GOD is NOT our problem…He is our ANSWER!”

Can’t wait to read the wisdom that God has given to the leaders of “His” Church.

2. 2david jarrett
    May 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Just a quick note, if you are on facebook search [ 4RC the lakes ] its a fan page of our church. and also pastor craig would love to see a series similar to so your dead now what, but call so your a christian now what. I see alot of newe believers who think I am a christian now so I am done. but that is just the begining.

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I don’t know why God continues to amaze me after all these years - but He does! Tuesday evening, after my car stopped, about mid-way home (while I was STILL driving), approximately 60 mph down interstate 64 at 6:45 pm. After calling my bestie for the Preacher’s phone number (he includes the name of an amazing mechanical at our Church in his sermons from time to time), I was able to reach him and get verbal HELP! When the tow truck left “the site” and I headed home - it was about 10:00 pm! Upon entering the front door, I found this amazing book in the mail box. It came as an unexpected gift - at the PERFECT TIME! (Do YOU think God watches over us? I do!)
    This book is a compilation of numerous pastor’s one word definitions of what God is really like. I am a reader that LOVES to read books out of order…I check out the Table of Contents and read the titles that interest me most (unless, of course, it’s a novel - you just have to read every single page from cover to cover, IN ORDER). I started with Chapter 1 - one of my many favorite pastors: Francis Chan. His one word for God was STRONG. He quotes Isaiah 45:22-23 and Joshua 1:6-9 - BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS! He says, “I don’t know many believers who gather together and encourage each other to be strong. Peter and John astonished people with their boldness, and yet when they got our of jail, they prayed for more boldness! The body of Christ needs once again to lay hands on each other, praying for boldness and strength.”
    This morning, prior to picking up my repaired car, I read Mark Batterson’s chapter - word of choice for God: Incomparable
    He quotes Ephesians 1:18-19: …the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. “We sprinkle a little bit of prayer and the Bible and Church on our lives and hope. Hope is good, but expectation is better. When you believe in God’s incomparable power, your hopes change to great expectations.” AMEN Mark!
    Finally, running out of time, I finished with Andy Stanley - word of choice for God: Certain
    “The question for us is, will we maintain our faith when we can’t see His hand? Even though Scripture doesn’t change anything in “our” circumstances, it does allow us to embrae uncertainty knowing that God is still in control, that although life is uncertain, and the world may seem uncertain, God is not.”
    You may wonder about the last words I read before heading out to PAY for this massive repair; THIS is fabulous: “He still has your family, your personal finances, and all the things that are worrying you to death in his hands. He still has your whole world in His hands. Of that you can be certain.”
    My friends, GOD IS REAL and He LOVES us!

4. 4jake dockter
    Dec 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm

apparent God is really like a man. No women here? Seems like heaven, and God is a cosmic boys club. I guess I don’t need to read it. God is really like a misogynist here.

5. 5jake dockter
    Dec 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm

my comment is in reference to the all male cast of authors.

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

Hi Jake, We asked for people to submit chapters to be considered for the book. We had 67 submitted. Unfortunately, none were from women.