categories: culture

May 18th, 2010

To Highly Esteem

In our current series at LifeChurch.tv called Forgotten Virtues, the first message I taught was on “Honor.” If you are interested, you can view it here.

When Jesus said a prophet is without honor in his hometown, the Greek word he used was “atimos” (pronounced at’-ee’-mos). It means to dishonor, to treat as common or ordinary.

The word translated as honor from Greek is the word “time” (prounounced tim-may’). It means to value or highly esteem. This word means to treat as precious, weighty or valuable.

Applied to our daily lives, we could say:

• Honor builds up. Dishonor tears down.
  • Honor believes the best. Dishonor believes the worst.
  • Honor values. Dishonor devalues.

If you want a common marriage, dishonor your spouse. Treat him or her as ordinary. If you want an exceptional marriage, highly esteem your spouse. Treat him or her as precious or valuable.

You might say, “But he isn’t acting honorably.”

Remember, respect is earned, but honor is given. If you treat someone with honor even though they haven’t earned it, they might start behaving honorably.

Romans 12:10 in the ESV says, Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” (Emphasis mine)

Comments

1. May 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

Plenty of wisdom given here today! Thanks for sharing it!

2. May 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Thank you for this follow-up post. If I’m understanding this correctly, showing Honor is showing a person they are of value either through words, actions, or giving your trust. Which can look like many different things to different people. So, going back to your post yesterday, giving or recieving a gift with two hands doesn’t seem like much to us, but to somebody its important. Makes me think twice before I judge somebodies way of honoring God.

3. May 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Incredible post. Very timely and insightful…can’t wait to read the rest.

4. May 19, 2010 at 5:47 am

Love this. If we could all learn to SHOW and choose honor REGARDLESS…No matter what…we could be unstoppable! I am learning the best way to fight back is to love MORE (regardless of fear or feelings). It seriously has become comical that Satan keeps trying harder (like REALLY Dude???) the more I CHOOSE Honor, peace and joy. He will throw me a left hook and my GOOD reaction time keeps getting better with practice ( So True) LOL! I refuse to have an “ordinary” life. I have God and HE is EXTRAORDINARY!

5. 5david jarrett
    May 19, 2010 at 9:33 am

Just a quick note, if you are on facebook search [ 4RC the lakes ] its a fan page of our church. and also pastor craig would love to see a series similar to so your dead now what, but call so your a christian now what. I see alot of newe believers who think I am a christian now so I am done. but that is just the begining.

6. May 22, 2010 at 7:52 am

[...] who have had an impact in your life?  By the way, I’ve been reading this interesting series of posts on honour over on the LifeChurch.tv Swerve Blog, check it out! (each one of those links goes [...]