categories: church, church planting, culture

May 6th, 2010

Promise and Deliver—Later

Because we had over triple our projections when we opened our newest campus, we were and still are behind the curve on many things:

• We don’t have nearly enough groups.
  • We’re recruiting volunteers and releasing leaders on the fly.
  • We’re training newly hired staff.
  • We’re recruiting more staff.
  • We’re putting finishing touches on the building (including solving parking challenges).
  • We’re not close to having the programming in place.

In short, we’re building the airplane while it’s in the air. That’s okay. People understand and actually like it—if we lead well.

Though we don’t have everything the way we want it, we can make promises.

• We’ll be adding parking in the next few months so you won’t have to walk a quarter a mile! Thanks for being a great church and making it work!
  • We’ll be adding a Saturday night service one day so you don’t have to sit in the overflow! Thanks for understanding and still bringing your friends!
  • We’ll be starting our youth ministry in two months! It’s going to be amazing!
  • We’re looking for a junior high pastor right now! Pray God brings us the right one.
  • So many of you are new! We thank God you are here. Within the next month, we’ll have some meetings just to get to know you.

You don’t have to have it all today. Make promises for the future—then deliver.

Comments

1. May 6, 2010 at 7:04 am

“You don’t have to have it all today”… AMEN to this Craig! I have LEARNED that personally this week!

Please everyone pray for the Nashville Community..its is so much worse than what the National news has given us coverage. Nashville will Survive…Just SO much lost! “We quite probably experienced the costliest non-hurricane disaster in American history” The national news has given us on average 15 minutes…. please watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjaQoOdJvI&feature=player_embedded#! To see the real damage!

2. May 6, 2010 at 9:03 am

I have only 4 words to say: I love the vision!

3. May 6, 2010 at 9:33 am

That’s really wise.

It helps you focus on your strengths. Because you could start everything off immediately, but it would be really crappy :)

I’ve always loved how LifeChurch.tv has taught me to play to strengths - focus on the necessities (remembering that it’s not necessary to do everything).

This is great teaching for me because I always want to be good at everything. Here at the Univ. of Ok, I’ve wanted to take piano, violin, vocal, speech, religious studies, nonprofit, business, non-western culture and more classes! But I’ve realized I need to focus on what my God-given strengths are and work on those.

That’s what I see is happening at the Yukon campus and I love it! Focus, focus, focus! “You don’t have to do it all today.”

4. May 6, 2010 at 10:25 am

I like the way you think.

5. May 7, 2010 at 6:07 am

Craig, Praise and Blessing goes out to the staff at Life Church for reaching out to our local community!!!!! “Whooo-hoo! Raise The roof! Churn that butter! Roger Rabbit Ole school style!” Lol :)

I arrived on the scene of a devastated neighborhood to bring lunches with others and Tony Young, Missions Pastor Rolled up (like a force) with a team to hand out ESSENTIAL needs to the community donated by Life Church! BTW…Tony (your local staff) has truly been an example of Selfless Giving and Leadership through this hardship… so much so that TEMA personally called him and asked if HE was up and operational…LOL He said “ummm no I didn’t know I was an actual drop point? We are going to Lowes and giving what we can through Life Church!” Life Church is being a Bright Light in our Local community! Thank You SO Much!!!!! May God shower all of you and your families with “off-the-chart” blessings! Going back out today with a group from church… We Cant wait to Give!

6. 7Russellpage
    May 7, 2010 at 6:37 am

“Make promises for the future, then deliver.” Sounds like a good definition of leadership.

P.S. Way to go Lifechurch in delivering on the promise of taking good news to the people of Nashville. Praying for the Church as she reaches out during this time.