categories: LifeChurch.tv, communication, leadership, vision

April 15th, 2010

The Code: Writing the Unwritten

Instead of relying on unwritten rules to communicate our culture, we took the time to document them. None of these values are new. Bit by bit, they were woven into our conversations, meetings, and events. But having them written down allows us to communicate them effectively to new leaders and serves as a reminder and inspiration to our current leaders.

Here are a few more, and I’ll share the remaining ones tomorrow.

6)    We will do anything short of sin to reach people who don’t know Christ. To reach people no one is reaching, we’ll have to do things no one is doing.

7)    We will lead the way with irrational generosity. We truly believe it is more blessed to give than to receive.

8)    We will laugh hard, loud and often. Nothing is more fun than serving God with people you love!

9)    We will be known for what we are for, not what we’re against. There are already enough jerks in the world.

How do you communicate your church’s values?

Comments

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 5:39 am

There is no other way to say this…THESE ROCK! Words are sooooo powerful and can change life direction in seconds!!! I will “bet the farm” that this combined list will cause many to “DETOUR”…

Personal Favs….Laughing and Just say NO to JERKS!

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:15 am

Craig,

I wonder how close our values at Network Churches should be to the LC values? I know you communicate these values in your preaching either directly or indirectly, so the Network regularly hears them. As much as we would all say we want each church to have it’s God given identity there seems to be in my mind great value when we simply adopt these values and simply flesh them out in our community. Even though I cast vision on my blog or when I communicate, you will still have great influence and pairing our values may just accomplish more. As you say, we can do more together.

3. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:09 am

This is interesting because I am at a place that does not really have too much of code. So it is exciting to think that we are at a point where we can develop and define a list.

As far as the list you - love them!

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 9:27 am

really like these. the subtitle for #6 is better than the title too. It’s worth a book even.

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

[...] Groeschel knows the value of writing the unwritten. In a 3-part series on “Code,” he is sharing a fresh rework on why they do what they [...]

6. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:43 am

I’m excited to use some of these values in my leadership team meeting tonight!

I’m starting to really see the value of communicating vision (values, the importance of “i”, shared passion……and that’s all I can find right now to turn “vision” into an acronym :) )

Thanks again for your communication of this to us Craig! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to build us!

7. 7Sherrye
    Apr 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I JUST LOVE THESE, OUR CAMPUS LIFEKIDS PASTOR AND COORDINATOR HANDED THESE OUT AT A MEETING A FEW WEEKS AGO AND I THINK THEY ARE FABULOUS! THESE VALUES NEED TO BE SHARED WITH ALL MEMBERS OF LIFECHURCH.TV.

8. Apr 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I Love the values Craig, 8 & 9 are so often things most churches look past OR are just too busy or blind to see, great to see you guys have stopped and found it.
    M_

9. Apr 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love these! I’ve recently learned that unless you know what your values are you will struggle to define who you are, what you do, and why you do it.

10. 10West
    Apr 15, 2010 at 11:02 pm

wow. I sure like #9. All I hear much of the time FROM MY BROTHERS & SISTERS IN CHRIST JESUS are the things in which we’re against! I ALREADY KNOW THE THINGS WE’RE AGAINST. MOST OF THAT IS - - OBVIOUS - - IN OUR FAITH. Jesus said they will know us by the love that we have for each other. We’re together because of what we are for - - - not for what we are against. Thank you. I needed to contemplate that “unwritten” rule. God bless ya.

11. Apr 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm

First of all, I think these are pretty good, but I feel like there is more nuance than is being captured here - and if not, there should be.

For example, reaching people nobody is reaching…I think that stopping nothing short of sinning to reach people is actually quite dangerous. Sin is not the only thing that can wreck us and get us off track in our mission. Churches do it all the time, particularly

Perhaps you’re capturing the type of nuance that deals with that, but if you’re not, you need to.

12. May 1, 2010 at 9:10 am

[...] of these values are new. Bit by bit, they were woven into our conversations, meetings, and events. Read This Article Tags : Bit By Bit, Conversations, Culture, Meetings And Events, Unwritten Rules Category : [...]