categories: development, mentoring, personal

March 30th, 2010

Your Informal Board

Marcus Buckingham implied that all of us have an informal board of directors (“informal” is my phrase, not his). These are the people who regularly speak into our lives (although they may or may not even know it).

• Some people are helpful. Others are not.
  • Some propel us forward. Others hold us back.
  • Some are objective. Others are dangerously biased.

The people closest to us will often determine our destiny.

Who currently serves on your informal board? Do they know the important role they play in your life?

Comments

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:39 am

My wife for sure and my kids I would say speak into my life. You and others that I read your books and blogs and so forth. I have some friends in ministry that speak into my life through conversations.

I am sure if I thought longer I could have a longer list.

Thanks!

2. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:45 am

I LOVE this topic! God has personally challenged me to become VERY selective as to WHO and WHAT speaks into my life on the most intimate level…spiritual. I allow God to choose my friends/mentors and where to invest and where to learn. Every morning I listen to a podcast message from select pastors, read select blogs, and I have intentional friends that I allow to speak into my life Spiritually. I DO have MANY MANY awesome friends but I let God discern in my heart what, where and whom to invest in beyond a certain level. I am very thankful for this Blog and for all of the comments that I love to read..they help me question, grow, and seek even though I am not a pastor of a church…Thanks everyone.

3. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:42 am

I currently have 2 other pastors who speak into my life weekly. I would consider them the chairmen of my informal board.
    I have given them the permission to say anything that I need or deserve to hear to help keep me accountable and on track. It is some of the best relationships I have with any adults older and wiser than me. I consider it an honor to have them speak truth into my life.

4. Mar 30, 2010 at 11:09 am

I have several pastors that I regularly connect with. One is older and has 40 years of ministry experience… his perspective is rich. One who is very much like me, he is able to catch me when I’m not self aware or in denial. One that is a peer in ministry and keeps me accountable in every area. One who is younger than me and he regularly reminds me of that… and fires me up.

To be honest, after reading yesterdays post I am seriously looking at forming my personal board of directors with each of the above guys. I think the dynamic produced could be life changing for me.

5. Mar 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hmm…all I know is that I’m the worst person on my board…

6. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Ministry makes us have very thick skins or we will emotionally burn out; however, as the saying goes we must have a thin heart. You have to choose people to influence your life that can speak life, truth, and growth into your being. Growing in Christ is both horizontal and vertical. I don’t believe you can mature without a personal relationship with Him in prayer and the Word, but you also need a personal relationship with others in order precede to the next level. Often we are blinded by the intensity of our own shortcomings and need a light brought to it in order to make changes. Mentoring others and being mentored for me is essential. Looking, for those who can get through my thick skin in the ministry, is sometimes my biggest challenge. My board seems to change as my ministry needs change.

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I’ve got 4 ladies who serve as my accountability partners/ mentors/ prayer support/ counselors/ sounding boards. But recently, I’ve met a couple of men that I have learned a ton from too. I wonder to what degree I will be able to add them to my board. For some reason I never thought about men that way since my personal relationships with them are more distant.

The most challenging part of your post was to make sure those people know what a profound impact they have had in my life and how much I admire and appreciate each of them.

8. 8Amanda
    Apr 7, 2010 at 10:29 am

I have a couple amazing people who speak into my life on a very regular basis. The older I get the more I see how important it is to see the fruit of someones walk before allowing them to influence mine. Don’t get me wrong, I have had nonbelievers used to help me, but they don’t pour into me on a daily (and some days hourly) basis like the core group does.