categories: communication, development, mentoring, personal

March 29th, 2010

Your Personal Board of Directors

Life Church has a board of directors to oversee the affairs of the church. This board is comprised of three pastors, three lay people, and five staff members. Each person brings a unique set of gifts and perspectives that are invaluable for our church.

Recently I heard both Marcus Buckingham and Ken Blanchard talk about establishing your own personal board of directors. Instead of just inviting great leaders to speak into your church or ministry, why not establish a board to meet regularly to speak into your life?

This week I’ll write about developing your own personal board of directors.

If you currently do this, I’d love to hear from you.

Comments

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:04 am

I will be interested in reading these posts this week. My experience with this has been one of a guy who a personal board but from all appearances they were just Yes men (not Yes to Christ but Yes to the leader) who did not really challenge the leader. Again - it is the way it appeared and not necessarily the way it was.

Again - looking forward to what you have to say.

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:44 am

Just this year 4 guys from my band of brothers started a personal board of directors. We have a weekly call (one on one) to discuss our personal and spiritual goals, not as a “Well you didn’t do this or that”, but to encourage each other and pray for one another so that we can acheive what we feel like God is leading us into. So far it has been a wonderful and fulfilling discipline.

3. 3Clif
    Mar 29, 2010 at 7:54 am

That is a great idea! It would provide more accountability and development on a personal level. I can’t wait to see your thoughts on this all week.

4. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Our system is still a work in progress so I am looking forward to the weeks post.
    Right now each staff person has an elder they meet with weekly. The elders assignment is to encourage, pray with and walk with the staff. Elders also help me in watching for anything that might be going on in a staff persons life that I could be missing, it’s kind of a safety net for keeping things healthy. Because of the intimacy of this kind of relationship we have female elders for female staff and male elders for male staff. I meet with my elder on Wednesday every week and he has complete freedom to question everything (which he does) and challenge me to be a better leader. My favorite part of the meeting is every week he asks me “what are the specific things that are keeping me excited about leading our church?”
    I could see expanding this to a “personal board” I would just want to be able to maintain the spirit and purpose.

5. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

I actually have this in place in my life, but I never thought of it as a personal board of directors. I have one man, gifted in the area of finances, who keeps me accountable and focused in that area. Another close friend who is able to ask me any question, any time, about anything. Finally, my former youth pastor is my mentor/coach for our church plant.

All of these men keep my feet firmly planted in reality. They are not yes men. I thank God for bringing these men in to my life. They are a valuable gift.

6. 6Dave
    Mar 29, 2010 at 10:00 am

I guess my exception comes with the word “director” I don’t know that I need to be directed (as an organization needs directional leaders) as much as I need to be coached and held accountable to my God-given goals and aspirations. I have one person who acts as a personal coach, a staff member who holds me accountable to ministry goals, a layman who partners with me in shepherding my ministry area, and a couple who supports me by making me their personal prayer project. These for don’t necessarily confer with each other, but they do each have a vested interest in my “success”

7. Mar 29, 2010 at 11:16 am

I will be looking forward to reading the posts.

8. 8Brian Atkins
    Mar 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I first heard of this at Catalyst two years ago. Jim Collins encouraged all the young leaders to form their own personal board of directors. I did a couple months later and it has been a huge blessing in my life. I talk with all the men regularly and they have invested a lot into me. I would encourage all young leaders to take this step and form their own boards.

9. Mar 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm

When I began my first youth ministry position two years ago, I fell into a trap of it being “About me” I didn’t even realize I was doing this until I was worship band practicing, preparing lessons, setting up the room, driving vans, greeting every student, announcements, blah blah blah blah. And that was just a WEDNESDAY. I quickly began to surround people not only to deligate duties to, but to simply make sure our ministries had a check and balance system…mainly me. It was great and was able to incorporate this people willingly and “stretching-ingly” into speaking, leading worship, prayer, etc. It was a great move in the ministry there.

10. Mar 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Oooh I’m excited!

This will be perfect for me! I’m starting to realize more and more how I need this (especially after reading Andy Stanley’s “Next Generation Leader”)!

11. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:51 am

We set up 2 boards. An internal board which is made up of 3 staff members and 2 lay people. This board oversees the activities of the church, helps in hiring and provides some accountability to me as the senior pastor.

We also set up an outside board which is made up of 3 pastors in different cities. They provide oversight, accountability and operate as a compensation committee that sets my salary.

Craig, how often do u guys meet?

12. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:36 am

Hi Craig,

A personal board of directors is a great idea. Bill George, in his True North/Finding Your True North also speaks of having a personal board.

I’ve been a part of a mastermind group (similar to a board but meeting more frequently for purposes of collaboration and personal accountability) before for about a year where we met twice a month and brainstormed with each other and held each other accountable for our goals.

I would highly recommend either a mastermind group or personal board for anyone! Thanks for bringing this to people’s minds.

13. Mar 30, 2010 at 9:44 am

Thanks for putting this idea forward. I have just published a 24 page booklet on the benefits and how to set up a credible board. The booklet is called LIFE BOARD. I have served on such a board, helped others to form them, and by their request wrote up the concept. It is good to hear of others who are recommending it.

If you are interested in copies, contact Teaching The Word Ministries, mail@ttwm.org, to order LIFE BOARD, by Keith Yoder, $8.99. Quantity discounts available.

Keith Yoder

14. 14Rachel
    Mar 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm

This is off topic but reading the brief segment of your book gave me the idea for a book of my own. It would be titled ” Living “Christ-like”, “Christian” or whatever, without believing in “God.”