categories: Worship, church online

March 8th, 2010

Joel A’Bell from Hillsong - 1

We were blessed to have Joel A’Bell, Lead Pastor under Hillsong Church’s Senior Pastors Brian and Bobbie Houston, with us last week all the way from Australia.

In this session, we discussed some new things that God is doing at Hillsong and talked about developing a strong culture of worship.

Comments

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:41 am

God’s power is everywhere all over the world.

2. 2Kylie_V
    Mar 8, 2010 at 8:11 am

Sounds like the start of a great conversation! Would love to hear more…
    I’ve often asked the same questions about what makes the Praise & Worship part of a church experience sometimes so different from church to church. Some seem to really be able to draw in the whole congregation & create such an amazing atmosphere of the presence of God so that it’s undeniable and tangible, and others it feels so dry and lifeless & merely ‘just music’. But I have also been into churches where they try to create the atmosphere on hype rather than the genuine presence of God & from appearance it looks and sounds great, but at the core of it is really missing something. Perhaps we need a deeper understanding/revelation of John 4:23-24?

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

I loved what Joel said about long term ministry and consistent numerical growth. I think church leaders pull out too soon, get impatient when they don’t see explosive numerical growth. Press on leaders!

4. 4Eric Morris
    Mar 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

As a youth pastor I see this passion for worship in our youth services, but in our main service it’s there to be blunt. I would love to know how hillsong creates and fosters this same attitude across generational gaps, because obviously stylistically it geared for more of the younger generation. So how do they see engage the 50+ folks?

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

In 2005 I attended a couple of services in Hillsong London. It was fantastic. Just like watching one of their Live DVDs, but there was a plus: the music was top nutch, but the people of the church (I mean, regular members) were so warm. They asked my name, asked my cel number. And during the week they actually called me back!!!

I had to asked then why it was so perfect: this was their answer “Our connection with what, and the way we do it, is gonna be seen by others, and they might like to engage in such kind of connection with God as well”. It was a whole new concept for me: serving as a way of evangelizing!

But last year, I returned to London, but this time I got the previlege of joining a team, to serve. I joined the Coffee Team, part of the Hosting Team. You can’t imagine all the things that are done before and during the service. To sum it up: everything is done ir order to create the right atmosphere for new commers to feel as much confortable as possible so that they can receive the God News. Sunday service is an evangelistic activity. And the regular members are there to help to create this atmosphere. It’s abour serving the cause of Christ. You dont have to be a pastor to preach, but you can help serving tea and coffee and offering a big smile, or try to remeber next sunday the name of the person you served coffee last week.

After all this, you heart if so full of joy (for seeing people being served, returning to you a smile as they get in or out of the auditorium), that you really want to praise God.

The joy we see in the DVDS comes from serving hearts, not from hearts that come to be served. That’s HUGE.

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:28 am

(”Our connection with God, and…)

7. 7Rob in Madrid
    Mar 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

Very very interesting. I too would like to see the rest of the interview, it was just getting good. I too would like to know how they keep the small church feel, our church (Mountian View Madrid) is struggling with that now as we grow through the 200 person barrier (the point where most churches stop growing) many of us miss the closeness that a small expat chruch has.

8. Apr 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for putting this up!

Love the quote:
    The music spawned out of this authentic love relationship with God. We don’t come together and go, “Well you know, I didn’t really like the worship today. It really wasn’t up to my standard.” Well… Sorry, I didn’t realize it was for you… Thought it was for God.

Brilliant!