categories: culture, guest

February 5th, 2010

by Guest Blogger

Guest: Vince Antonucci

Today our guest blogger is Vince Antonucci, author of “Guerrilla Lovers: How to Change the World with Revolutionary Compassion” and a great example of someone who is willing to do things that aren’t being done, to reach those who aren’t being reached.  Vince is currently starting a church on the Vegas Strip, but I asked him to tell us a story from his book of when he started a church service in a bar.  Here’s Vince:

When we started the service in the bar, one of our people, Samantha, couldn’t help but notice the pregnant bartender. It turns out that she was an ex-stripper.  Apparently, there’s not much call for pregnant strippers, so she had to find a new job, which is why she started bartending at this pub.  But feeling like a guerrilla lover, not only couldn’t Samantha help but notice her, she also couldn’t help but start talking to her each week, and she couldn’t help but begin praying about how she could ambush this lady with God’s love. The answer God gave her was… a party.

She began sharing her idea with some of the other Forefront women and everyone quickly jumped on board. They had to act fast, because the bartender was only a few weeks away from her due date.  So Samantha and a few other ladies from our church went shopping and bought a boat load of baby-shower presents. Samantha called the bar manager and asked her to call the pregnant bartender in an hour early pretending it was really busy and they “needed extra help.” The manager complied and the bartender came rushing in … to a nearly empty bar, except for five women and a table full of presents and food, and a huge, “Surprise!!!”

She stopped in her tracks and just stared, not quite able to comprehend what was happening. When she finally got it she was even more stunned. She couldn’t understand why people she didn’t know would throw her a party. And not only were these people virtually strangers, they were Christians. Aren’t Christians against strippers, against bartenders, against women who get pregnant outside of marriage, and against parties? She was confused, and grateful, and pretty much speechless. Samantha says, “I think she had that feeling you get when you don’t know God or that He loves you, but then you discover for the first time that maybe he does. I think she felt that.”

And, by the way, that’s a great example of a guerrilla lover ambush, and I’m convinced that it’s the way we can have a real impact on people and the world.

Comments

1. 1ricvic
    Feb 5, 2010 at 7:38 am

I love this story, absolutely convinced it’s the kind of thing Jesus did.

2. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

I can’t wait to read your book. I think you’ve given me a cool name for what God has called my family to that my boys will relate to. Thanks for allowing God to use you in such bold ways. I will pray that God will make you even more bold! :)

3. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:43 am

WOW!!!

4. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

Thanks Kendra. Would love the prayers for boldness. And the fact that this is what you’re thinking about for your boys means they have a great mom!

5. Feb 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

Well, I can honestly say that I’m feeling rather challenged right now to ambush someone! Great post.

6. Feb 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

Thanks Daniel. Go do it!

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Great story…Stoked to get to read the book…I pray that it truly does start something large…

8. 8Curious
    Feb 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I know it doesn’t matter in terms of what we should do or not do–we should definitely do things like they did for this lady–I’m in 100% agreement. But I am curious… what’s this lady’s story AFTER the party? Did she begin to see God differently, or just appreciate the novelty of a few loving Christians? Did she give her life to Christ? Where is she now?

9. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm

GREAT stuff! I loved this!!

Reminds me of a new form of social entrepreneurship…simple actions of love!

Woohoo Vince! God’s using you bud! Let Him use you more!!!

10. Feb 6, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thanks Michael, Jared, and especially Craig for letting me be a part of your blog today!

11. 11sandy
    Feb 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

to love in Jesus’ name and not beat people over the head with the Bible - what a concept!!!

12. Feb 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

Love this. I was at a church where the womens ministry gave baby showers for all the pregnant women at the church. Then one of the girls in the youth group became pregnant and there was considerable debate about whether giving this girl a shower would send the wrong message. Someone suggested gifts be given but that the pregnancy should not be “celebrated”. Wonder if these broads would have given Mary a baby shower…

13. 13Samantha
    Feb 12, 2010 at 11:23 am

Dear Curious,

the bartender eventually had her baby and I only saw her a couple times after that. From those few times, which is now a couple years ago at this point, she did not start going to church or following Jesus. I don’t really know how she viewed our actions, whether just a novelty or some amazing gesture of love, but I pray it’s the latter. And even if it isn’t, I’d still do it again. I don’t know where she is now or what she’s doing but I hope that she sometimes remembers us and wonders about God.

Samantha

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Hey Vince, remember me? I used to live two doors down from you on Thorpe Ave. I have been checking out some of the information on you that is available on the internet. I think it is absolutely awesome that you are born again now. I would love to talk to you sometime. Drop by my blog or just send me an email. I see your mom from time to time at the Credit Union where I work. Talk to you soon.