categories: guest

January 26th, 2010

by Guest Blogger

Guest: Kendra Golden

Broken and Poured Out

Recently I felt led to reread the accounts of Jesus’ last supper. In both Matthew’s and Mark’s versions, the last supper is in the same chapter as the woman anointing Jesus with perfume. This time when I read them, the parallels between her story and the last supper leaped off the pages.

The woman broke her jar and poured out all of her perfume. She poured out everything that was of value to her—both her past savings and her future earning potential. Breaking her jar effectively eliminated her option of being able to return to keeping any for herself. She gave everything she had—past, present, and future—to Him. Jesus said that people would remember her remarkable love forever.

Then at the last supper, those same words appeared again: Broken and poured out. This time when I read Jesus saying, “Do this in remembrance of me,” I didn’t see him referring just to crackers and grape juice. He was beckoning me to do what He was doing: to be broken and poured out. Go all in. Hold nothing in reserve. Completely relinquish control. That’s what would truly commemorate what Jesus did. Not cherishing a ritual, but being a memorial. To live my life broken and poured out.

I realized He’s been whispering this to me for some time. For years, my husband’s favorite verse has been from John 6. Jesus had just finished teaching, “Eat my flesh. Drink my blood. Live like I’m showing you.” Everyone left—except the Twelve. Verses 68-69 hold Peter’s profound response: “Where else would we go? You’re the Christ.”

So that’s it then. Although I’m still discovering what that looks like, now I have no other options. I must live broken and poured out. And I may be wrong, but I suspect that’s a calling that may apply to all of us.

What would “broken and poured out” look like in your life?

Comments

1. 1Avery
    Jan 26, 2010 at 6:32 am

That’s good stuff…I love it when people look past the surface to find out what Jesus was really getting at…

When thinking about broken and poured out … I like to quote David, “I will not sacrifice what belongs to you, or make an offering to the Lord that costs me nothing” … 1 Chronicles 21:24

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 6:53 am

WOW! Kendra what a powerful comparison!!!!! Thank you for opening my eyes to the two stories and the similar message. You Rock!

Me…Broken=Dying to MY worldly self DAILY through CHOICE and awareness!!!

Poured Out=KNOWING WHO I really am in Christ and giving it away. We have to be FULL to pour out..I crave God’s word and wisdom and “The Overflow”

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:38 am

Kendra - your posts stand out to me on this blog. You enter the story of God here. there’s little pop culture feel good stuff. just gut level honest personal engagement with scripture. to me that’s what a pastor/disciple/leader does. thanks.

4. 4Terese
    Jan 26, 2010 at 8:31 am

Excellent! Really dovetails with things God has been showing me as our family is going through a life and ministry transition. Letting go of things that seem important in order to follow the call, but this helped me see that it goes beyond sacrifice to a heart attitude…that we do it out of love for Him. Period. Thanks, Kendra, for sharing your heart.

5. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:05 am

Awesome post! You were very transparent and I appreciate that.
    I came to brokeness and poured out everything four years ago. Ever since I could remember all I wanted was a life full of things. That day I told God that all I needed was Him and for Him to use me however he see fit. It was then I answered a call to ministry.

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:37 am

This weekend I worshiped at our South Oklahoma City campus where God said this to me again in the lyrics of Hillsong’s Desert Song: “I know I’m filled to be emptied again. The seeds I receive I will sow.”

I love reading your comments about how God has called you out to live this way. Doesn’t make me any less weird, but good encouragement still. :)

7. 7Bea Sprouse
    Jan 26, 2010 at 10:45 am

HUMMM—Some deep thinking! I whole heartedly agree—that is what Jesus is looking for from us. May we all die to self and walk forward in HIS calling in our lives.

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 11:57 am

Thanks for your message. I had never put the two passages together. I am challenged and blessed by your words.

God Bless

9. 9Dave Marrett
    Jan 26, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hi K - thanks for wrestling the truth from this most awesome passage of scripture - you brought out precisely my journey of recent days which echo the words of Peter - where else can I go, you are the Christ.

10. 10Allyson
    Jan 27, 2010 at 9:50 am

Wow! Haven’t seen that analogy. Kendra you always inspire me to press in and look for the majesty in the words themselves.

11. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm

WOW ~ yeah, so I’m not even sure how to go about that… I need to be broken & poured out, I’m getting to the broken part, but I don’t think I have ever really entered the “poured out” place. Can’t imagine what that looks like, but I want to be there, or at least I want to want, want to be there ;).

12. 12Carolyn Smalley
    Feb 8, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Thank You Kendra, I don’t catch on quickly, but after reading this three times the two sentences “Hold Nothing In Reserve.” “Completely Relinquish Control.” Stood out in bold letters.