categories: guest

January 25th, 2010

by Guest Blogger

Guest: Scott Rodgers

Attitude Isn’t Everything, But…

I read a book titled ‘Attitude Is Everything’.  I didn’t believe it. Now, many years later, I still don’t believe it. I believe attitude is the critical starting point. Our attitude, positive or negative, dramatically affects our experience and our outcome.

A positive attitude is like wearing TAG body spray; everyone wants to get close to you.  A negative attitude is like going three days without a shower; no one wants to get close to you.

Some observations I’ve made about those with a positive attitude:

1. They have a Positive Presence. They non-verbally communicate positivity.  They have energy, look excited, and their posture says, “I’m glad to be here.”
  2. They take a Positive Approach. They think first of how we can before why we can’t. Their world view is can do.  Even when facing the impossible, those with a positive attitude believe in the possibilities.
  3. They give a Positive Response. They’re teachable.  They own the results without making excuses.  Their first response is, “thanks for the feedback.”

Attitude isn’t everything, but it is something that can’t be ignored. I’ve struggled with a bad attitude more often than I’d like to admit.  Am I alone?  What do you do to keep a positive attitude?

Comments

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:21 am

My personality tends to be an “up” one. So it hasn’t been hard for me to see the positive in most situations. When I have those times of “down” or those times when things don’t seem to be going right, I try to remember three things: 1) God is in control; 2)I will come out of this and 3) what can i learn from this? I think I read that same book and probably feel less like that now than I did then. :) Good thoughts Scott. Thanks

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

Hey Scott,
    Great post. Positive attitudes have always come easy for me. I’m not bragging. In fact I feel a bit guilty for being so positive and upbeat most the time. I was caught up short, however, by a colleague as we talked about this. His point of view was that for those of us that are by “nature” more that way, God is going to expect more of us. That made me wake up and pay attention. If God has gifted us with a positive attitude, He has done it for a reason. We better take every opportunity to use it for His Kingdom.
    Thank you Scott.
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 8:22 am

Scott…The mind is the Battlefield ground for battle…we are always having to re-shift focus back on track…Great post…

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:01 am

When I get the bad attitude I just try and focus back on God’s goodness to me and the fact that I should always be positive and full of joy. I think a joyful heart will keep us more positive even when the negative times come and go.
    Good thought Scott. Thanks!

5. 5Jim
    Jan 25, 2010 at 10:08 am

Phil 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:45 am

I am with Jim on this…Phil 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus…
    Whenever I have a bad attitude I will stop in my tracks and ask myself, “Am I living up to Christ’s standards? I am afraid that I have had to ask myself this too much…

7. 7david jarrett
    Jan 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm

its very hard to keep a good attitude when you are around a lot of people that have a negative attitude. I had my plant manager tell me one time to never change, he loved my happy go lucky attitude. but some people I work with were always trying to bring me down, just because they were not in the mood I was in. Some you can tell are just upset that I can come in the mornings smileing and having A great day. It has got to be so depressing to feel that way to a person that is so full of life to want to bring them down.

8. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Scott, I like your observations. I need to work on the positive approach you mentioned. When I find my attitude dipping, I pray God would give me His perspective on the situation.

9. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Scott,

I usually don’t comment on blogs, but this one hits very close to home for me. First, you are not alone in this for sure, even if it is only you and I who struggle with negative attitudes at times.

It is very hard for me to keep a positive attitude in a situation where I either, don’t understand the vision, or don’t agree with the vision. In asking God to reveal my heart, it has been shown to me that my negative attitude is a result of my being judgemental.

At which point “stop judging others and you will not be judged” comes to mind. My positive attiude comes when I choose (and it is a battle sometimes) to remember “don’t be judgemental.” What ever the situation maybe, it is my job either as the leader or follower to glorify God and let Him be in control. Knowing that nothing surprises God and that He really is in control is my source of joy and positive attitude. I mean I get to play a part in His plan, how is that not epic?

10. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm

David - keep it up. Bring the smile. Be who God is shaping you to be. The old cliche’, don’t be a thermometer, be a thermostat. :)

Dana - I hear ya, thanks for sharing. Getting God’s perspective is so hughe.

Mason - It’s great to hear that you’re aware of where you’re at. When in times of not understanding or disagreeing, I try and pray, ‘God, what are you trying to do IN ME during this season?’ That helps me open up to the Spirit’s work and usually causes the situation to turn out very good. Thanks for your comments.

11. 11Carter
    Jan 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm

That is an interesting perspective about the body spray i will have to remember that. I agree that a positive attitude does tremendous things. Charisma (woo)is a gift not given to everyone. Its the ability to smile, show excitment and sell yourself even when you are feeling lousy. My gift is practicality although charisma would have gotten me much farther if I had it , practicality has helped me to survive when events are out of my control. I am practical with a positive attitude. I do believe those 3 things when life spirals downward. God has control, this too will pass, and what am I to learn from this situation. Now I will have to make sure I give my attitude a shower every now and then ;).

12. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:28 am

Good post Scott!

13. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:05 am

I try to remind myself that my joy comes from God regardless of what’s going on around me. So I find myself saying, “Well, this sucks, but I have joy in my heart” an awful lot. As long as I remind myself of that one fact, it’s much easier to stay positive and not dwell on negative aspects of my situation.

14. Jan 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I think that Philippians make the point of Jesus having the attitude that we shold have but I like what Frankle says about this - “… everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s own attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

I will rejoice - is a definate statement from Psalms too which shows how we are to choose our attitude.

Good thoughts

15. 15Patricia Kozlowski
    Jan 27, 2010 at 2:13 pm

The best way for me to keep a positive attitude is to begin my day in the WORD. Once I firmly grasp that GOD is in control,that frees me to spread the sunshine of HIS love.Easy?No.Doable?Yes.Oh,David?Positivity=good,shouting a greeting to your neighbor in the morning=not so good.Look to proverbs to guide you to the middle ground.