categories: LifeChurch.tv, church, future, leadership, vision

January 21st, 2010

What I’m Learning through our Fast

We’re nearing the end of a 21-day fast at LifeChurch.tv, and this morning I’ll be talking with our staff about some of the ways God is speaking to me during this time. I thought I’d take a few minutes and share with you as well.

I’m reading through the Bible in 90 days, and something in the Old Testament has stood out to me. God kept doing these crazy huge miracles, and after each one the Israelites would soon start complaining “What’s God done for us lately?” Parting the water, manna from the sky, water out of a rock, and next thing you know they’re whining, “Now what are we going to do?!”

It didn’t take long for them to forget. The same goes for us.

In the 14-year history of LifeChurch.tv (which is a very short span of time from an Old Testament perspective), God has done some remarkable things. Yet, even for those of us who experienced it firsthand, it’s been easy to lose sight of just how much He’s done. We focus so intently on moving forward that we can feel it isn’t worthwhile to look back.

We need to do something to remember all God has done and all God is doing.

Not because the past demands our attention, but because the future demands that our focus is on Him. We have to keep God’s work present in our minds, or we’ll be tempted to rely on our own abilities and forget the role He’s played.

To move forward, we have to look to the past.

How do you remember God’s work in your church and in your life?

Comments

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

I typically write everything down. Whenever, God comes through in a way that only He can, I will pull out a pen and paper or sit at my computer and type it out. Every once in a while I will go back through and read those things and I am reminded how He provides and He can and does come through. The funny thing is that sometimes I may not realize He came through until much later because the results were different than (I) had anticipated. When this happens I will go and do the same thing as before…get it written down…I am a young minister, but God has came through and provided, restored, and comforted too many times to list. Thanks Bobby for the reminder today.

2. 2Jesiah Hansen
    Jan 21, 2010 at 10:16 am

Wow I totally feel in the flow now haha God has been speaking that to me these past two weeks!!! thanks man its really encouraging!!!…

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 11:13 am

You said, “We focus so intently on moving forward that we can feel it isn’t worthwhile to look back.” I think my problem is more, “I focus so intently on moving forward that I FORGET to look back.”

One of my biggest struggles is that I’m so driven to do the next thing just right that when things come up (like they always do), I see the problem at hand and immediately try to develop a solution without ever taking the time to remember God handled the same problem in His way the last time.

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Fasting is a great exercise and God will bless!

I have not come up with a good plan but writting things down makes the most sense.

5. 5Andrew Choy
    Jan 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Am interested to ask if you/your other pastors/church have fasted since lifechurch conception through to this day?!

6. Jan 22, 2010 at 6:52 am

One of the ways we chose at our church to remember God’s working in our lives and church was by creating a wall that we call “Stones of Remembrance” of past ministry highlights as a testimony of God’s wonders in our lives. On this wall we have articles, pictures, flyers, programs and other momentos to cause us to rethink back on what miracles God has done. The idea came from the Old Testament in the book of Joshua when the Israelites was crossing the Jordan river and planted 12 stones from each tribe to remember God’s mighty acts for generations to come.

7. Jan 22, 2010 at 7:22 am

Bobby what a TIMELY post! What can I do to remember God’s work in my life… (me) reflection.

I have noticed the same thing in the OT lately…Even in the garden…Adam and Eve sinned and the next thing God is MAKING clothes for them…I never caught that….or how many times people would (still do) cry out when they are in NEED…God answered them and when things got “better” they re-focused on self, flesh, and objects. (sound familiar to today?…hmmm) God’s grace and mercy are relentless. If people hurt me as much as we have hurt God in his grace…I would be done with them for GOOD. He did even wipe out peoples when there was no hope…I pray with our moral decline in the world..when God says enough…it is time..we will be ready!!!

I ask myself and I will pose the same question to others…Do we have true fear and reverence of God or is he just a daily check off the list and back to focusing on this world or being “spiritual”…I pray God helps me see him and KNOW him in ALL that I do.

8. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:49 am

Learning to take seasons and times to fast and seek God has been one of the most amazing experiences of my spiritual life. This is our 2nd church wide fast to start the year off. The stories and clarity that people have during these fasts has been so amazing.

9. 10david jarrett
    Jan 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm

don’t know if this fits in with what the point is, But a thought that just entered my mind. Are we doing as a person and church what God and Jesus wants us to do? I pray for all and hope all will pray for me as a person and our church [ fourriverschurch.com ] as we are going through a huge step in the next few weeks.

10. Jan 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm

David we will definately pray for you guys…

11. 12Andrew Choy
    Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25 am

Bobby, thanks for your reply. You understood me well. I’m a pastor in Australia myself, and lately I’ve also been led by the Lord to engage in extended fasting for personal renewal and church revival. On one hand, I want to see God’s mighty work here in my small church and our city, and on the other hand, I’m embarking on a somewhat academic study / research on the relationship between church growth and fasting. So I would love to hear more about what fasting (& prayer) does to different churches.

12. Jan 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm

That is awesome Bobby!

13. Jun 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm

[...] shifted our focus to people who are new to LifeChurch.tv. I’ve posted already about the way we offloaded some online functionality to Facebook, and that shift allowed us to [...]

14. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:02 pm

15. 16verna
    Jan 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I was wanting to know if the church did a Daniel’s fast, water fast, or different for each individual. Even though yours has ended, it has inspired me to start. Just wondering what others are doing or what is the best, thanks, Verna