categories: I'm curious, encouragement, generosity, personal, sacrifice, spiritual development

January 14th, 2010

Personal Generosity

Several pastors have complained to me that most people in their churches are not generous. I’m guessing that the churches are a reflection of its leaders. If our ministries aren’t generous, it is probably because we aren’t.

Several years ago, God started moving our family toward a much more intentional life of generosity. Not surprisingly, our church has followed.

Dave Ramsey is one of the best Christian financial teachers in the world. For years, we’ve embraced his teaching faithfully.

Dave has always encouraged people to “live like no one else, so one day you can live like no one else.” In other words, if you sacrifice, live beneath your means, save and invest, one day you’ll have the freedom to do far more than most.

In our family, we’ve altered the phrase slightly  (and I’m certain Dave would be supportive).

We will live like no one else, so we can give like no one else.

As God blesses us with more, instead of drastically increasing our standard of living, we’ve decided to drastically increase our standard of giving.

Why stop at giving 10%, 12%, 30% or 50%? Because God has given us more, we believe we’re called to give more.

Comments

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:14 am

I started on Dave’s plan in ‘05. Debt of all kinds was out of sight. I decided then that it was time to get out of debt. I was used to being generous but being overwhelmed by debt put a big crimp in that plan. Although situations have come up (medical especially) that have slowed the train somewhat, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am working to get out of debt not so we can buy more but give more. I absolutely 100% agree with this post Craig (not that you needed my approval) :) and do believe that the pastor/leaders set the tone for the rest of the church. Generosity begets generosity. Have appreciated reading these all week.

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

Thank you for the post this morning Craig. Our Sr. Pastor talks about the personal giving he does in his sermons on a regular basis. I think that has helped our congregation become more generous as well. Also he doesn’t do it in a prideful way either. He does it in a way that says he’s still working on this whole area of his life.
    Our family keeps working on increasing our giving each year, and having something ready to give when a need arises.
    Thank you once again. This has been a great week of posts!
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:51 am

Good Encouragment! My wife and I are praying for Financial freedom and working hard toward it, all while trying to be as generous as possilbe.

4. 4Treyn00
    Jan 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

Pastors,
    You’re probably wondering how to let your church know how generous you are without sounding proud or boastful. Craig never talks about how much he gives. I’ve been with LifeChurch for about 10 years now and I have no idea what charities or organizations Craig contributes to. He does frequently tell stories about his family’s desire to give. He tells how Amy doesn’t like birthday presents. She prefers an increase in her giving budget each year. Recently he told the story of one of his girls coming to him with all their money wanting to give it to a specific charity. This relays the generosity of his family without being proud or boastful.
    Great approach.

5. 5david jarrett
    Jan 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

we are doing the Dave Ramsey series in about 5 weeks at our church. That was my new years goal this year.1 to give 12% of my gross, and a lump sun to our go nuts fund when tax refund gets here.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Man…I love to give…always have…always will. I remember being 7 and “seeing” the first homeless person on the corner street of Chicago and it BROKE me…I cried for weeks and prayed for that man ( I can still see him) …I even made my parents END EVERY night prayer from that point on with..” God Bless especially the poor people..Amen”…I have no power (only by God) to help all but I truly have SUCH a burden for those in pain and Need…Right now my heart rests on Haiti…man to see those people with no help and no food…makes me want to run and go get them all…

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

“And as we as leaders give more, our churches will reflect God’s heart of generosity.” That’s the one and only thruth. thnx for encouragement to make a difference this sunday.

8. Jan 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

[...] (http://swerve.lifechurch.tv/2010/01/14/personal-generosity/) « My wish [...]