categories: accountability, development, future, personal, recommendations, spiritual development

January 7th, 2010

One Thing to Claim

As you strive to please God in 2010…

• What is one promise you need to claim?

Even though Samuel had anointed young David as the future King of Israel, for years it looked like it would never come to pass.

When David found himself again on the run from King Saul, he tried to find safety among the Philistines. Deciding his best play was to act crazy, he found himself awkwardly caught between a rock and a hard place.

That’s when David implied that there were many things he didn’t know. But there is one thing he did know for sure. Psalm 56:9-10 in TLB says, “This one thing I know: God is for me! I am trusting God-oh, praise his promises! I am not afraid of anything mere man can do to me! Yes, praise his promises.”

Although David didn’t know much, he knew that God was with him.

Scripture is full of God’s promises. Here are a few.

God promises:

• To meet every need you have from his riches. (Phil 4:19)
  • You won’t be tempted beyond what you can handle. (1 Cor 10:13)
  • To forgive all your sins. (Eph. 1:7; 1 Jn. 1:9)
  • To make everything work for your good. (Rom 8:28)
  • He’d never leave you or forsake you. (Heb 13:5)
  • To be your ever present help in trouble. (Ps. 46:1)
  • To give strength to the weary and power to the weak. (Isa 40:29)
  • To guide you and give you direction. (Ps. 32:8)
  • To give you a peace that goes beyond your understanding. (Phil 4:7)
  • To give you power to defeat Satan (James 4:7)
  • Nothing would separate you from God’s love. (Rom. 8:39)
  • You are more than conquerors. (Rom. 8:37)
  • Eternal life through Christ (John 10:27-28)

What one promise (not limited to this list) do you need to claim?

Comments

1. 1andrew Miller
    Jan 7, 2010 at 7:42 am

that he will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trust in God (Isaiah 26:3) and that he is capable of more than all we ask or imagine (Eph 3:20)

2. Jan 7, 2010 at 7:50 am

Psalm 37:4,5 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD;trust in him and he will do this:

For me I want to delight myself in the Lord so that my desires and his desires match and he gives me the desires of my heart.

Thanks for the thoughts

3. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

“To guide me and give me direction”…about some areas of my life. I am listening intently :)

4. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’m clinging to the promise that God’s strength is being made perfect in my weakness, all for His glory.

5. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m clinging to the promise that His plans are perfect in their timing. I am patiently calling on Him to do what He wants through me, my family and our church in 2010…not what I want.

6. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:52 am

The Promises are encouraging….I read them picturing T.D. Jakes quoting them with his growling voice and all his church raising the roof and amlost went Pentecost there for a moment.
    Great series of posts on One Thing.

7. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:17 am

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 2 Peter 1:3 NLT

8. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:59 am

These two are for me!
    To give strength to the weary and power to the weak. (Isa 40:29)
    To guide you and give you direction. (Ps. 32:8)

9. 9david jarrett
    Jan 7, 2010 at 11:20 am

to claim that I am responceable to see the word of god spread through and through. and accountable for my 2 boys walk with christ.

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm

My wife and I are taking a faith-filled risk in 2010, to give more than we can afford and to rely on God to meet all our needs.

We need to break free from our security in finances and truly trust in God alone. Its scary and we’d appreciate your prayers.

You can follow our journey as we post our journal online (just click my name in the header). We’d appreciate the support and the chance to share our journey with you.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

ANY promise God wants to bring into my life…I want to claim, live and KNOW. These are all SO amazing and as you stated there are many more in The Word…I can’t pick just one for me…I am greedy, I want them all…LOL!!! “The JOY of the Lord is MY strength”

12. 12Avery
    Jan 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm

This promise brings me peace:

” Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness—
    and I will not lie to David-
    that his line will continue forever
    and his throne endure before me like the sun;

it will be established forever like the moon,
    the faithful witness in the sky.”

Jesus will reign forever, and ever… though everything should try to blot Him out… it will fail… the Lord God has sworn it!

13. Jan 8, 2010 at 12:01 am

It’s pretty simple but I forget it so easily… I need to remember that Jesus said, “I will be with you always, to the very end of the age.” He promised to be with the original disciples in Spirit as a Guide and a Counselor and that same promise carries over to “those who would come.” I tend to face problems like I’m the only one who can fix them and if, for some reason, I don’t get it fixed, the whole world will fall apart. So many seasons of my life would have been so much simpler if I’d just remembered a littler sooner that Jesus is there, waiting to counsel and guide and be the One who fixes the problem.

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:27 am

Well I’m not a fan of the “name it, claim it” fanfare, but I do believe that God has promised his people some things (though not what the prosperity preachers would have us believe).

How about this? I am going to claim that as I remain in Christ, he will remain in me.

15. 15abe!
    Jan 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

That He will make me strong when I am weak! I need He’s power to keep me strong! To grow, trust and to love Him beyond anything I’ve ever loved!

16. Mar 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm

[...] LifeChurch.tv has some awesome leadership posts…This is a great one to use as encouragement for the upcoming year. [...]

17. May 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm