categories: I'm curious, accountability, development, encouragement, personal, priorities, spiritual development

January 5th, 2010

One Thing You Lack

When it comes to your relationship with God…

• What  one thing do you lack?

When a rich young man encountered Jesus, he wanted to know what he must do to receive eternal life. Jesus told him to obey all the commands. The confident up-and-comer believed that he’d been obedient since he was a child.

Mark 10:21-22 records what happened next. “Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Unfortunately, there was one thing that stood in the way of this man and his pursuit of the fullness of God in Christ: his love of his stuff. Sadly, he was unwilling to address this one hindrance.

What about you? What one thing is keeping you from further serving Christ? Maybe you have drifted from your study of God’s word or from prayer? Maybe you lack true and strong accountability? Perhaps your life is void of close Christian friends. Maybe you’ve been gripped by the things of this world rather than God’s kingdom.

Be honest. When it comes to your relationship with God, what one thing do you lack?

Comments

1. 1Avery
    Jan 5, 2010 at 6:10 am

The struggle with sin … my sinful desires always get in the way with my relationship with God …

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:48 am

I lack a strong prayer life, one that is committed to praying deeply. I also lack accountability. Oops sorry that is two.

3. 3Stacey
    Jan 5, 2010 at 6:59 am

Faith. Within myself, within God, within others. I allow my “daddy” goggles to cloud my view of what Christ has for me. I settle for less and accept that as Gods best instead of being “still” and allowing God to be God.

4. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:09 am

Craig..This Message is so strong, I LOVE it..I am SOOO excited God has prompted you to challenge others (myself included) to be the best that they (we) can be and examine ourselves at the core.

I lack stone cold RAW faith when really bad and UNKNOWN things happen ( I ask…how could this be good in ANY way?)…I drift into fear, it seems natural to fear when things look really grim and UNKNOWN. I should by God’s word “fight the GOOD fight.” I honestly lack the BEST fight I have in me when fear presses me down. I need God to help me remember to put my spiritual TKO gloves on and go for it…even though My Knees are weak and I don’t think there is any way “I” can face or “do” the “Fear thing”…Man I hate fear…(”Momma said knock you out”..wow ,where did LL Cool J come from…LOL!!!)

5. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:32 am

Do I just have to give one thing? I have many!
    Prayer, consistency, accountability are just the first three that come to my mind.

6. 6Scott
    Jan 5, 2010 at 7:39 am

I have an extensive list of that “ONE” thing I lack. I’m going to be praying today that the Spirit reveals the ONE thing He sees as my greatest need. That’s the only way to deal with our fallen state…ONE lack at a time, to become more like Christ. Thanks Craig for reminding & challenging us.

7. Jan 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

I’m with you Jim, not sure I can pick just one!

8. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:35 am

I struggle with trusting where He is leading me and not thinking my way is better.

9. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

If you have more than one it’s unlikely you will work on all at once (or you would have already). Pick one. Deal with it. After that success, pick another to deal with.

10. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Timing…I am not going to say the “p” word cause that always brings a slew of problems itself.

11. 11david jarrett
    Jan 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm

faith, is 1 among many others.

12. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Faith. It always comes down to lack of faith.

13. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

From God’s perspective, I lack nothing (Eph. 1:3 among others). But from my perspective, I lack way too much. LIke others said - hard to narrow it to just one. But I’ll try to follow Tom’s advice.

2009 was a wonderful year of spiritual growth, and I’m expecting 2010 to be even more so, but the closer I get to God, the more aware I am of my unworthiness and His holiness.

That’s why I am SO thankful for His amazing grace!

Great post, Craig. Thanks.

14. Jan 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

consistency

15. Jan 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Christian friends / accountability!

16. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I lack a disciplined prayer life. I read God’s Word, I meditate on God’s Truth, I preach God’s Message, but I don’t find myself just talking to Him and listening for Him as much as I would like.