categories: I'm curious, accountability, development

January 4th, 2010

“One Thing” Questions

For the new year, I’m asking myself four “one thing” questions. I’ll share one a day with you.

• What one thing do you desire from God?

When David found himself afraid and on the run, he begged God for one thing.

He wrote in Psalm 27:4, One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”

If you can name the one thing you desire God to do, it will bring laser focus to your prayers.

Maybe above all else, you desire a loved one to know Christ. Or you need to hear God’s voice. Or you need God’s healing in your marriage or body. Perhaps you crave the power of the Holy Spirit in your preaching. Or you need wisdom handling a rebellious child.

As you seek God in 2010, what is the number one thing you desire from God?

Comments

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 6:59 am

The “one thing” I am asking of God is that He take me “Deeper” into Him-His Word, His Love, His Intimacy.

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:26 am

The “One thing” I desire is to see Christ make a difference in me, my family, my church, and my community.

3. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Funny how David ask for one thing, but mentions three: dwell, gaze, seek. I’d like that to be my ‘one thing’.

4. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:45 am

So I read the post and then spent some time thinking about this. My “One thing” is that my grand children follow strong after God and all become part of our family’s ministry legacy.
    Thank you Craig for the question!
    Blessings,
    Dave

5. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:51 am

For the salvation of my three daughters at an early age.

6. Jan 4, 2010 at 8:44 am

My one thing would be leading my family even stronger spiritually through our prayer and family devotional times.

7. 7david jarrett
    Jan 4, 2010 at 8:51 am

Just gotta sy that after hearing so your dead now what part 3. I done a sacrafce of my own! a women at our church[ fourriverschurch.com ] has 3 kids and the best I could tell no tv or nothing. done a sacrafice on my gifts and bought for her and her kids. when pastor Calob and myself went to drop them off, I didn’t even see 1 gift under the tree. could’t believe this was happening only 10 miles from my house! truely rewarding to see those 3 kids grying there eyes out.Everone who can read this ther are people in our own neck of the woods we all can help. Now pastor Calob and myself have started a recycle room for old workijg toys or tvs at a room in our church for the needy. after my 2 boys christmas we had a lot to donate to make way for the new. thanks Groesh for such a true sermon, I was touched and blessed!

8. 9jimmy paravane
    Jan 4, 2010 at 10:15 am

can I have what David asked for? Pretty please? With cherries on top?

9. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

First…I have to get this out of my head before I can answer…I keep remembering City Slickers…”Curly” also new the answer to life…it was ONE THING! ….Ok, much Better now! HA!

My One thing…I am seeking daily wisdom. I really mean this. I want God’s wisdom to find me every day…ALL day long. I want to hear God over the “noise” in EVERY Situation. I want him right there next to me in EVERYTHING I do, In Every thought, Every victory, Every Mistake…just EVERYTHING. I want to carry God with me as I carry myself. Here is what I mean… I simply can’t get away from me even if I would like to at times HA! I truly just want God in ALL that I am and all that I do! AaaaaMEN.

10. Jan 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This year, I went to grow closer to God than ever before!

I’m intentionally reading/praying more - reading deeply is where I feel my closest connection w/God :) Especially when I preach to myself while reading - I know it sounds crazy, but God speaks to me through it!

11. 12Avery
    Jan 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm

To know Him more this year, deeper, and closer than last year…

I know kind of cliche, but I’m serious… this is the one thing I ask… to me nothing else matters as much…

12. 13Isaac Woodby
    Jan 5, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Here is my one thing, not for just this year, but for all my days.

“I want to be radically OBEDIENT to the Spirit of God, and as a result, fulfill the Great Commission in a fun, exciting, and powerful way never before seen on Earth.”

If I could have that, I would be satisfied. The one thing I want more than anything is obedience. That’s my “Solomon request”. I’ve lived in radical disobedience and I’ve seen the fruit of that. (Getting tested for HIV is never fun, trust me.) Yet the fruit of my obedience has been so amazing I can’t stand the idea of not growing and pruning that into large and healthy tree.

13. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I want my heart to break for what breaks God’s heart. I want to take a stand for what God loves and against what God hates. I want my confidence in Him to be stronger than my intimidation from Satan.

Is that just one thing? Kinda, I guess… :)

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

Interestingly, though, after “one thing” comes more than one thing. I have some more thoughts here.

-Joel

15. Jan 9, 2010 at 10:39 pm

For 2010, purity is my “one thing”. Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”

Amen