categories: church, leadership, recommendations

November 10th, 2009

Prepare for Attacks

During a season of blessing, your staff and volunteers will be working overtime. Because the ministry is so exhilarating, your best people will gladly make huge sacrifices to be a part.

Watch out! Your spiritual enemy is roaming and looking for someone to devour.

While riding the wave:

• You will be hiring fast.
  • You will be plugging new believers into significant roles.
  • You will be working grueling hours away from home.

At times, you might feel invincible. At other times, you’ll feel overwhelmed and scared. At all times, you must realize Satan will attack you.

Put up your guard. Have the highest level of accountability. Take time off. Rest. Listen. Pray. Reflect.

You must watch for warning signs. Too many great spiritual leaders have fallen off the wave, hurting themselves and others.

Decide you will do whatever it takes not to be another casualty. Ride the wave. But do it carefully.

Comments

1. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:15 am

This is one of those areas that just motivates me probably out of fear. As I see and hear of pastors fall, some right in the middle of growth and the wave. I need to be on the watch for the Evil One who is seeking to kill and destroy. Thanks for the reminder because this is of utmost importance.

2. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:23 am

Be on guard! Thanks Craig. Praying for you.

3. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:36 am

KOWABUNGA!!!!!! love this… “Decide you will do whatever it takes”….A”sista” and I were talking at Big Show that Satan only has so many tricks in his bag. As soon as we recognize what they are for us as individuals we can QUICKLY shut “er” down and PRESS ON! He is sneaky but he is also obvious! Kind of Like when you hear the “JAWS music”…you know the Shark is about to bite the smack out of someone. Great Post!

4. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:51 am

Continuing the theme: The riptide that took us out was not a moral one at all. It was something much more insidious: anger and then gossip. Anger that a change was made (that was not good) by one of the staff and then the gossip kicked in. I/we were not prepared for the tsunami that hit. I mean, all was going so well, then it was like a volcano erupted. I know we are all on the lookout for moral falls but keep an eye out for the other junk the enemy baits you with as well.

5. Nov 10, 2009 at 8:44 am

note to self: hiring fast, plugging new christians into significant roles and working grueling hours away from home doesn’t bring the wave.

6. Nov 10, 2009 at 9:36 am

I seem to be reading a blog post almost every day telling ministers to be careful and not get burned out. Yet so many ministers are leaving the ministry due to that very problem. Is no one paying attention?

7. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:15 am

I’m just starting a new plant up in Montana. And of the people that I’ve lead to the Lord or back to the Lord, the one thing that has helped them stay dedicated was the huge warning I shared with them when they got saved.

Rather than tell them everything was now going to be just fine or that all is right with the world, I shared with them to be on the lookout because satan was not going to look to attack them in ways that they hadn’t seen yet. And he did. But they were ready and because of the warning were not knocked off their feet and are still serving God now.

And I agree with the other pastor that said that he watches out for this stuff out of fear. I’m with him. I don’t want to ruin my marriage, ruin my reputation or bring more reproach on the name of Christ so I’m constantly watching out for this stuff.

This is a war and bullets and bombs are constantly flying. We have to make sure we clothe ourselves in the armor of God daily so we can stand and not fall or fail in front of our enemy.

Thank you Craig for this wonderful post and timely reminder. May God continue to bless your ministry and may you continually preach the truth of the Word of God without fear.

8. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:17 am

The three bullet points sound on target. I have a son who’s riding the wave in a ministry where the leader has fallen off the wave. The ripple effects through the rest of the team have been brutal. They are still trying to recover. The great thing is the wave is still moving strong.
    Thank you so much for these reminders.
    Blessings,
    Dave

9. Nov 10, 2009 at 11:20 am

GREAT ADVICE.

Recently heard that 90 percent of pastors will not retire as Pastors.

Sobering.

10. 11Kurt
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:24 am

Good stuff. I’ve been noticing in the gospels the Jesus had seasons of prayer “on the mountain tops” and “in the desolate places”. God seems to call us to another level in the high times and the low times. It’s harder to lean into him in the high times, when the need for dependence isn’t as apparent, but like you are saying, that’s the time to lean in strong. Blessings!

11. Nov 10, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Honestly - I think you should consider writing an article called “Enjoy the Wave” ha ha! We sometimes tip toe through our ministry scared to celebrate anything - we so strongly believe what you have said - to beware of the enemy.

I recently talked to some leaders asking them if they thought the fact that we are always watching for the next bad thing robs us of ever celebrating?

We are in such a time of peace - those who were struggling within our ministry have found 2 men to follow that started their own ministries just a mile from us. This has left us very healthy at the moment.

So what is the balance? I would love to run, laugh and be thankful for God blessings, to truly enjoy the season - not tip toe…

12. Nov 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Craig, I really did need this today.

You really helped me realize how I need to pray for help against the devil daily. He attacks me right when I’m on, or right when I’m coming down from a big wave…when I’m still excited…which is exactly what you are saying.

I’m gonna read this a couple more times today! It’s good!

God bless!

13. 14Kevin Lindsay
    Nov 10, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I agree Pastor,
    As a person who is being called into ministry and searching for the spot God would ask me fill, I know God has really been teaching me lessons in preparation.
    To be keenly aware of honoring God in every area of my life, because the enemy will use any opening even Christian relationships to sneak into your life.
    To truly search for Christian products and to not settle and end up setting an example for the believers that might lead them toward secular things. And most of all, when you feel lead to speak out, do not be afraid of your audience. I call this “the invisible violence” Meaning screams from the enemy could never do more damage than being silent when the Holy Spirit has told you to speak.
    Please pray that I would have God’s clarity to lead my family as we sell our home and makes adjustments to follow God into …

14. 15danny
    Nov 10, 2009 at 4:30 pm

so true….
    when you are in a mode of growth and blessing in an area of your life, or even if your whole life is doing great Satan can blindside you. Stay strong, and most of all stay prayed up. I am part of a church plant and we are experinceing blessings and fighting off battles like you are talking about. Sometimes i feel like I am playing dodgeball. God has given me a ball perfect fitting so i can be accurate and strike with a knock out blow. I see my goal and i am about to take it out….then wham I get hit from the otherside of the court…..We as pastors and leaders need to pray that our eyes will see the whole court and not just the blessings that are right in front of us. God will protect us. He will show us the warning signs if we ask. we need to just as Pastor Craig said “Decide you will do whatever it takes not to be another casualty”. God will show us the ball coming at us. Catch it! Make Satan the casualty…..This was my first blog ever so if it is not the way you are supposed to blog feel free to let me know..hahaha..thanks for your insight and time

15. 16Avery
    Nov 10, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Reminds me of this 1 Chronicles 21

1 Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel. 2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the troops, “Go and count the Israelites from Beersheba to Dan. Then report back to me so that I may know how many there are.”

Its worth reading the whole chapter …

Satan tempts us when things grow to pride ourselves in numbers, and in our own worth…(comparing ourselves to others)…

When we follow Satan’s kures, we lose a true sense of things, and forget to look at the condition of our hearts and how to hear from God… we start weighin things by our own thoughts, and it has drastic consequences when we fail…

Good reminder, good passage too… everyone should at least take a quick peek at the chapter…

16. 17rusty jarrett
    Nov 10, 2009 at 8:29 pm

one way I look at it is if your not doing anything for christ then satan and his demons wouldn’t even mess with you. because they would already have you.