categories: church, leadership, recommendations

November 9th, 2009

Riding the Wave

I pray God blesses your ministry at some point with what some call “The Wave.”

The wave is when God seems to do more than you can handle! During the wave, your buildings aren’t big enough, you can’t hire fast enough, you’re just hanging on for life.

This week we’ll talk about how to ride the wave.

Let’s start with some basics:

• You don’t create a spiritual wave, God does. The ride you’ll take isn’t a result of your creative ideas or masterful leadership. God will certainly use those things, but He is the One who causes and directs the spiritual progress.
  • You can work with the wave or fight against it. When God is doing something special, you’ll want to cooperate with what He is doing. I honestly believe when God starts to do something new, too many church leaders get afraid and work against what God is trying to do.
  • The wave probably won’t last forever. When God blesses you supernaturally, ride the wave. If it starts to die down, don’t try to recreate the wave. Pray for the next one and ride it when it comes.

Comments

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:21 am

RAD Dude! Now I want to go to the’ Beach… Hawaii and Don Ho are calling my name. LOL!!! Great Analogy Craig and very true! God loves creating waves. Also…Look out for Satan’s Rip Tides…they are sneaky!

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:25 am

I am getting my surf board ready and paddle out and waithing for the wave. I look forward to the day when I have such great problems as not having enough space and I am hanging on for life!

3. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:54 am

We were riding the wave from September of last year to January of this year when a shark got our surfboard and bit off some of the members of the body. Our failure was not to ride the wave (which we were) but to let our guard down and not prepare for the enemy’s attack. Hopefully, I will know better next time. Looking forward to the rest of this week Craig.

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:58 am

We would be considered a fairly successful church plant in our area, but I must say the standards are low. I so desire for God to bring that wave through our church. My heart yearns for that and expects God to do that. I know we are a place that people can find Jesus and grow in Him. My prayer is for God to send the people and to prepare us for the harvest.

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hey Craig,
    Thanks so much for this post and the topic for this week. There have been times when I have felt like our wave has been more like a Tsunami. Looking forward to your wisdom on the wave!
    Blessings,
    Dave

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:26 am

One thing that has helped me in this regard is understanding the size of the body of water you are in. When I was the pastor of a small church in a rural community, ripples were our waves. We grew from 35 to 80 while I was there and it felt like a wave- even though it was actually a ripple compared to where we are now. For me, I just really appreciate the waves because all of us, at some time, have sat in a dead calm pond with no waves in sight.

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm

For some reason I get really anxious (in a bad way) when I hear of huge blessings of God - waves. It’s like I’m disappointed because I feel like they’ll never happen to me…

I know this is of the Devil; I’m going to have to start praying against it.

Thanks for the great message! I love the picture! Really feel like taking a swim now!

8. 9rusty jarrett
    Nov 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I kind of see it as a battle, don’t really know how I come up with that. If anyone is looking for the best sermon series on the internet its the warrior by pastor Craig Groeschel. that had to be the best sermons I have ever herd.

9. 10Pastor Bob Moore
    Nov 9, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I was taught when I first started in ministry that we must always be making a bow wave or else you will be standing still. Blessings

10. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:09 pm

God sends us waves, but Satan sends us riptides, run-outs and undertows. If we are not careful we can get pulled under and overwhelmed. Be watchful and ready for the waves, but be sure you avoid the riptides so that when the waves come you won’t be distracted by the effort to avoid drowning.

11. Nov 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Craig!

12. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:00 am

One thing is obvious - we ride the wave. We flow where it goes. We ride in its energy not our own. And above all, we don’t sink in the wave.
    Flow with the Holy Spirit, churches, flow!

13. Feb 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm