categories: LifeChurch.tv, church, culture, development, hiring, leadership, vision, volunteers

October 28th, 2009

New Seasons Mean New People

When a ministry enters a new season, we must open the door for new leaders.

The “old guard” often resents new seasons. I’m a big believer in working hard to lead the tenured believers toward new life. Sometimes, though, they refuse to move forward.

In those times, we have to help people grow. If we can’t help people grow with the new direction, we need to be willing to allow some people to move on.

During these transitional seasons, I’m always looking for new leaders. Often they arise from right in front of you. There could be faithful people that were serving under others who seem to rise from nowhere when there is a new chance to lead.

When the current changes, keep your eyes open to new people God will raise up.

Comments

1. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:10 am

“Allow some people to move on.” What a tough thing to do when you have to watch people you thought were allies in the fight decide to take their sword and “play” somewhere else. I still find that hard to do though not as I once did. Being willing to let go is one of the hardest lessons I have had to learn. But like you have stated it is so essential the church is to move ahead. Sort of the old “lead, follow, or get out of the way” philosophy. Enjoying this week’s posts Craig.

2. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:18 am

“Allowing some people to move on.” This is a tougher thing the smaller the church - having been and served in a variety of church sizes. I am still working on this - I am getting better. What is also tough is when you are able to let others go but those around you do not undertstand and they are unable to do it. This to me is when the pressure gets tough. I too am enjoying these posts.

3. Oct 28, 2009 at 7:27 am

This has been one of the hardest areas of ministry for me. Not the letting go of people that need to move on but the emotional toll is takes on all involved. It’s hard to say goodbye to people that have given so much in the past, but we can’t hold onto “founders or old guard” just for the sake of it. It’s not prudent for anyone involved to operate this way. Kingdom work takes an all in commitment because the costs are too high to be unsure of who is on the team.

Let me say this, I have always been impressed with the “old guard” that are willing to change and/or are willing to step back when they know it’s the best for the Kingdom. We all need to be self-aware.

4. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:30 am

My experience:
    If we don’t “allow people to move on” they can become critical of the “new season”, thus hindering the momentum with the new leaders.
    I’m guilty too many times of hanging on to the “old guard” too long.
    Awesome post.

5. Oct 28, 2009 at 10:15 am

You can’t force people to stay. So you can either help them want to be a part of what God is doing in the new season or you can help them move on to where they can be used somewhere else.

More headaches come from people who stay that need to go than vacancies awaiting the right leader.

6. 6Sherrye
    Oct 28, 2009 at 11:02 am

This is very good.

7. Oct 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Wouldn’t this be so much easier if it didn’t require that we actually trust God to do his part?

8. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Good word, Craig .. wow, how true!

9. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:54 pm

This is great! I talked about some of these same thoughts at http://vincefarrell.blogspot.com/2009/10/blocks-scaffolding-and-rocks.html

10. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I know in my heart that this is true, but what do we do with the charge that we are to be ministers of reconciliation to all? Doesn’t this still include the old guard? I know we will take a lot of wounds and end up with many scars if we engage these persons, and I know that Jesus usually reserved his strongest words for the pious…

…but if we’re going to fight for those outside the church, shouldn’t we fight for our brothers and sisters too?

I know this is where discernment and the Spirit’s work take place… I guess I just like lines in the sand a little too much.

11. 11Gilles V.
    Oct 30, 2009 at 8:13 am

Reconciliation.
    Letting go.
    Forgivness.
    Hard but necessary in ALL situations.
    This is Christ’s basic message.
    Biggist proof of love is giving our life for a friend.
    My opinion is second biggest proof of love is forgiveness in all situation.

12. Jan 10, 2010 at 7:43 pm

[...] Link to original article in Uncategorized. Feed for this Entry Trackback Address [...]