categories: development, encouragement, leadership, mentoring, relationships

October 1st, 2009

The Good Ones That Don’t Think They Are Good

Many times some of the best (developing) leaders are strong leaders but don’t realize they are.

A lot of the great leaders have very high standards for themselves. Because they have such aggressive goals, they often don’t achieve all they’d like to achieve.

Because they didn’t meet their own expectations, they often don’t feel like they are doing a great job.

It is fun to invest in this type of growing leader. Since they don’t feel like they are great, they are often very teachable.

Those who think they are already good often aren’t as hungry to grow—ultimately limiting their potential.

Comments

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:31 am

This is a good post Craig. Hits me on the spot. Hindsight is always 20/20 so they say and in this I can agree. I play the “if only” game a lot and especially when it comes to learning how to be a leader. I was so convinced of my ability (arrogance even though I called it self-confidence) that I missed a good amount of teaching. I thought I could get by on my personality. I want to ask “where were you, say, 30 years ago?” :) Chances are good though I may have not listened then. I hope all the younger guys reading this are listening to you.

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:08 am

What is the best way to invest in those who are developing leaders? I have a few men in the church who need to be devolped but I want to do it the best possible way.

Thanks for the post.

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:29 am

I’ve spotted some incredible women who have no idea who incredible they are. Yet, they were always there, serving and loving on people. I’ve started meeting with them once a month to speak a word over them but more to empower them. After about 5 meetings our Life Groups have more than tripled for Women. Why? Because those women realized that someone believed in them and that they actually do have something to offer. The excitement amongst this team is amazing. It’s about 25 women and they in return will do the same thing.. find other women to mentor.

4. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:54 am

Craig, do u have high standards/ expectations of yourself?

I would assume so….so I have to ask this: if you make high expectations for yourself and don’t make them, how do you treat the low feeling you get from that? Because this has often pushed me into a works-based mindset which of course ends up in the toilet (after stressing/burning me out)…

Maybe it’s a difference between “high expectations of self” and “high expectations for self.” Hmm…idk

Any thoughts?

5. 5Jeff
    Oct 1, 2009 at 9:02 am

Loved this weeks string of posts Craig. Question, for you or whomever: I work with middle and high school students now (after working previously with college students)and I tend take things slowly with them when it comes putting students in positions of leadership (worship, childrens ministry, etc). I know I’m cautious (perhaps overly so at times) but a lot of it is because I’ve seen so many young people given a platform to lead when they probably weren’t ready. How do YOU out there determine the balance between giving young people opportunity to lead (and sometimes fail) versus putting someone in a position to lead when spiritually and maturity-wise they don’t seem quite ready.

I don’t feel like I’m wording this well, but do you understand what I’m saying? I want to give students opportunity to develop as leaders but I don’t want to put someone out there who shouldn’t be leading. But they are teenagers!! What’s a reasonable balance?

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:47 am

Strong leaders come to the table knowing they still have room to grow, even when success has painted their past. Strong leaders have grown mainly through their failures and how they learned from them. Through their failure and success realize the room for growth only gets bigger with each step forward. Thanks for the reminder this morning to continuously be teachable and dream big!

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 10:01 am

I guess I must just remember 2 things:

1) “And hallelujah grace like rain falls down on me…and hallelujah all my stains are washed away…they’re washed away.” - Song, Grace Like Rain - Todd Agnew

2)  ”I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it,[a] but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
     15 Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. 16 But we must hold on to the progress we have already made.” Philippians 3:12-16 NLT

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

I see myself in this post. I am a volunteer pastor still working a full time job outside the church. I have very high expectations of myself and struggle with getting it all done. I have people all around me telling me that I am doing a great job, but I have trouble convincing myself. I mean, let’s face it church people are nice, but they often will lie about such things rather then risk hurting your feelings. Maybe this is just remnants of my church upbringing. Anyways, this post is very encouraging maybe the folks that are encouraging me are not just trying to be nice. Maybe I am not like to tone deaf people that used to do specials in the churches I grew up in that kept coming back because people said they did such a great job even though their singing was more along lines with that of a cat in heat. Maybe I am actually doing better then I realize. Thanks, Craig for this post. It was very timely.

9. Oct 1, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Teachability -
    Along with humility -
    Go very long way -

10. Oct 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Great spin in the end. You got me until that potential hint. Good stuff!

11. Oct 3, 2009 at 10:12 am

[...] this video over and over. It’s a lot like being hit by a freight train. I make a lot of fun of LifeChurch and their style of dong things. Leadership this, Multi-Site that, Internet Church this, [...]

12. 12Joe
    Oct 5, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Craig. I really, really needed to hear this today. Not feeling really good about myself right now. Although I feel as if I am achieving many things, not being able to achieve everything gets me discouraged. I need to regain a proper perspective of myself and my ability to achieve. Deep down I know that God has so much in store. I just don’t want to miss all the great things God has. I am so hungry to go to the next level.

13. Oct 9, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Does this phenomenon vary with different personalities or temperaments? Some of us (and I’m really high on this scale) are hyper critical… of just about everything and everyone, especially ourselves (they call us perfectionists, of course).

I actually was surprised when I read this post, because I’ve heard that some of the most “dangerous” leaders are high caliber leaders who are underconfident. Have you run across this conviction, and if so, does this run counter to what you’re saying?