categories: church, hiring, leadership, team

July 31st, 2009

Final Thoughts on Hiring from Inside or Out

While some of our best staff members have come from other churches, I am still heavily biased to hire from within. Our rate of success in raising up leaders from our church outweighs bringing them in from other churches.

While many staff from other churches sell out to the vision, for some it is just another job. I don’t want to fill roles with people doing a job. I want people obsessed with a mission. Those from within are usually more prone to give their lives to the mission.

We’ll continue to look for the best everywhere. To me, it is always more fun when you recognize those God has put in your local body and equip them to do more than they ever thought possible.

Comments

1. Jul 31, 2009 at 8:33 am

Good series of posts Craig. I recently saw an interview with a Harvard professor who had conducted research on “hiring stars.” He noted that what made these leaders “stars” was not just their gifting, but also the environment they worked in. To pluck a leader from one organization and bring them to another did not necessarily mean they would be equally successful. In fact, their research indicated that their success typically dropped. He advocated hiring from within whenever possible. That seems to be some common advice I’ve heard and read lately. Good stuff!

2. 2jeremy
    Jul 31, 2009 at 8:49 am

Craig, have really appreciated your thoughts the past couple weeks on both hiring from within & outside and also what you learned from Hillsong - thanks for sharing.

3. Jul 31, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hey Craig, in you final thoughts you said,”Those from within are usually more prone to give their lives to the mission.” I believe for our church and for kingdom sake time is of the essence. Vision casting takes time and the personal involvement of each staff member. The team, paid or voulnteer, must see themselves as a vital part of the mission with the same level of passion. We recently had a guy come to the church with what “seemed like” the same passion we had for our childrens ministries. After a few weeks he was heavily involved yet it turned out he did not understand the words TEAM MEMBER. Did not play well with others in the sand box. He planed a huge kids summer event and when he felt like we did not promote it enough he booked. We had a very succesful event with lots of great connections without him. SO here it what I learned and whant to reiterate. Catching and living the vision takes time. Bringing in new staff from without I find is tough at best and time consuming to bring them up to speed. I believe God adds those to the body and brings them when there is the need. Has worked so far!

4. 4andy wilson
    Aug 1, 2009 at 9:25 am

Great series, I was responsible for HR at Wal-Mart for 7 years when Sam Walton was active in the company. We always hired within, we invested in the associate life and their spouses to build the culture based on the three core beliefs that the company . Over 60% of store managers started out as hourly associates at that time. It was a great time of personal growth and opportunity for our people.. Thanks again for the series

5. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:46 pm

All great posts, comments. I was an attendee who started volunteering, who became a staff member and was deeply passionate and influential about our churches vision and leadership. Now Im no longer there, needing to find a place where I can continue my call and passion for reaching the lost hoping I find a place that WILL hire the right person…. From the outside :-)

6. 6Aussie Kylie
    Aug 2, 2009 at 7:35 am

I love these thoughts! I can relate to when you said “Those from within are usually more prone to give their lives to the mission.” I’ve grown up most of my life in my church and have served in a number of different areas. I’m now fortunate to be heading up our Children’s ministry (voluntarily) & I definitely think that it’s so true-I would give anything to see it grow & become all that God wants for it because I’ve lived & breathed the culture of our church for so long. There’s a greater opportunity for your heart to be in it because the people are like family! And who wouldn’t want to give whatever than can to help out their family & see them fulfill their potential!

Thanks for your inspiring & sometimes challenging thoughts!

7. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:10 am

Great Topic and Debate, as a University of Michigan fan, Coach Bo in his last book Bo’s Life Lesson has much to say that talks about promoting from within and building the leader to take his spot.

8. 8Tiffany
    Aug 4, 2009 at 4:21 pm

As someone who came on staff at LC from a LC volunteer position, I can see the large benefit to hiring from within…it would have taken a lot longer to learn what to do if I had not already had the culture and some knowledge under my belt. I also may not have been as ready to move states to do so if I was not so familiar with the organization.
    However, I’m thankful for the people that have been brought in from outside LC to bring new perspectives and ideas.
    In my mind, it’s all about the balance of hiring from both areas.