categories: leadership, staff, team

June 10th, 2009

On Leading Up: Do Well With What You Have

The easiest way to lead up is to do a great job with what you’ve been entrusted with.  I’ve known several people who are confused about why their great idea or new project/plan is seemingly being ignored by their leaders. Regardless of how insightful the idea might be, it’s hard to give more influence or receive significant input from those who are not being responsible with what they have been given. I know my ability to lead up or have influence can be significantly reduced if I’m not leading well in my areas of responsibility.

Have you faced seasons where it’s been difficult to do well with what you’ve been given? How did you work through that time? What was the outcome?

Comments

1. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:50 am

Thanks for this. I needed to hear this today. I need to step up my game.

2. 2ChuckD
    Jun 10, 2009 at 9:44 am

There were many times a few years ago where I began to see this pattern evolving. Out of a passion for the church, I would have so many ideas and ways to “help” the church expand or improve in certain areas. What I didn’t realize is that while being excited about those things is not bad in and of itself, it was taking my time away from my main responsibility. I began serving and leading with excellence in my area that was entrusted to me and over time I noticed that my opinion was being asked for in meetings rather than my earlier attempts to inject them every moment I could. What you said here Bobby is important for us all to learn, and something I need to keep before me at all times. I want to serve God with all I have, and it starts with the job He has entrusted me with. Then leading up is inevitable rather than forced, and serving others, not a selfish
    ambition.

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:47 am

:: blinders ::
    wow… just got excited for a moment while i was thinking about how Jesus handled responsibility…

He didnt look at how bad he had it, how much it sucked to starve for 40 days or have your own neighborhood UN welcome you… his campaign marched… slowly…but surely… He didnt get salty when his disciples walked out on him…

on and on and on….. thank you for reminding us bro of how WE need to do OUR job.

4. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:31 am

I was always taught, if you eat what’s on your plate… we can then talk about dessert. I always try to devour what’s on my plate in fron of me first; however I have to guard against not eating what’s on my plate and several desserts simultaneously. Clear as mud?

5. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:54 am

I agree, when I lead well that which has been entrusted to me, I am given more opportunity to lead new initiatives and ministry endeavors. Also, I’ve learned that when I simply take initiative to help further develop church initiatives, my added service is appreciated.

My final thought on this is that I, as the executive pastor, must own the vision of my lead pastor and church. Really, his agenda is my agenda. When I focus my service and work on serving our collective mission instead of creating my own “mission” (which would be actually my own agenda), I am given MUCH trust and lattitude to lead. Plus my lead pastor and I are best friends. I think that cannot be overstated.

6. Jun 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Bobby, I agree with your thoughts. For me, being responsible with what I’ve been given extends beyond tasks alone but relationships,as well.

7. Jun 13, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Good post. I think this is what I am learning at this point in my life more than anything else. Learning to stop thinking about what is not there and learning to use what is in my hands now!

8. Jun 16, 2009 at 9:41 am

[...] I’m talking about with what, as a leader, you’ve been entrusted with. Over at Swerve Bobby talks about Leading Up. However, you can’t lead up if the person above you can’t [...]

9. Jun 16, 2009 at 9:42 am

Wow! I am so behind right now on what I am entrusted with. I needed to hear this because my head has so many ideas.