categories: communication, creativity, innovation, leadership, social networking

May 5th, 2009

The Second “D”

To pursue your dream, at some point, you’ll likely have to take an aggressive step. Phase two is to make the decision to pursue your dream.

This sounds easier than it is.

A friend of mine who occasionally flies a small plane recreationally once described to me the point of no return on takeoffs. He explained that on the runway, there comes a point that the pilot must be absolutely committed to takeoff. If the pilot isn’t committed at full throttle, he’ll run out of runway and won’t get the plane off the ground.

The same is true of the dream. At some point, you’ll have to make a faith decision.

Your faith decision could be as bold as leaving a job or moving your family to another country. Or it could be as simple as going public with your dream, starting to raise money, or forming a 501c-3.

No matter what the decision, to step toward your destiny will often require a daring step away from your security. In other words, if you want to walk on water, you’re going to have to get out of the boat.

Remember, it is impossible to please God without faith.

When did you make a big faith decision toward your dream? Or… Do you have a decision to make?

Comments

1. May 5, 2009 at 7:03 am

Whenever I make a big decision or make serious change in my life…I commit to make a step forward or “out of the boat” on purpose or I’ll will never get out. It is NEVER Easy or full of confidence…NEVER… but I decide to keep stepping even afraid. Anything great starts with a first step engrossed by “what if” but greatness is only accomplished by walking forward not looking back or at the cold water. Great Post!

2. May 5, 2009 at 7:44 am

About 8 years ago, sitting in a National Youth Workers Convention and dreaming of what a church that reached unchurched people could be like in our community, Andy Stanley said “What God originates, God will orchestrate”. That was a defining moment for me. Trusting God, stepping forward in the face of uncertainty, but with faith. And over the last 8 years we’ve seen God orchestrate God-sized things.

3. May 5, 2009 at 8:50 am

Tomorrow my senior pastor is announcing at our staff meeting that I will no longer be on staff serving as his and his wife’s PA.

We’ve been talking for a few months about it - they could see I needed to leave to pursue my dream - in fact possibly better than I could see it. He told me - If you stay, something in you will die.

So I’m done working at the church I love, adore and have poured EVERYTHING into. Big faith step. And I am starting to dare to be explicit about what it might actually look like if I really, really seriously pursue the god dream in my heart.

I have a part time job lined up to pay the rent, and a heart that feels both completely overwhelmed and incredibly hopeful.

I keep thinking about that scene at the end of castaway, where tom hanks is standing in the middle of that wide open 4 way crossroads. That’s how I feel. But how often in life do we get that moment - maybe never again! I’m 27 and have no husband, kids, or mortgage, and now no major work responsibilities. I think that’s called having no excuses;)

My ‘keep coming back to’ verse - with men, this is impossible. But with god, all things are possible!!

Thanks for your great and always encouraging blog, and for a great topic!

4. May 5, 2009 at 9:20 am

I prefer to reminisce about the big jump almost 6 years ago to leave a career I loved and come work at LifeKIDS. But really, that wasn’t that hard because it was so exciting. The cliff I’m at the edge of now is the one that will be harder. For me, there’s no parachute this time.

Last week I heard Francis Chan remind us that the role of the church isn’t to help fanatics calm down and cool off. It’s to stoke their fire. To gather around and pray for more boldness. So thanks for pushing me closer to the edge.

5. May 5, 2009 at 9:52 am

Sarah, thanks for recalling that great final scene in Castaway. As I recall, its a little ambiguous as to where he winds up going. Which in my mind makes it all the better.

My ‘point of no return’ is actually upon me today: we’ve listed our house for sale and are preparing to move to the Philly area to plant a church.

We’ve been “in this transition” for over a year. But yesterday, we had an offer on our house. I have till 5pm to accept, or counter, the offer. Once we do, things are going to get very interesting. I think we may be about to move from “simmer” to “boil.”

Thanks, Craig.

6. May 5, 2009 at 10:16 am

Two years ago, in my office, overwhelmed with the lack of clear purpose, giving my life to keep programs alive, doing all the right things to get a good yearly review, sacrificing family, God spoke…. and it was much louder than a whisper. I thought someone was in the room shouting “you where made for less than this”. Less did not mean easier, it meant preparing my family to move and give up deep friendships. It meant the hardest conversation with my 11 year old daughter who told me, with tears running down her face, “she was 100% positive that I was wrong”. It meant walking away from brand new facility that I had spent two years pouring my life into help build. It meant giving up a comfortable salary and a nice budget for ministry. That was the day I took the first step toward a dream. That was the day I positioned the plane on the runway, pushed the throttle to full and held on to the wheel. I have a good friend I call every week to get advice from about doing Church with less money, less staff, less stress, less consumption and every week he laughs and tells me “your living the dream baby, living the dream!”.

7. 7Carrie
    May 5, 2009 at 11:48 am

I made the huge leap of faith when I came to work at Lifechurch.tv. I was offered another position with another ministry. But for some reason, God told me to take a small part time administrative (not my strength) job at a church that I had been attending for less than a year. Now, I work for LifeKIDS.tv (full time) writing curriculum for children and I LOVE it. And get this…my college degree was in English Education. I thought when I went into ministry that my degree wouldn’t help me out much (since I’d planned to go into education). Little did I know that every class on studying how children learn, every writing class, every grammar class was leading me to what I’m doing now. And you know the crazy thing is, I feel like I’m just getting started. That there is even more out there God wants to do through me…very cool.

8. 8Neal
    May 5, 2009 at 1:09 pm

The decision is the easy part… doing and steppoing off into the unknown is the hard part.

Take my case… I have three incredible options, each with their own chasm that must be avoided (if possible).

1) Move to a large city for a tremendous professional opportunity but give up a lifestyle that is slower and more peaceful and be financially strapped.
    2) Move abroad but take my family away from family and friends.
    3) Stay put with uncertainity about future work, needing a new home, and just going by faith.

I always here God will close one door, but in my case the shut doors still leave three open and no discernable signs on how to proceed.

9. May 5, 2009 at 1:36 pm

About 5 years ago I sat down to write down my “dream” goals for my life…

After resigning from a Church in 2007 I stepped out to plant a church…that dream crashed…but I was not to be deterred…I partnered with Bay Area Fellowship here in Corpus to launch a campus and currently we have had over 125 people who have prayed to begin a relationship with Christ….

I say step out and go for the dream God has for you…you won’t be disappointed.

10. May 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

As exhilarating as it is to “go for it”…the hardest decision about “the dream” is to consistently keep it on the alter. That’s where i learn how to submit and respect the dream and see it come full circle…that’s how God keeps me “caved in” if you will…that’s the best place for me to get closer to the dream…I just want to take over and reach out and touch it…but must learn to unquestionably trust God and His ways to bring it about…He is faithful!

11. 11cj
    May 5, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This is great discussion, but what happens when your ‘dream’ is snatched away, suddenly, by outside forces beyond your control? How do you begin to dream again - what do you do to get past the disappointment and the fear that begins to creep in - that makes you think it will just happen again? I just want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head. Have you ever come back from this kind of defeat? And how do you direct your thoughts in the meantime?

12. May 5, 2009 at 4:37 pm

My faith dream came about 4 1/2 years ago. I had begun dreaming of being in a church that was “out of the box” and wanted to do things differently and weren’t tied to the traditions of the past. I had almost given up that dream due to my age (53 at the time). Little did I know that God would place me at a church where that dream could be realized and I am having the time of my life! God never has a limit on dreams-age, time, boundaries, or anything else. Thanks for the post Craig.

13. May 5, 2009 at 6:08 pm

For me, the decision not only involved me but my wife and children moving nearly 2000 miles to plant a church with no guarantee from anyone of finances, core group, etc. That is the tough part of the decision: how will this affect my family? A word that came to my heart during that most difficult time of decision finally helped me to say yes. It was simple: “if you jump, I will catch you”. After that, there was a peace in my heart to cross the line from decision to action. There is a lot of fear when you are in the middle of the jump, but when He does catch you (and He has)it feels GREAT! Thanks again, Craig!

14. May 6, 2009 at 1:14 am

[...] Shared a link on Google Reader. The Second “D” [...]

15. May 6, 2009 at 8:49 am

Like many of the stories here, I too stepped out to plant a church, working full time in a good paying job and finishing my education for ministry. God grew the church slowly but to a point where 2 years ago we were faced with the decision to go full time. That was a tough decision as I had a great job with a good career track. But one verse spoke to my wife and gave her the freedom to say, “let’s go for it”. I think it fits perfectly with this “D”. Jesus said, “he who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for service in my Kingdom”. I remember that verse all the time when life gets rough. But since that move we have seen God do some incredible things and people keep giving their lives to Christ nearly every weekend!

16. May 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Absolutely fantastic point.
    Easy to forget that passage about faith and pleasing God.
    Always hard to make that tough decision…walk out of the boat.

17. May 7, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Excellent post!

Ahh, “the point of no return…” I’ve encountered quite a few of those in recent years, as God’s Spirit has led me to pursue the dreams He has given me. They’ve all resulted in major life changes: leaving a job, moving back home with mom, becoming a landlady, joining a new church, starting a business, etc. Each change came with a period of transition that stretched me well beyond my comfort zone, too. I hate the growing pains, but praise God for the growth!

God bless you!