categories: LifeChurch.tv, NETWORK, OPEN, church, global church

January 5th, 2009

It Takes All Kinds of Churches

When I was a kid, my church friends were critical of other churches. The “other” churches were too weird, too charismatic, too legalistic, too boring, or too stuffy.

Sadly today, many Christians are convinced their style of church is the only and best way.

It takes all kinds of Christian churches to reach all kinds of people.

Surely God can work through Bible Churches, Charismatic Churches, Traditional Churches, and Seeker Churches. He can use Baptist Christians, Methodist Christians, Episcopal Christians, and Spirit-filled tongue talking Holy Ghost rollin’ Christians.

No matter how much you enjoy your expression of worship, your church won’t reach the world alone.

It is exciting that instead of criticizing the differences, many are embracing the similarities and truly making a difference for Christ.

Comments

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:10 am

I am guilty!

2. 2Tony H
    Jan 5, 2009 at 7:37 am

Not only was i guilty, so was everyone I knew for decades! Working with folks from all over on the internet bares this out even more. They are absoluetly shocked and amazed, yet almost speechless to learn, we are deliberately expressing our desire to partner, not remove them from their church, or speak negatively about their church. In fact when they complain about their church, we actually speak well of them and encourage them to use us to help them where they are and get involved where they are. I feel liberated to say it and they can’t believe i just said it. We have an opportunity at LifeChurch.TV bigger than we can put it in words, if we will keep the vision Craig put forth in this little note. To actually bring believers together instead of doing what most churches have been doing for centuries. It may take tolerance, and patience, and allot of understanding, even biting our tongues to keep from winning that big debate, so we can walk side by side, but it surely is a big vision. Glad to be a part LifeChurch.TV.

3. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:48 am

Amen,Amen,Amen!

Many people think that http://www.yourchurch.tv is the only way… not so fast my friends!

Simply put and well said Craig!

4. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:49 am

Sorry I didn’t realize that yourchurch.tv was a real website! LOL :-)

5. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:55 am

I so agree with this post! Reminds me of Augustine who said, “In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, and in all things love.” Unity, liberty, love. Not a bad formula!

6. Jan 5, 2009 at 8:14 am

Guilty as charged!

I actually blogged about the same thing for my New Years resolution.

7. Jan 5, 2009 at 8:37 am

You lead the way in this, Craig! Thanks for letting us follow you and learn from you.

8. Jan 5, 2009 at 8:43 am

Preach it Craig. We as the body of Christ should focus on the one thing that ties us all together and that is Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, the light and we need all kinds of churches to reach all kinds of people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

9. 9SAW
    Jan 5, 2009 at 8:44 am

As we “embrace” the differences, may we do so not only on the surface or in the public eye, but truly in our heart, comparing ourselves and our ministries first and only to Christ. “but God looks upon the heart.”

10. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

Working together is so much better than fighting. Romans 12:18 “Do your best to live in peace with everyone.”

11. 11Judy
    Jan 5, 2009 at 9:33 am

I do see the embrace beginning…Ed Young’s Creative Conference is a great example…I love it…in “My Story” I am Baptist, Methodist, Assembly of God, and now Christ Follower…Allllll of which made me who I am today…Good Blog Craig

12. 12Janne E (Finland)
    Jan 5, 2009 at 9:59 am

Good point.

Then again, can you cross a line where you have to forsake being biblical for the sake of unity?

13. Jan 5, 2009 at 10:16 am

Amen! Yes, and it’s always easy to see the downside of any given church too. What would happen if we were to be hugely intentional about ‘talking up’ the other churches in town?

14. Jan 5, 2009 at 10:31 am

I look forward to the day when we think with Kingdom mindedness and allow us to view the differing styles and approaches as tools that God uses to reach the masses. One size fits all doesn’t work and God knows that hence the differing approaches. Perhaps we should encourage more diversification with an eye towards being the Body of Christ as God intended to reach the lost. Just a thought. Great post, Craig!

15. Jan 5, 2009 at 11:29 am

Agreed! I love that I see this modeled in my church. One Prayer, what a great picture of the ‘C’hurch working together! Just read of Herbert Cooper visiting 3 other churches yesterday to see what God is doing in OKC! Cool! Love seeing great people working together with kingdom mindedness!

16. Jan 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

[...] how much you enjoy your expression of worship, your church won’t reach the world alone.” Check out the rest of his article here. « Myanmar [...]

17. 17Steve Kirkeby
    Jan 5, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Craig

So, how do you see us combating this issue?

18. 18Dennis Peay
    Jan 5, 2009 at 12:59 pm

When we look at each other we see our uniquely created differences. When God looks at us, his creation, He sees a reflection.

19. 19Jared B
    Jan 5, 2009 at 1:16 pm

It is great!

Quick question: In Mark 16:17-18 Jesus says, “And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Do you see people speaking in tongues often? If not, why? This puzzles me…because Christ doesn’t narrow it down to a certain group of believers, but says plainly, “believers”. I know I haven’t spoken in tongues before…and I have never seen it in person.

20. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Great post. I think if someone doesn’t like our church, I will give them a list of other great churches in our area and encourage them to go. WOW! This really got me thinking.

21. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I’m a Spirit-filled tongue talking Holy Ghost rollin’ Christian that believes in the vision of pastor craig! Let’s come together. I’m excited!

I Send Smiles,
    Heady

22. Jan 5, 2009 at 3:03 pm

It is so easy to talk trash about another church. I guess maybe we figure that by pulling down another we some how lift our church up???? The old saying, “if you have nothing good to say don’t say it at all”, is a great place to start. Let’s work at working together to reach the people of our cities, countries and the world.

23. 23Jared B
    Jan 5, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Amen brotha’ Duff!

24. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Praise the Lord Craig, You just hit the nail on the head….
    I want to see Jesus coming, not just for me, but everybody that lives not as “lukewarm” but as “hot” for the Lord.
    By the way I drove all the way from Houston on my way to salt Lake City to the Edmond Campus last sunday just to praise the Lord with you guys, what a blessing!!!!!

25. 25Jared B
    Jan 5, 2009 at 9:39 pm

That’s awesome Sergio!

26. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:01 am

[...] Shared a link on Google Reader. It Takes All Kinds of Churches [...]

27. 27Shogun of the South
    Jan 6, 2009 at 9:13 am

I was raised non-denominational, we came to Church..sang some songs, the pastor opened the Bible and taught…thats it no pretense just the Word….it pains me that we as the small “c” church have clung to our titles and allow the enemy to divide and concur us as opposed to us being united under on BIG “C” CHURCH……imagine how we could impact the world if we eliminated denominations and became THE CHURCH>>>>>>

Shogun of the South
    civilque@hotmail.com

28. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:08 am

[...] read a good post from Craig Groeschel yesterday about different types of churches.  I could not have said it better. God is leading us to a better fit for us right now, [...]

29. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:14 am

[...] LifeChurch1 [...]

30. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:52 am

[...] It Takes All Kinds of Churches January 7, 2009 By Craig Groeschel [...]

31. Jan 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm

AMEN!

32. Jan 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm

YES! I’ve said that exact thing many times, for many years: It takes all kinds of Christian churches to reach all kinds of people. I couldn’t agree more. Great seeing you the other day, Craig. I was the guy meeting with Bobby G.

33. Jan 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Great reminder for all of us! I know that I have my own “church struggles” that I am trying to work out. May God truly come and heal The Body of Christ, and open our spiritual eyes to all His purposes for our lvies to bring Him Glory Alone!! Bless You!

34. 34Brad Bandy
    Feb 6, 2009 at 1:00 am

Spot on Craig. This has not always been the consensus at Life. I can remember a time when there were many conversations about “Life Church culture”, branding and how to produce a superior experience than other “traditional” churches that occurred during some of the early years. While some of those business principles have been productive, I’m glad that the idea that were are in competition with other churches has faded. We must be relevant, not merely reactionary. The lost are not a market, The Church is not primarily a business and Jesus is not a product. “One Body, One Spirit, One hope of our call” is how Paul put it. Life Church Open and One Prayer sealed the deal for me. We are leveraging everything for the Glory and Fame of Jesus name and the satisfaction therein, and I’m glad to be a part of it! Thank you for leading me all these years.

35. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm

[...] LifeChurch1 [...]

36. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

So true! I plan to link to this from my blog. What would our communities (both secular and christian) look like if we were open-minded and open-hearted enough to be genuinely supportive of all Christ followers, churches and denominations who support and spread faith in Christ?

37. Feb 9, 2010 at 7:15 pm