categories: YouVersion

December 10th, 2008

NLT and God’s Word on YouVersion.com

I know that MANY of you have been asking when we would have the NLT (New Living Translation) on YouVersion.com Well, the day has come.

You can now access the NLT on YouVersion.com, the Bible App for the iPhone/iPod, Mobile YouVersion, and the Bible App for the BlackBerry.  All are free.

For nearly 1 1/2 years, we’ve been working through the licensing and technical details to make this possible.  Thanks to Tyndale for their support.

Also, we are simultaneously releasing another modern English translation called “God’s Word.”  The team at Baker Publishing have also allowed us to also make this translation available for offline use on the iPhone App.  You will definitely want to check it out.

How many of you regularly use the NLT?

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

My Church uses NLT almost exclusively(chruch bibles are NLT). Although our teachers use message, niv, and nasb for study and reference during the teaching time.

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Amazing - thanks for the hard work of your team!

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:14 pm

I really like the Psalms in the NLT.

4. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Bobby - so great to hear finally! The NLT is an awesome addition! Woohoo!!

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Wayhey! I love NLT been my preferred reading it for years. Thanks for the early Christmas present!

6. 6Dianna
    Dec 10, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I use the NLT as a new way to look at what I have been reading in KJV, NIV, etc. for many years. It helps me reword things for my grnaddaughter when we do Bible reading together every Sunday.

Thanks for all you do to make the Word of God easier for people to have at hand wherever they are.

7. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:29 pm

absolutely, NLT hands down. sometimes stories or Psalms from MSG, or the Bible Experience in NIV…but any other time it’s NLT

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm

NLT is great- I was brought up on NIV so NLT reads a little strange from time to time, but it is a good modern translation. I think the only other potential knock is that it is gender neutral. But I love that version. This is a huge win for youversion.com

9. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Use it all the time. Our church uses it exclusively.

10. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I like the NLT but I also like God’s Word too. Read through the NT in that version a couple of years back. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

11. 11DC
    Dec 10, 2008 at 12:37 pm

To me, the NLT is the easiest and clearest reading translation, and it eliminates “Biblespeak”. Even with the NIV I sometimes read things and go “huh”? Then I grab the NLT and find out what it really says. I rarely open anything else now.

12. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I also like the NLT. I bought the NLT for my Kindle. I won’t use any translation that doesn’t correctly translate John 21:15-17 (if you don’t know what I mean compare NIV with NLT).

13. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:45 pm

[...] LifeChurch.tv just announced that they have added the NLT (New Living Translation) to their YouVersion.com online Bible. The list they’ve compiled in a relatively short period of time is pretty astounding. I remember when the list was only a few versions long. I strongly recommend checking this site out. This entry was posted in asides and tagged bible. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Backblaze [...]

14. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Thank you guys so much for putting the NLT translation on YouVersion. I read the NLT a lot, and to be able to access it my phone it VERY cool.

15. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I use the NLT exclusively for working with students I think that it really allows them to grasp the word. And as a young man I thought I might go to hell if I did not use the NIV so this is way awesome.

16. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I use the NLT and have been waiting for it to come to YouVersion. Thank you for working hard to get it!

17. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:30 pm

I do.

18. Dec 10, 2008 at 2:09 pm

FINALLY!!!! Yahooooooooo!

19. Dec 10, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Scott,
    I was raised on the KJV and there are people today who still believe it is the only inspired Bible.

20. Dec 10, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I really enjoy reading the NLT version. The concepts are communicated in language that really makes sense to my Gen Y, right brain, non-linear kind of thinking… which is a tough thing to do! Thank you for working so hard to get NLT on my iPod Touch!

21. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Awesome! Some, this phenomenal app is getting even better…

22. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:52 am

I love the NLT for readability, but for preaching/teaching I use the NIV simply because it’s what most of our people use, have memorized, etc.

I also like the ESV, but it just isn’t as prevalent.

This will great to have the NLT on my iPod now!

23. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:13 am

great addition. honestly, this is the reason that i was using another site, but now that this version is offered, I can use youversion for all my online bible reading and work.

thanks!

24. 24Jerry McQuay
    Dec 11, 2008 at 8:15 am

We regularly use the NLT as the ’standard’ for all our Sunday teachings. Thanks for your perseverance to offer it to us on YouVersion.

25. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:16 am

I use the NLT for daily devotions and for working with new believers. I use it and NASB for study. We us NLT for most of what we do publicly as a church. It is so easy for people to understand.

26. 26Mr. Smith
    Dec 11, 2008 at 9:40 am

I love NLT its the closet version to KJV to me! THanks YouVersion!!

27. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:50 am

I’ve been using the NLT for my devotional time for years. This is GREAT!!

28. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:21 am

Very cool you guys rock

29. Dec 11, 2008 at 11:17 am

Love the NLT. Was waiting on this one.

30. Dec 11, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Tried this several times today for the first time without any success. It turns out that in my part of the world, “First Corinthians” is indicated by the appellation “I Cor” using the capital letter I. In this system, it appears as “1 Cor” using the number 1, which is why we have people walking around saying that verses are in “one Corinthians,” which not only sounds ridiculous, but doesn’t appear in any Bible I’ve ever owned. Other than that…

31. 31Magdiel
    Dec 11, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Thanks i love what your team do. and i thanks god 4 every thing u are doing 4 the kingdom

32. 32nick waters
    Dec 11, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I’ve seriously been awaiting this announcement since the day you all launched YouVersion.

The New Living Translation is currently the script of choice for me, and has been the past five years.

Kudos for the digital availability!