categories: LifeChurch.tv, YouVersion

October 7th, 2008

Bible App for the Blackberry

As a dedicated BlackBerry user (that’s right no iPhone), I’m particularly excited to share our Digerati team’s latest release with you. Bible App for the BlackBerry takes you directly to YouVersion Mobile, where you can:

• Use the reader to study any part of Scripture—the entire Bible is at your fingertips.
  • Take your pick from 35 different translations available in 19 different languages.
  • Search the entire Bible for a word, phrase, or verse, and you’ll get your results in seconds.
  • The One-Year Reading Plan provides daily selections to keep you on track when you’re on the go.
  • Learn from others by checking out recent contribs.

We released YouVersion Mobile in April and the iPhone Bible App in July. Since then, more than 400,000 unique iPhone users have downloaded the Bible App and have spent more than 67 million minutes reading the Bible. Thanks for your encouragement and feedback along the way. We’re thrilled to see more people each day engage with Bible, whatever the medium.

You can download the Bible App for the Blackberry for free.  This version of the application is a humble beginning, but it should provide a quick and easy way for all of you BlackBerry users to access the Bible.

Are you a BlackBerry user? If so, I’d love to hear from you and also get your feedback on the Bible App.

Tags: ,

Comments

1. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Good work Kevin. I know a lot of people are thrilled this is finally out!

2. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:51 pm

I love what you guys are doing with YouVersion. I use the iPhone app on a regular basis. Stuff like this make me proud to be a Lifechurch.tv partner (even if you don’t rock the iPhone).

3. 3josh
    Oct 7, 2008 at 4:57 pm

you guys rock I am amazed at the ability your team has but what would be even better is an app for the moto q. but really you guys rock if there already is a way to have you version on the moto q disregaurd this comment and consider me an idiot. Whale Done team

4. Oct 7, 2008 at 5:05 pm

So glad you guys got this out! I was bummed when all of the attention seemed to go to the iPhone users. I’ve been wondering when the BlackBerry users would get an app. Thanks!

5. Oct 7, 2008 at 5:08 pm

If anyone gets a 404 error when typing in the URL on their BlackBerry, make sure to lowercase the address. It is case-sensitive. My Pearl wanted to uppercase the letters BB when I typed them in.

I wrote this comment once already but I think it was caught by a psam filter because I had put sample URLs in the post.

peace|dewde

6. Oct 7, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Just downloaded it and it is attempting to connect now. Thank you all so much for doing this. You all are the bomb and are such an inspiration to me!

Take care,

Shaun & Crew

7. Oct 7, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I’ve downloaded and installed it, but it is still trying to connect…

8. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Bobby,

Are you going to make one for Treo’s?

9. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Hey guys…
    First off, this is awesome!!! Thanks for the hard work…

Second… I also have the “trying to connect” issue. It seems to not get past that point.

Anywho… Thanks again.

10. Oct 7, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Are there any plans for an app for the Samsung Instinct? That would be super…

11. 11Anna
    Oct 7, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Yes, I’ve been waiting for this since July!

My only complaint is purely cosmetic–that the icon looks lame. A little brown square with Holy Bible in gold was a bit disappointing after the slick look of the YouVersion site.

That aside, I’m excited to incorporate what I’ve been doing with YouVersion online on the go, which is most of the time. Big thank yous to your digerati team!

12. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. We are very excited about this tool, and if you noticed, the version number on this is 0.1. Hopefully that tells you we are at the very beginning, and are so fired up about where this could go!

Angela, and anyone else who might have issues. We have a dedicated help area for you guys. You can visit http://help.youversion.com

Angelia, there is a post directed to your exact question here: http://getsatisfaction.com/youversion/topics/blackberry_app_installs_but_wont_connect

Thank you all!

13. 13JWIMP
    Oct 7, 2008 at 11:19 pm

My initial issue: It would make it more user friendly if you could just push the ball on your BB to open a verse or link. Now when you click on the ball it is like a right mouse click and it pulls up all menu options: Home, Search, Daily Reading, Recent Contributions, Select Mode, Deskto View, Find, Copy, Get Link, Full Menu. This just adds an extra step. You have to click on “Get link” to open the link.

Is there a way to change the font sizes on the text? It could be a little smaller?

Thanks for all your hard work on this! This is going to be great for mobile use.

14. Oct 8, 2008 at 7:18 am

You guys rock! Thanks for the Blackberry app- I will put a link on my blog on friday. You guys are very generous!

15. Oct 8, 2008 at 8:01 am

this is great! I’ve been waiting for this for my poor ol Blackberry.
    Thanks!

16. Oct 8, 2008 at 9:01 am

[...] version, m.youversion.com. So I’m very excited to see that lifechurch.tv has released their YouVersion Bible App for the Blackberry. While in it’s infancy at version .1, you just know more and great things will come down the [...]

17. 17Chris Howes
    Oct 8, 2008 at 10:57 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you… Y’all are my heros.. :-)

I’ve been using the YouVersion app on my iPod Touch and love it.. I just was chained to WiFi.. No longer..

18. Oct 8, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Yes,make a version for Treo!!! Thanks for all you do!

19. Oct 9, 2008 at 1:14 am

Hello Bobby, I am a BB user. I love it! My friends are trying to get me to switch but the bb gives me everything I need. The Curve rocks like no other. I like it because it is simple and I’m a big emailer. Of course, the keyboard is a plus as well. I can’t wait to download this new app. You all ROCK at Life Church. Thanks for all you do in the Body of Christ. YOU ALL GIVE AND KEEP GIVING.

20. Oct 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm

[...] October 9, 2008 in Technology I am a Blackberry guy and am stoked that  YouVersion and the LifeChurch.tv Digerati Team has just launched a Bible App. [...]

21. 21Michael
    Oct 10, 2008 at 9:14 am

I tried to download the Bible app, but received a 404 Not Found message. What am I not doing. I simply clicked on the download link, (no caps were involved).

Thanks for what you are offering and providing.

Michael

22. 22Randy
    Nov 12, 2008 at 11:40 am

Is there any plan to develop a true app for the Blackberry that offers an offline mode like the iPhone app?

23. Nov 18, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Great software the only things missing are bookmark,copy and paste and notes capabilities but I am assuming you folks are more then likly working on that.

24. 25Patrick
    Nov 20, 2008 at 4:06 am

I use the chinese union version. However, I found that each verse follow the tail and not start a new line which makes it not easy to read.

25. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:52 am

Blackberry Curve user here. Great version one! I look forward to seeing the improvements and appreciate the price. Can’t beat that even with a few bugs to work out. Thanks!

26. 27Cisco
    Dec 1, 2008 at 9:56 pm

I’m unable to download from youversion.com/bb. I get download failed. I’m trying on a Blackberry Curve on T-Mobile. Any ideas? Thanks!

27. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Very nice. Will there be a version for the Blackberry Storm (9530) anytime soon?

28. Jan 7, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Hey, I dont get internet on my bb so it would be great to have a dld version to load from my desktop to the blackberry. I hope you guys can create one soon, I would love to be able to access the bible on my bb!
    lynn

29. 30cubby
    Jan 15, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I am searching for a bible for my blackberry storm. Do you have any idea when you might be coming out with a version for the storm. Or maybe where I might be able to find one?

30. 31jim
    Jan 19, 2009 at 4:18 pm

hello. great job on the blackberry app. when will there be a version available for the bb storm? i just purchased one and if there isn’t going to be an app available soon i may get rid of my storm in leiu of a different phone.

31. 32Jordan Ray
    Jan 27, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Will their be an application made for the blackberry storm?
    I’d like to be able to share Gods word by using my phone.
    Theirs another bible app for the storm but its like $25
    And I don’t think it should cost me money to use the bible on my phone.
    So, could you email me when you create one for the storm?

32. 33Gods Souljah
    Feb 2, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I am using a Blackberry 9530 Storm and the App doesn’t look to good and its difficult to use due to only being able to see half of the screen…

33. 34ira
    Feb 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Do u have an app for the storm?

34. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Do you have plans for a Bible App for the Storm? I sure would appreciate it. I know a lot of people are asking. I would love to have the Bible on my phone.

35. 36Donna K
    Feb 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Not able to download to my blackberry curve it keeps asking me if I have 83xx just want to be able to study my word and keep up thanks

36. 37K. E.
    Feb 23, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I was wondering if i use this app will it be considered as accessing the net, and will this appear on my bill
    cause if so i have to ask my parents

37. 38Rod Oden
    Mar 5, 2009 at 8:49 am

This is the very best of the bible readers/search that I have found on the internet…AND IT IS FREE! ROCK ON! I really appreciate this app, as I am also addicted to my “Crack”berry. It has allowed me to be in the word, daily, sometimes multiple times.

What a Blessing!

38. Mar 11, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for being faithful! All of you @ LifeChurch.tv your actions are eternal. “I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.”(1 Corinthians 9:22) I wil continue not only to direct people to your ministry but share the tools that you provide with them as well. Thank you for going above and beyond, having a standard of excellence in all that you do!

One Love, One God, One Way!
    GodConx & The ReConnection Ministry

39. 40Nicole Marie
    Mar 29, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but in future versions what might be nice is a way to highlight or bookmark verses we’d like to come back to. It would keep my real bibles less colorful.

40. 41Nanette
    Apr 2, 2009 at 3:05 pm

This is awesome! I just downloaded the software to my bb and am so excited about using it. Thanks so much for having a free Bible resource that is humble but not limited. God’s blessings. Also, I’ve been checking out the lifechurch.tv website and plan on visiting often.

41. Apr 3, 2009 at 2:27 pm

What a blessing guys - superb mobile app at the best price. Do hope you get one for the Instinct soon. My wife would be ecstatic!

42. Apr 15, 2009 at 12:24 am

I just downloaded the bible. I’ll let you know what - think of it as soon as I get to use it.

43. 44Chris
    Apr 25, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Hi Bro

The URL http://www.youversion.com/bb does not seem to exist. Appreciate if you could take a look at it.

44. Apr 30, 2009 at 1:02 am

Hi. My name is Daniel. I’m in Jakarta, Indonesia. I’m using BB Storm 9500. Is the program compatible with 9500? I tried to download the Bold 9000 version but it seems it’s not working. Please advice. Thanks. Gbu!

45. 46kc cheah
    May 4, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Wonderful to have the Bible on my Curve!

46. 47mwills
    May 5, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I have a blackberry, but I don’t have the data plan. Can you make the bible download so that I can just download it manually off my computer?

47. 48Steve Anderson
    May 13, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Is there a way to download and install this without a blackberry data plan, or on texting? I have wifi, but after downloading and installing, the program will not run. Ideally, I would also like to download a version for use offline.

Please email be back if there is a way to accomplish this.

48. May 14, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Is your application reliant on an active network connection? I live in an area of spotty coverage and don’t want to restrict my reading to times when signal is strong. I was a longtime fan of MyBible on the Palm back in the day. I often told people that was the best application I ever saw for Palm. The navigation was optimized for the graffiti interface and was lightning fast. Their search function also worked great allowing for granular searches (ie. this book, old testament, new testament, etc). My Laridian bible file was loaded directly on the Palm and searching & lookup was local. I miss that version.
    My preliminary look at your software reveals a lot to like but i’m concerned with the latency in area’s of poor/no cell coverage. Is there an option to download and locally cache the text?

49. 50saly
    May 27, 2009 at 11:29 am

this is an amazing bible!!! i am very thankful to whomever put it together. i have tried many before this one but finally i’ve found the one i’ve been looking for. I CAN READ IT IN ARABIC AND ENGLISH.

LOVE.
    and
    PEACE.

Saly.

50. 51jeanwill
    May 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I will be glad when they get a version out for the BBStorm. I tried to download the BB9000 Bold and had some issues with my BBStorm afterwards. Someone mentioned ‘compatibility’ mode but I can’t find where you turn that off … can you assist? ty
    From what I did see, I just love it. I like the various access to the versions and just having a bible avail without having to carry everything with you … Amazing and God Bless You

51. 52Richard
    Jun 8, 2009 at 8:52 pm

maybe its me, but the blackberry link for the app is not working….can anyone help or address this issue????

52. 54Richard
    Jun 9, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Thank Bobby!!! I was attempting to access the site on my laptop, was able to get to the site with no problem on my blackberry. Sorry for the confusion all. Be Blessed and Highly Favored!!!

53. 55Sarah
    Jun 16, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I’m extremely grateful for this. I searched online, found you guys, and downloaded this feature in seconds. Now I can travel without my heavy bible and access everything so quickly. It’s so encouraging to know that people are interested in having God’s word everywhere they go. I’m so happy and this has made my day. Thank you :)

54. 56AnGie
    Jun 17, 2009 at 10:36 am

Awesome!
    Really usefull app for our spiritual needs.
    Now , there is no barrier to read God’s words.

55. 57Daniel and Laura Jolly
    Jun 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

The app for our blackberry was great, and it worked perfectly!! Thank you so much! I don’t have any recommendations to make it better! God bless!

56. 58obetens ude
    Jul 8, 2009 at 10:27 am

Thanks for the good work

57. 59obeten Sunday
    Jul 8, 2009 at 10:33 am

I thank for the Bible it will to in the Lord
    Thanks and God bless

Sunday

58. 60Missi
    Jul 25, 2009 at 10:31 am

Love this! Who would’ve ever thought we’d be able to say, “I downloaded the Bible to my phone!!!?!” Using the curve app for my storm - doing alright - better than when I didn’t have it! :)
    Thanks!!!

59. 61Bren
    Jul 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm

OK WILL THIS WORK FOR MY BLACKBERRYSTORM!!???? CUZ ITS NOT WORKIN SOME1 HELP!LOL

60. 62Donald T
    Jul 30, 2009 at 9:27 am

I have quietly waited and madly searched for a version that works with the BlackBerry Storm. I installed both the 8900 and the 9000 version and well, so far a no go. Any help?

61. Aug 13, 2009 at 3:33 pm

when can we expect the storm version to come out. I love the app it just doesnt work with my storm

62. 64Flip
    Aug 15, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Thanks. I have been searching for the bible for my blackberry for a while now. I love it. The daily read and the contribs. Love it.

63. 65petrush
    Aug 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Syalom,
    Thank you for this great bible app. Is there an indonesian translation bible version? By the way, thank you so much.

64. 66petrush
    Aug 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Woow, I’m just find how can I get an indonesian bible version. Thank you

65. 67wishingthiswouldworkonmystorm
    Aug 19, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I REALLY want this to work on my STORM, but it doesn’t. Please, Please, Please come out with a version that does soon!

66. 68jcpere
    Aug 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Hi How do i down load this bible to my phone. i went to the page it links to but i could not find a download.

67. 69Quinn
    Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 am

It’s not working with my Storm. I wish there something that will soon. Thanks

68. 70ramon valentin
    Sep 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm

thank you this is awsome for my blackberry curve i love it thank you so much godblessyou.

69. 71dave
    Sep 25, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Haii … I’m impressive w/ this app. But I’m living @ indonesian country … So is there possible if it’s make translation w/ indonesian language or w/ ‘bahasa’ commonly people know. Many regards. JBU .

70. 72brianne
    Sep 26, 2009 at 10:54 am

When will there be an app for blackberry storm?

71. 73Rosita
    Oct 4, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for giving us cell phone users the ability of reading the Bible on our Blackberrys! I have a Blackberry Tour. However, is it possible for you to add an option where those of us who are “visually” challenged can have an “Audio” option? I am visually challenged and there’s times when I cannot read because I suffer serious bouts of pain in my eyes and at that time I cannot use my eyes at all! I will pray that you will come out with an “Audio” option soon. If you’ve already thought of having this option and perhaps even have it in the pipeline, please disregard this comment!

72. 74Brad
    Oct 7, 2009 at 7:59 am

The 2.0 version does NOT work on my Blackberry Tour. The 1.0.3 version was excellent. Why can’t I get the 2.0 version to work?

73. 75Russell
    Oct 7, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Loved this app when I had the Bold, but it doesn’t not work on the Storm. Will there be an update for the Storm?

74. 76Ajith
    Oct 27, 2009 at 2:36 am

I am not able to install the bible software by going through the link provided. can someone help me ??

75. 77Michael
    Nov 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm

First i would like to thank everyone that has made this possible, this is so cool. Second i can’t believe it’s free. I praise God for your company, may you have great success.

76. 78Dee Garrett
    Dec 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I love this application. It’s easy to read, understand and share. The “daily reads” I enjoy the most.

77. 79Mike
    Dec 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Does anyone know how to fix the bible app. for blackberry storm? The keypad doesnt go away.

78. 80Brian
    Jan 12, 2010 at 8:52 am

Great app! Just wish I could download NIV and KJV directly onto my Storm. Would be great to be able to use this app without a ‘connection’.

79. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:58 am

Does this work off line on blackberry storm. I would love th have the offline bible

80. Jan 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Regi - It does not work “offline” on the blackberry. We hope to have that feature in the future!

81. 83Doug
    May 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

5/27/10

I am having a problem running the YouVersion Bible reader on my new Blackberry Curve 8530. I get a message that says “! Uncaught exception: jav.lang.Error”. Anything I can do to fix this problem on my end?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

82. 84Paula
    Jun 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

LOVE IT!! Just wish I could bookmark…

83. 85Michael
    Oct 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Wish I could use it. When I try to access reading plans, error says user name or password invalid. Can’t find workaround or solution.

84. 86Judith
    Nov 14, 2010 at 12:47 am

Can’t access reading plans on my blackberry, gets error message: user name or password invalid. please can you help out as this is tearing me apart. Thanks.

85. 87Judith
    Nov 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Hello Bobby,
    Thanks very much for getting back to me. I used the link you sent to remind me of my password but when I entered my email address, the computer says that ‘This account has not been verified’ Entered my emai address to get the verification email.
    I went back into my email and found i got a new email link to follow and verify my email.
    Did this but the computer says ‘ Invalid Verification Token’
    Please kindly tell me what next to do.
    Regards,
    Judith.

86. 88Judith
    Nov 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sorry Bobby, the above is talking about problems accessing Bible reading plan on my Blackberry bold.Thanks.Judith

87. 89Greg
    Nov 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Judith,
    Just a youversion user here, but I found your post because I was having the same problem you’re experiencing. I just realized why… I signed up for my account a long time ago using my junk mail email address, and I never clicked on the original verification email to verify my account. I went back and found that email just now, clicked on the verification link, and voila! …Everything works!

88. 90JK
    Dec 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I LOVE this app, but could anyone help me…I am not a techie…and when I click on this app (I’ve had it installed and uninstalled and installed the latest version and it is still giving me an error)…it says ‘uncaught exception:java.lang.Error’

89. 91javier
    Mar 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

i dont know what happenned whit the last actualization 3.1.1 in blackberry. i love this bible. there is no other option to us
    blessings and blessings

90. 92atobrah binkley
    Apr 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

l can’t download bible to my blackberry syorm 9530 l need help.

91. 93kathryn
    Apr 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I love the Youversion Bible for my Blackberry, however,when I tried to download the update, the entire version was wiped off my phone and now I cannot get it to download again. Please advise.

92. 94mike
    Jul 16, 2011 at 3:35 am

This is great. God bless.

93. 95maris victor
    Sep 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Please, I really do need the free bible application on my blackberry 8300, help me please.

94. 96Benson
    Nov 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

This is a great appilcation. I love it. May God
    bless you as you fine tune it for better performance.

How can I get a version I can use offline?

95. 97Ivan.
    Jun 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi. I have ver. 3.9.2. I just cannot seem to find an option for showing each verse on a new line on the NASB version. I used to be able to do this in the past. Can anyone help?