categories: Uncategorized

September 19th, 2008

Announcing ChurchMetrics.com

ChurchMetrics.comOur Digerati team has been working on something new and we’re excited to give you a sneak peek at our latest free tool: ChurchMetrics.com. It’s a web app that we built to help churches track attendance, giving, salvations, and baptisms. I’ll have much more to share in the coming weeks, but for now go check out the video and sign up to be in the loop!

Comments

1. 1Brian (Portland, OR)
    Sep 19, 2008 at 11:53 am

Wow, what an amazing resource! You guys continue to unselfishly deliver time after time. Thanks!

2. Sep 19, 2008 at 11:53 am

This is JUST what our church has been praying for! We are in desperate need of something that will do JUST THIS VERY THING! THANK YOU!

any idea when it goes active?

3. Sep 19, 2008 at 12:01 pm

While I agree that a church has organizational parallels with a corporation (or business), and that running *some* churches closer to a corporate model has paid out huge dividends for the message and impact of Jesus… this is edging towards creepy.

Just my opinion.

peace|dewde

4. Sep 19, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Sweet.
    I’m anxious.
    Hopefully will be some sort of an import engine?

5. Sep 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Ok, all creepiness comments aside, evaluating the web app on the merits of its apparent goal I gotta say this. It looks phenomenal. Clean, simple, attractive.

Kudos there. Hands down.

peace|dewde

6. Sep 19, 2008 at 12:36 pm

You guys are nuts… in a good way. Sometimes, this is one of those times, I am stunned at the heart of LifeChurch.tv to GIVE AWAY so much. Thanks for modeling such amazing generosity. Thanks for putting The KINGDOM first. Very cool.

7. Sep 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Bobby, I am so pumped about what the Digerati team built! I have loved studying the data each week. This tool is going to help a ton of churches. Please express my gratitude to your whole team.

8. Sep 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Thanks Brian. Josh, so glad this is going to be a blessing to you guys. Dewde, not sure I understand creepy, but I am open to critique. (thanks for the design kudos :) Johnny, you bet…we feel honored to be able to do what we do! Thanks Craig…the team is amazing and we all appreciate your gratitude.

We are very excited about this tool, and the opportunity to continue resourcing the local church. Thanks for the encouragement, and we look forward to continual feedback as the tool launches.

9. Sep 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Wow. How can you guys give stuff like this away? What kind of support is available once a church begins to use this? This is too cool.

10. Sep 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the tools!

11. 11Susan Hoak
    Sep 19, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Amazing!!! Continually humbled by the awesome Kingdom heart and the openness and willingness to truly be the body serving the body!!! How pleased the Father’s heart must be!!! May His favor rest on each of you and may your blessings be multiplied in fruit for the Kingdom!

12. Sep 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Jeremiah,

We’ve tried to make it easy to use and hopefully it won’t require a lot of support, but we’ll help anyone who need it.
    Everyone…thanks so much for the kind words. We are looking forward to the launch of the tool publicly. It should be soon.

13. Sep 19, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Very cool tool. I appreciate as well the heart and spirit of you guys in making such things available to others.

One comment re: the “creepiness” that dewde referenced earlier: I’m wondering if that has to do with the sensitivity so many folks have in trying to “quantify” spiritual growth and effectiveness?

While I’m certainly a fan of “Clarifying the Win” and missional measures, I understand the heartburn some folks have when things like Attendance and Giving are held out as evidence of growth or effectiveness (wrote a post on that earlier today: http://blog.visionnavigator.com/2008/09/how-do-you-measure-churchs-success.html).

That’s why I appreciate your inclusion of Salvations and Baptisms as well, since these are certainly important measures of success for any church that takes the Great Commission seriously.

A couple of questions: Do you guys have plans to include other categories? Are there other ways you measure your success or missional effectiveness as a church in making disciples?

Thanks again for all you guys do, and for your openness to share what you’re learning on your journey…

Blessings

14. Sep 19, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Another homerun! Thanks LifeChurch.

15. Sep 20, 2008 at 7:09 am

Terri and the team…another great product for the Body! You guys rock. Thanks for all you are doing.

16. Sep 20, 2008 at 1:16 pm

ChurchMetrics looks awesome! I can’t wait to get in and start using it. We use FellowshipOne and believe you guys do as well, will ChurchMetrics integrate with F1? Possibly using there new (RESTful) API? Great job Digerati!

17. Sep 21, 2008 at 1:20 pm

So good…!!! I’ve looked at other apps such as “Arena” and so on… But the price always made them out of reach. Thanks Ps Craig for building a church with such a heart to equip the Church.

Bobby and team - great job…our church looks forward to using it. (btw…need anyone to translate it into spanish?)

18. Sep 21, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Taylor,

Thanks. I’m sure we’ll be looking for help with Spanish and the rest, but need to get the app launched in English first.

Just to clarify though…this is not a church management system like arena, fellowship one, etc…churchmetrics is designed to track basic church stats and provide reporting. It doesn’t keep track of individual member data.

19. Sep 22, 2008 at 2:07 am

[...] they’re also building their own apps, for example the recently announced ChurchMetrics.com, which is a web app that helps churches "track attendance, giving, [...]

20. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:19 am

Once again lifechurch.tv has set the standard for Kingdom-mindedness… May God bless you for all the seeds that you have sown into churches like mine.

21. Sep 22, 2008 at 2:27 pm

@Terry:

Yeah @SteveBradley nailed my concern. Bobby and I corresponded about the “creepiness” I felt and I said…

“Specifically it was counting salvations. I know the heart of LifeChurch.tv and I know that you guys see people and not numbers, but the concept feels very old school. Focusing on numbers, not people. I think your app is a fantastic idea and it will help Ministry leaders make better decisions. But it could also help bring back the competitive ‘my numbers are bigger than yours’ mentality that churches are just now starting to see past.

I write web apps also and I can say that business requirements aside… yours looks excellent. Good job there. I’ll certainly take it for a spin when it hits beta.”

A less creepy application would be one that facilitates an organization to better evaluate the efficiency of serving people in need. A free app that helps non-profit organizations (churches and non-churches) measure similar metrics. Such as number of volunteers, donations, number of people impacted per event, etc.

This would be the sort of app that could impact cultures perceptions regarding our motives. It would say to the world, “I want to make the world a better place, oh and by the way I’m a Christian.” Instead of the message, “I’m a Christian and I want to help make more Christians.”

These are subtle and very subjective thoughts I have. I’m honestly not trying to dump on you or your project. I was an atheist for 10 years and consequently it is very easy for me to be hypersensitive to a non-Christian’s perception.

peace|dewde

22. Sep 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I’ve very excited about this!

23. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:58 am

I appeciate your heart to give to the Body of Christ! I am looking for to the lauch! Thanks lifechurch!!

24. Sep 26, 2008 at 2:54 pm

The video doesn’t seem to be loading…

25. Sep 26, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Adam, it may have been a problem with Vimeo. It appears to be working now. In fact, it looks like it has over 22,000 views.

26. 27Joel
    Oct 8, 2008 at 8:50 am

I am a church planter in Japan and I read everything you guys write. LOVE IT ALL. Really looking forward to churchmetrics. Is there any reason why it wouldn’t work for us in Japan? sure hope not!!!

27. Oct 13, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Is this going to be a free “hosted by lifechurch.tv” webapp or will it be open source, and allow for anyone to host on their own server?

28. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Joel- I don’t see any reason why the app would not work in Japan. Connectivity is much better than ever before to Japan so you should be fine. I look forward to testing that theory in the near future when it launches.

Justin- this will be a free hosted webapp. No plans as of right now to move it to a self-hosted model.

29. Oct 20, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Hey guys, not to push…it’s been a month since you broke the news. Any beta launch date on the horizon?

30. Oct 28, 2008 at 10:26 am

[...] we announced the development of ChurchMetrics.com, many of you have expressed an interest in trying out the tool for your church.  The wait is [...]