categories: LifeChurch.tv, YouVersion

September 17th, 2008

Quick Update on YouVersion and the iPhone/Touch App

I’m at Innovate right now with Kevin, Jerry and Sam…looking forward to learning a bunch in the next couple of days.

I wanted to let you know that our team released a new update for the YouVersion Bible App for the iPod Touch and the iPhone.  There are many new features in this update, but the most significant is the ability to download several translations to your phone/ipod and use them while offline.  This is a big deal for iPod Touch users who no longer have to be connected to wifi to read the Bible.  You can read more on the YV blog.  Also check out this review on AppCraver.

I want to personally thank the folks at Thomas Nelson for being the very first Bible publisher to allow us to make their translations (NKJV, NCV) available for download in the Bible App.

Though the new features are great…I’m even more excited about the increase we are seeing in scripture engagement.  Now almost 340k people have installed it and have been engaged with the Bible for over 43 million minutes…and that makes every minute of development time worth it.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

1. Sep 17, 2008 at 11:31 pm

I want to say a big and amazing thank you, guys, for working hard on all of this. I know that all the licensing agreements involved in getting these translations for the web are hard enough, but to get them available for free download must be a lot harder. You are truly innovators, and moving Internet Ministry to the next step. May God bless you greatly!

2. Sep 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

You know what could be really helpful for me? Having the ability to highlight verses (and a page to look up highlights?) and the ability to bookmark pages. Like, I am giving a presentation to my class tomorrow on Web 2.0 and the effect on Internet Ministry, and I wish I could highlight or bookmark verses to easily bring up. Just some thoughts.

3. Sep 18, 2008 at 5:46 am

Thanks James.

I know that the team is working on addressing the need you are talking about.

4. Sep 18, 2008 at 6:06 am

I’ve tried to download the ASV and the NCV 5 times each and the downloads won’t work. I’m hoping that it will work better today.

5. Sep 18, 2008 at 6:57 am

Update: just downloded the NCV with no prob today.

6. Sep 18, 2008 at 9:28 am

Appreciate the mention of our review - nice work with the app!

7. Sep 18, 2008 at 10:36 am

To everyone having issues with downloading:

We pushed out some major updates to our download server on Wednesday night. It should be much better now. Just try it again today. You should have better luck now.

Sam Soffes
    LifeChurch.tv

8. Sep 18, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I love YouVersion and am SO

9. Sep 18, 2008 at 12:58 pm

…very thankful for iPhone Bible. What a blessing it is to have that many translations on a phone for FREEE! You guys make the cost of iPhone worth it.

10. Sep 21, 2008 at 3:49 am

[...] Bible App for the iPhone (graciously free from LifeChurch.tv), and now there are improvements. Start here to learn more and/or get the application - this could be a cool app for you to tell students about, and to use yourself if you’ve got [...]