categories: YouVersion, working together

September 3rd, 2008

This post is shorter than The Bible, but only a little

There have been so many updates to YouVersion.com in the past week that I will barely be able to contain them in this one post.  Since you all have been a big part of the community that made YouVersion.com possible, I wanted to be sure to bring you up to speed on the development.  It’s an unusually long post, so hang with me.

We are thrilled that The Bible is becoming more accessible, engaging more people, and creating more conversation about God’s Word than ever before.

As many of you know, we recently launched the Bible App for the iPhone/iPod Touch.  Since the launch in July, we have seen 287,000 people download and install the app on their iPhone/iPod.  More importantly, these users have spent more than 30 million minutes reading the Bible!  For the record, that completely blows away any of my initial expectations.  Yesterday, a significant new update (v1.2) was released for the Bible App that adds the following features and enhancements:

+ Localization: the application now is localized to English (en), Spanish (es), French (fr), German (de).
+ New translations: mentioned in detail below.
+ Book divisions: the books area is separated into key sections.
+ Share:
you can now simply share a verse with a friend via email, and also notify a friend about the application.
+ Settings:
within the settings area, you can change your font size in the Bible reader, and adjust to a low light version for simple reading in a dark place.
+ Improved speed and performance and a new user interface.
+ We also made an OOPS and accidentally released a little code that doesn’t work yet, but reveals what is coming in the next release - the ability to access several of the translations when your iPhone or iPod touch is offline (the number one most requested feature).

Remember, even if you do not have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can still easily access http://m.youversion.com from any web enabled phone (that includes the Blackberry).

Additionally, in the last week we have added many new translations in multiple languages to YouVersion.com.  You can now choose from one of 31 different Bible translations available in 16 different languages.  All of those translations can be accessed via your computer, mobile phone and via the Bible App.  Below is a comprehensive list of the translations that are currently available.

English:

Portuguese:
- Almeida Atualizada

Romanian:
- Romanian Cornilescu 1928

Russian:
- Бытие 1

I know that some of you have been patiently waiting on the NLT.  The good news is that we have worked out an agreement with Tyndale, but we have had some technical challenges on the implementation that we hope will be worked out very very soon.  Stay tuned.

NEED YOU: We could really use your help to continue to extend this Bible tool to more parts of the world.  We need people to help us localize (translate) the website, mobile site, and Bible App in to other languages.  The Bible App is currently localized in English, Spanish, French, and German and we hope to soon extend those languages to the YouVersion.com website too.  If you are fluent in multiple languages or know someone who is and would like to volunteer to help us translate several English words/phrases into Korean, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Japanese, Russian, Romanian, Dutch, Polish or Italian, please email me or leave a comment below.  Others of you can help us spread the word by contributing content, sharing it with your friends and social networks, linking to it from your blog/website, or using it as a tool to engage your church with Scripture.

Sorry about the long post…we are obviously excited about getting tons of people more engaged in The Bible.  For everyone from the cautious explorer to the passionate follower, the Bible is life changing.

If you have any questions about YouVersion, future features, additional translations, languages, suggestions, even complaints (not really)….we’d love to hear them.  Feel free to comment below.

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Sep 3, 2008 at 10:57 am

for those of us old school crackberry users, is the application RIM/BLackberry friendly? I’d love to have a well-formatted, functional Bible application on my blackberry if YouVersion is the way to go…

2. Sep 3, 2008 at 11:14 am

Bobby,
    I can’t tell you how grateful I am for YouVersion (especially the iPhone application). I read the Bible more than ever… waiting in line at the bank, fast food, or yesterday at the DMV - I just open my iPhone and read the Word - it’s so cool. And it creates great opportunity for conversation. Just another way that lifechurch.tv is impacting the Kingdom and beyond! Thanks so much!

3. 3Charles Wick
    Sep 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I love it, but I would like to know if there were any plans to have a feature that allows you to view different translations at the same time, like a comparison view. I think that it would be a neat feature. besides that, it’s wonderful.

4. Sep 3, 2008 at 5:28 pm

The YouVersion iPhone app is awesome! I use it all the time…church, bible studies, you name it. Only thing that could make it better would be to feature a personal chapter-based notepad that could do online sync, but hey, I’ll take what I can get!

5. 6Steve Rumsby
    Sep 4, 2008 at 7:05 am

One thing that would be useful in Bible studies is a bookmark list, by verse not just by chapter, to make it easy to flick between multiple passages.

Also, personal notes, linked to a youversion.com account so you can get to then through the web also, would be really, really useful.

6. Sep 4, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yay! for new versions!

7. Sep 4, 2008 at 10:07 am

Wow, what an awesome tool! I use it on the iPod Touch when I’m at home or the office. I’m eagerly awaiting the ability to read it offline!

Also, as a missionary in Japan, I can say that once you guys are able to complete Japanese/Korean versions they will have a huge impact! These guys LIVE on their phones and it would be a great tool for young Christians as well as evangelistic for those who are not.

Keep up the good work!

8. Sep 4, 2008 at 10:33 am

any plans for NLT?

9. Sep 4, 2008 at 10:35 am

my bad, just re-read post….

guilty of skimming..

forgive me?

10. Sep 4, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I was reading your post about YouVersion and your need for translation to Japanese. I currently work at a Christian School in Japan and we would like to help with the translation. Can you send me some info about how much the work load will be.

11. Sep 5, 2008 at 9:10 am

I’ve been meaning to tell someone about this, check the verse 1 Timothy 4:12. Everytime I click the verse number on that verse it closes the whole app on me. It has been that way through every update as well. I’ve been hoping to see it get fixed…that happens to be one of my favorite verses. And, no other verse does that, by the way (closes the app)…at least none that I’ve found yet. Thanks.

12. 14AaronS
    Sep 5, 2008 at 4:22 pm

@michael What version of the App and version of the Bible are you using?

13. Sep 8, 2008 at 10:04 am

@michael
    That happens to me, too. Version 1.,2 of the App and with both KJV and NIV. I’ve not tried other translations but I suspect the problem is with the contribs rather than the bible text. I click on the verse number and gete the email/view contribs pop-up. I click “view contribs” and the pages starts loading, but then the app disappears.

14. Sep 8, 2008 at 10:23 am

Michael Demastus, AaronS, Steve Rumsby,

The issue has been fixed. Enjoy contribs on one of your favorite verses now :)

15. Sep 14, 2008 at 9:17 am

I really am glad you guys made this app!

16. 18Robert A
    Sep 30, 2008 at 9:23 pm

The offline is SO useful thank you so much. This is actually so convenient, I use it on the subway and whenever I’m just sitting around waiting. This is the perfect app as you can just pull your phone out of your pocket and use the time effectively to get closer to God rather than to let temptations even have the chance to linger in one’s mind. Thanks again.

17. Dec 30, 2008 at 4:59 am

Is it possible for some of us 3rd-party people to actually write modules for this app? I have the new translation of the Turkish Bible available for Bible+ on my site and would love to be able to make it available for iPod Touch users, too.

18. Feb 7, 2009 at 2:10 am

A new App that is a parallel bible (comparative) reader has been published for the iPhone in January of 2009. It is titled the “Even Word”. It has scores of translations including the King James, Amplified, NIV, NLT (all together 20 English translations) and many more, including from over 40 languages and 70 translations. You can even send the developer suggestions for the future. The Chinese Bible (both Simplified and Traditional) are included.

Plus at the moment its only $1.99 USD on iTunes.

Built by Kammyland Software, it can be purchased on iTunes at this link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297647948&mt=8

Or you can view the product’s webpage at :

Cheers.
    Kammyland Software

19. Aug 2, 2009 at 11:00 am

thanks a lot for your help!!!
    i am a ghanaian studying in morocco but to get a credit card account is not easy.i have tried several means to getting one but it’s not kicking.
    i don’t know if you could do anything in getting me one on itunes.God bless you all!!!!!

20. 23Julyan
    Aug 6, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Are you doing any work on Turkish or Farsi? I have friends who could help. Julyan Lidstone

21. 24Josh W
    Oct 11, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I am getting ready to contact my friend who is involved with the new Turkish translation to recommend adding it to your app. Before I do, I need to get two questions answered:

1. Can this version handle verses that are joined? I.e. Two or more verses are displayed in a block without any split (Turkish grammar sometimes demands verses be joined for clearer understanding)

2. What format would the text needed to be submitted in?

Blessings.