categories: time management

August 26th, 2008

Unusual Time Saving Tips (2 of 5)

Let’s Have Lunch in My Office

Eating out can be a huge time waster. (I’m not saying that having a nice, long lunch isn’t occasionally important, necessary, or enjoyable.) Travel time to many restaurants takes 15 to 30 minutes (or more). Many restaurant meals can take 45 minutes to an hour. A simple lunch can easily eat an hour and a half of your day.

I suggest some other options:

• If you don’t have a lunch appointment, consider bringing lunch from home. Not only can you save money but also time. You can eat in a few minutes in your office and continue working.
  • If you don’t have a lunch appointment and didn’t bring your lunch, you might ask another team member to bring you a sandwich if he or she is going out.
  • If someone invites you to lunch, you might suggest they join you in your office. If you have an assistant, he or she can grab lunch for you; or you can order-in for delivery. You can spend 45 minutes or an hour of quality time with someone without leaving your office. (If you invite someone to lunch, you’ll probably prefer to honor them and travel to a place that is convenient for them.)

Comments

1. Aug 26, 2008 at 6:03 am

Great suggestions… There is a Senior Level Executive Officer of a major corporation that I have lunch with periodically and he always schedules it at his office and his Assistant has food for us. It does simplify things and cuts travel time down for him.

I agree in regards to honoring people that you are taking to lunch by meeting them somewhere close to them. I have a list of restaurants in different parts of the metro, and my Campus Administrator schedules those lunches based on where the person I am meeting for lunch will be coming from.

2. Aug 26, 2008 at 6:52 am

Great reminder and suggestons. I’m going to make this part of my MO.

3. Aug 26, 2008 at 7:12 am

Plus, lunch from home and lunch in the office saves $$$.

4. Aug 26, 2008 at 7:43 am

Packing a lunch is a great way to save money and eat healthier!

5. Aug 26, 2008 at 8:13 am

Good idea… lunch out does eat up lots of time, especially with staff members you like hanging out with. I’ve got two staff, and I love ‘em both.

6. Aug 26, 2008 at 8:40 am

Oh man Craig! You take all the fun out of life! Eating out and getting out of a small town is what we most often do! :) Most of “my” people work out of town so I find it better to meet them. I do use the time in my vehicle to listen to music and catch some relaxing time. The staff will go out of town because we know so many people in the small town that we find ourselves getting interrupted too much. But I definitely see your point.

7. 7Nyxll
    Aug 26, 2008 at 9:22 am

Craig, I agree that eating out can be a time waster, but all too often we need that extra time to reset. We are in a society that is so busy that we are always spinning in circles.

Taking extra time to get to a place to eat often gives us some extra time to reset, collect our thoughts, mentally prepare or debrief. This usually helps us to focus our mental acumen and be more efficient.

So if you have to go somewhere for lunch … take some time to reach that inner peace and rest.

8. Aug 26, 2008 at 10:00 am

Can someone grab me a burger today when you go to lunch? HA HA Just kidding.
    Good thoughts.

9. Aug 26, 2008 at 11:07 am

I do agree that on a busy day eating in your office can save time, and for a long time that’s what I did every day. However, I’m not sure if that’s the best idea in general. Now I try to make it a point to take a lunch, not everyday, but probably every other day on average. I realized that taking a lunch does wonders for the soul. Working through lunch took away an opportunity for me to de-stress, collect my thoughts, spend some time with God, etc. I still bring my lunch to save money, but I try to get out of the office. I think a good lunch can be a very healthy thing. I suppose if you can take an actually break in your office, then it doesn’t matter, but I think that’s a pretty hard thing for a lot of people.

10. Aug 26, 2008 at 1:25 pm

These past two posts have helped me greatly. I look forward to the next few.

Intentional time saving can be a stress reliever.

11. Aug 26, 2008 at 3:22 pm

For short travels, you can also keep a bike at the office. For distances less than a mile, bikes are often faster, and plus you get a little exercise with it.

12. Aug 26, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Hey Craig,
    This is totally off subject, but I just saw an ad for your new book over on Relevant’s website. I thought that was cool.

13. Aug 27, 2008 at 5:55 am

Great Idea Ps Craig unless you work in a shoe box without windows - you know your office is too small when the Holy Spirit won’t even visit because it cramps His style. If anyone has a spare office they could send my way I would be grateful!

Gold Coast- Australia

14. Aug 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm

[...] current topic is called “unusual time saving tips.“  in setting forth his premise he writes, “Most pastors could easily fill dozens of [...]

15. 15DBN
    Sep 3, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I rarely meet people for lunch. It does take too long. If they want to meet they can come to my office or I will meet them for coffee at a coffee shop that is 5 minutes from my office. I only meet either mid-morning or mid afternoon.