categories: communication

July 30th, 2008

Think Fast

In today’s world, by the time you are 100% sure an idea is good, you are often too late.

Many people over-process decisions. The more they analyze it, the more the options bog them down.

Some studies show that people make better decisions when they are fast decisions.

By fast, I don’t mean sloppy or irrational. A great “decision maker” often takes in the facts and can intuitively (or supernaturally) sense what the right decision is.

I’ll often force a decision with a staff member. When she is stalling, I occasionally pull out a quarter and say, “By the time this lands on the ground, you’re going to tell me what you think is right.” As I flip the coin into the air, she’ll generally give me her decision.

Think fast.

How have you seen this play out in your world?

Tags:

Comments

1. 1Barry Armstrong
    Jul 30, 2008 at 6:21 am

I have found very often that the fire for a project burns out quickly if action isn’t taken in a reasonable amount of time. I (we’ve) had a lot of great ideas which, once put off, never got started again. Things have a better life expectancy if nurtured from infancy.

2. Jul 30, 2008 at 6:56 am

At the other end of the spectrum is the “great idea” that comes in at the last minute. “Thinking fast” in that situation is to respond, “Yeah, uhm, that’s a great idea. That would have been a better idea three weeks ago.” I say let’s honor God by planning ahead a little better.

3. Jul 30, 2008 at 7:26 am

Totally agree! Two things that we talk a lot about is the reality that risk and uncertainty play such a crucial role in that “think fast” decision. That’s where our faith really amps up in that decision.

4. 5Judy
    Jul 30, 2008 at 7:52 am

Hummmm…not too well…define FAST for us…

5. Jul 30, 2008 at 8:30 am

For me if I take to long deciding I over think and usually make the decision way harder than it has to be. For me it works better to get the facts then act quickly.

6. Jul 30, 2008 at 8:38 am

taking too long to make a decision is definitely a problem

Even worse, and I have seen this play out time after time in my workplace, are the people that won’t make a decision at all…….they waver, or defer, never commit

Thanks for the great blog! It is such a great resource for leaders.

7. Jul 30, 2008 at 9:23 am

I had the blessing of being around Jerry Falwell,love him or not he gave what I think was a great peice of advice,”Make a decsion and make it work”. I have done this and it has been a helpful peice of advice. I do not vacillate in what should be done.

8. Jul 30, 2008 at 9:43 am

Steven Furtick’s blog entry today basically said the same thing. Opportunities have only a short shelf life. If God gives us the green light at an intersection, He will only honk a couple of times before He passes us in the other lane. Either God is speaking to us specifically today, or Craig and Steven spend too much time together. Great stuff!

9. Jul 30, 2008 at 11:29 am

[...] two posts from two different people that were very similar. The first post that I read was from Craig Groeschel and the second was from Steven Furtick. They were both about making decisions. They both said that [...]

10. Jul 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Okay.. since you said “Supernaturally”… Several friendships that I am so blessed to have today came from that very thing… thinking fast and being willing to look like a fool or nut either way you cut it. Also in regards to writing - had a knock at my email door that I almost did not answer. But, knew I was supposed to even though it did not make sense to me. Kevin Bussey and Steve Sjogren are just two examples of this in my life. Funny enough? Now I find it hard to think of life without either of them in it.

11. Jul 30, 2008 at 4:40 pm

This reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell’s book Blink. I think this is very good advice. There are times whenever God helps us to make quick decisions by looking into our hearts. Craig, thanks for putting a spiritual spin on this concept.

12. Jul 30, 2008 at 4:43 pm

13. Jul 31, 2008 at 7:27 am

Craig - I’m reading this post on a train full of people and distractions but this sound advice just helped me move forward on an issue on which I’ve been waffling. Many thanks for sharing this wisdom!

14. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:04 am

[...] July, 2008 in Dana’s Thoughts Click Here to read the short and simple advice that changed my day.  It might help you, too! [...]

15. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm

What I’ve seen in my life is that my initial decision or conclusion ended up being the the right one but to be “safe” I’ll spend several extra days researching and consulting the subject.

16. Aug 1, 2008 at 2:32 am

Wow, I am totally like what you described. I’m trying really hard to be a quicker and better decision maker. I always want to wait and make sure it will succeed 100%. It can be a lid on my leadership at times.