categories: accountability

July 16th, 2008

Temptations of Success (3 of 5)

Another common temptation of ministry success is “good opportunities.”

As God blesses your student ministry, kids’ ministry, or church, others will want to learn from you. Before you know it, you might have a few good opportunities. You might have an opportunity to write a book, or teach at a conference, or consult for a local church across town.

While you certainly don’t want to be selfish with the wisdom God’s given you, too many “good opportunities” can cause you to take your “eye off the ball.”

A wise leader will plan some boundaries to avoid the temptation of too many good opportunities.

Tags: ,

Comments

1. Jul 16, 2008 at 7:22 am

It has always amazed me how quickly a pastor (or some staff member) become experts when something works. I have also wondered how in the world guys who are gone from Monday through Friday or Saturday can prepare a sermon and preach it on Sunday. I love “my” people and don’t mind being here (except when I can go somewhere to learn). this is a good reminder that it is okay to be small. :)

2. Jul 16, 2008 at 9:00 am

Craig, I’ve spent the morning praying over my upcoming calendar. I have several amazing ‘opportunities’ that God has asked me to walk away from… He has clearly revealed that these things, however noble or even once-in-a-lifetime, are not in His will for my marriage and my family.

We must learn to listen to God more clearly and obey Him more quickly. I’m spend part of today canceling things that He never told me to accept - it’t worth the embarrassment… it’s dangerous to be outside of God’s perfect will.

3. Jul 16, 2008 at 9:22 am

Obviously, Craig, you have as many “good opportunities” as one could probably get. What are your boundaries that you’ve set up to avoid this temptation? And what is it about an opportunity that will cause you to take it?

4. Jul 16, 2008 at 10:31 am

I wholeheartedly second Patrick’s question!

5. Jul 16, 2008 at 11:56 am

I have two opportunities:

1) Go to a large university 40 min. away (OU), live there, and make an impact (of course through Christ) to as many people as I can there…in other words…I have a huge open door to ministry available.

2) Stay home, go to a local university, and help my family and friends through their troubles.

I feel called to go to the larger one, but the stress of my family troubles continues to bear down on me. This is how I feel: I want to escape from the troubles/pain, but also want to help.

I’ve been learning to rely fully on God and not fully on myself to help others (in other words, I’ve been learning the power of prayer without neglecting personal input)…so that of course will be what I stand on when I move away, but it’s just hard sometimes.

I guess I just needed to get that off my chest…

(basically when I just read what I typed above, I saw that I think I am needed, when I am not.)

6. Jul 21, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Wow thank-you that means a lot to me…

And my goodness! I love how you love the spiritual ripple! It’s a beautiful thing.