categories: priorities, recommendations

June 20th, 2008

Summer Break (I’m Curious)

1. What are your plans for a summer break?
  2. Where will you vacation?
  3. Do you have any great recommendations?

Tags: ,

Comments

1. Jun 20, 2008 at 5:35 am

Hey Pastor Craig - We are headed to the mountains of Tennessee, Absolutely Gorgeous country! Gatlinburg to be more specific.

Colorado - mountains outside Denver are beautiful this time of year as well!

2. Jun 20, 2008 at 6:10 am

It’s “Family Summer”. We rented a house at the beach for my whole family to descend on for a week to build sand castles, surf, and veg-out. In a few weeks, we’re heading to the North Carolina Cashiers mountains with my wife’s family. Flying fishing, sliding rock, reading, kids everywhere, eating, eating, and more eating!

3. Jun 20, 2008 at 6:49 am

I am way pumped to be leaving tomorrow for our first vacation in six years! We are going to visit family in Michigan for some camping, sand dune climbing in jeeps and adventures around Lake Michigan and Silver Lake. We HIGHLY recommend Michigan for vacations, especially the northwestern coast of Lake Michigan and the UP with Mackinac Island, Tahquamenon Falls and the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie! Beautiful! My family will have church at the campground…nothing like worshiping God at an early morning campfire.

4. Jun 20, 2008 at 6:53 am

I’ve already taken a summer break because I was inbetween jobs. We went to Pigeon Forge, TN and had a great time. The mountains are always a relaxing vacation for me, and a good time of self reflection.

5. Jun 20, 2008 at 7:17 am

Our sons (16, 13 and 10) are all going on various trips this summer. The older two have already been on a mission trip. (and are they ever high from it) If we go any where as a family it will be to see other family we have not seen since Christmas. Or perhaps we’ll make a trip to Florida to visit friends who are just as much family now. We’re trying to be good stewards of money, time, and etc. Not sure where we’re moving to.. just sure that we are. whether staying in Granbury or being taken somewhere else completely.

Praying for all whether vacation or staycation. May God renew as only He can.

6. Jun 20, 2008 at 8:09 am

We are moving to beautiful Hamtramck, Michigan this summer! Looking forward to two weeks to a month off between jobs if I can work it out. Not sure where we’ll go - I’ll glean from the comments for ideas. Somewhere good for an infant and a toddler…

Where would I recommend? Anywhere in Colorado!

7. Jun 20, 2008 at 9:14 am

1 & 2) In August, our family will be spending a week in a cabin in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee

3) Recommendation - spend a week camping, hiking, fishing, whitewater rafting in the mountains near Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado

8. Jun 20, 2008 at 9:30 am

Just got back from a week in Southern Cal. Love the weather there. Spent some time in Laguna and took our 3 year old to 2 days of Disney. We had a great time.

9. Jun 20, 2008 at 9:33 am

I love to go to any beach in North Carolina but mainly Topsail Island - it’s the best! This is the first time in 5 years that we’re not going to a North Carolina beach.

This year we are going to see family in Texas which will be fun but it’s not the beach.

A bad day at the beach is better than a good day anywhere else.

10. Jun 20, 2008 at 10:11 am

Tennessee last summer…White Water rafting, Hiking in the Smokey Mountains and mountain top cabin with my wife (best vacation ever)

This summer it’s off to Chicago for some baseball, museums, and family fun at the zoo…followed by some time with family in Michigan and a couple of nights on Lake Michigan with my wife.

Taking 2 Sundays off this year for the first time since we started BridgeWay…Should be a blast!

11. Jun 20, 2008 at 10:59 am

Since we already live in sunny CA and since gas prices are approachig the $5 mark, we’ll probably stay local and possibly postpone our vacation till Fall. In the meantime, I’m doing some day-hikes with my kids in the Sierras and Bay Area. We’ll probably end up spending a few days in Santa Cruz. Love the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - best deep-fried twinkies in the world!

12. Jun 20, 2008 at 11:09 am

Since I already live in “God’s country” I don’t need to go anywhere else. ;) I would highly recommend going to the northern part of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. We have some of the best fishing in the world - just ask George Bush Sr., Tom Cruise or Oprah. :) I might even know someone who could take you fishing … ;)

13. Jun 20, 2008 at 11:49 am

We’ll hit the beach in San Diego as usual. We go bayside to avoid the people and the ocean waves that knock our kids over. Last year the only people the whole length of the bayside beach were us and a single mom and her son. Now, that is relaxing!

14. Jun 20, 2008 at 11:56 am

We only live 1.5 hours from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg so won’t be doing that. We went to Hermosa Beach, Laguna Beach & San Diego last year. That was a blast.

This year we are doing Panama City Beach & Mobile, AL. We live in NC. I like white sand and clearer water versus brown sand on our coast. I’ve never been to the gulf so I’m excited about a new adventure. And we usually fly on vacation, but this time it is actually cheaper to drive. So it’s also our first road trip!

Next year I think we are doing Boston during the ACC baseball tournament so we can hopefully see Carolina and the Red Sox at Fenway (my husband’s idea).

15. Jun 20, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Branson, USA

16. Jun 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Just finished our second day at Silver Dollar City (Branson) with our granddaughter. We will meet the whole family near San Antonio in a couple of weeks. When you are retired and full-time RVing it seems like vacation all the time!

17. Jun 20, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Does selling my house, leaving my secure job and the town I’ve lived in forever, to plant a church in another state count as vacation? Looking forward to it more than any summer break I ever have had!!

Last month went to the outer banks of NC (Emerald Isle)to enjoy down time before the move!! Great place!

18. Jun 21, 2008 at 12:39 am

It’s winter in Australia, so we don’t get a summer break this time of the year… although Miles appears to be enjoying his hahah, we just need more surf. The book looks a good read craig!
    For His Kingdom and Glory men!
    Cheers,
    Olie

19. 20Randy and Jeanne Oakley
    Jun 21, 2008 at 9:03 am

Off to Costa Rica Sunday am for some family adventure time….. we will be meeting up with LifeChruch.tv friends that meet in a catfish restaurant…. we can’t wait….

20. Jun 21, 2008 at 11:25 am

The Creation Museum in Kentucky is worth a stop. Checkout http://www.answersingenesis.org for directions.

Really cool for both kids AND parents!

21. 22Ariel
    Jun 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm

I’m a single, 20-something, interim youth pastor whose “interimship” will be over July 1st, so I plan on going somewhere in July. Craig (and others), what did you do for vacation when you were single?

Any suggestions for a single man to take a vacation by himself would be appreciated! =)

22. Jun 22, 2008 at 7:27 am

Actually I am looking for new employment, but our family reunion is next month, and i’ve got to get away!!!

23. Jun 24, 2008 at 3:23 pm

My wife and i just got back from a week in Nashville, TN. As a worship and music pastor, I love going to here live music and there is no place better for it.

24. Jul 1, 2008 at 9:34 am

We’ve been taking the “official Smith family summervacation” during Spring Break - cheaper rates and all. During the summer the kids spend a couple of weeks at grandparents, my wife work a week of youth camp (oldest daughter goes this year). We will go to Daytona Beach for a denominational talent event. I’m only responsible for one student so I’m taking the family. Hotel on the beach - mini vacation there. Then we take advantage of day trip events and then end the summer with 3 days at our favorite resort in Myrtle Beach.

Love reading your stuff by the way.

thanks

25. Jul 5, 2008 at 11:26 am

All you guys, you have to come to El Salvador.
    Great beaches, great moutains, summer all year ’round.