categories: personal, preaching

June 10th, 2008

Trust The Story

Great communicators are generally great storytellers! Jesus may have been the greatest storyteller who ever lived.

My preaching mentor always reminded me, “People remember stories.”

Over the years, I have spent enormous amounts of time searching for stories and developing personal ones.

I will always use and value stories, but I am growing to trust more in The Story than in personal or second-hand stories.

As a preacher, you might put a little less faith in your cute, funny, or even powerful stories and more faith in the power of The Story found through God’s word!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. Jun 10, 2008 at 6:56 am

I agree, it’s all about how you communicate “The Story” whether that be personal or God’s Word.

Craig~ You have more stories than anyone I know!

2. 2Andrew HNV
    Jun 10, 2008 at 7:17 am

Thanks Craig. It’s a great day to be reminded of this.

3. 3Steve
    Jun 10, 2008 at 7:59 am

Stories have their place but nothing can or should replace the simplicity of the Story. The Story (the Gospel) is still the power of God for salvation.I enjoyed our One Prayer message last Sunday, “Lord make us Visible.”

4. Jun 10, 2008 at 8:52 am

Great thought - I’ve discovered the power of narrative preaching over the years, especially when using bible stories - there are so many good ones!

5. Jun 10, 2008 at 9:33 am

Scott, Craig does have a ton of stories! Do you think they are all true? :)

Andrew, hope things are going well in Hendersonville!

Steve, we’re honored to partner with your church for One Prayer.

John, I agree, sometimes the best illustration is a story in the Bible.

6. Jun 10, 2008 at 9:35 am

I believe the bible is very relevant so i do agree that the stories from the scriptures matter most. For me, i probably need to add a few more personal stories from my life, i’m kind of a private guy so i struggle in that area.

7. Jun 10, 2008 at 9:37 am

I think sometimes we forget the power in the Message itself and rely too much on our flesh to produce. While it takes one gifted to deliver the Gospel in a way that captures another’s heart, we need not forget the power of the His Word alone - and the power of prayer in preparation.

8. Jun 10, 2008 at 10:22 am

Craig, I’ve noticed this change in your preaching over the last couple of years…I think even more so over the last year.

I still think that a personal story that runs parallel to The Story helps to make the message sticky…thanks for the insight!

9. Jun 10, 2008 at 11:01 am

Could not agree with you more. I think one thing that individuals at times lose sight of in storytelling whether through preaching and/or teaching… if The Story had not be written - none of the others would matter one single bit. I’m often asked to tell the story of my physical healing back in 2003. And while I am thrilled to share that story.. it would not matter if I had been healed if Christ had not walked this earth and died and rose again. Were it not for grace… That’s the Real Healing!

10. Jun 10, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Now if you could just take out the part where you say Lifechurch and put in The Well, I could use that promo for our “See You at the Movies” series. :) Seriously though, that’s a pretty amazing intro.

11. Jun 10, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I pray that I live in such a was as to make The Story a huge part of my story. When we live out the Scriptures the stories of our lives will magnify His Story. Erwin McManus, a great story teller, once said this, “preach your life wrapped in the Scriptures.”

If our lives aren’t preaching the Story our words will be rather empty. People who tell about the Story aren’t nearly as powerful as those who show it in their own lives.

Criag, I believe you when you communicate because His Story is so much a part of yours.

12. 13jim
    Jun 10, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Stories are what I normally remember when I hear others speak and people will normally bring up stories that I use from my own life when I share in services. Thanks for the reminder.

13. Jun 10, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Amen to that!

14. Jun 10, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Craig,

It would be great to hear about a story that you felt got a certain point across and why that story did just that.

Are there elements to a story that are essential? Thanks for this post!

15. Jun 10, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I like a mixture of both types of stories. Sometimes, depending on the maturity of the “audience” it’s easier to relate a biblical principle from His story to a story that helps to bring His point home.

16. Jun 10, 2008 at 5:53 pm

What an encouraging post Craig! Thanks!

17. Jun 10, 2008 at 6:54 pm

amen!

18. Jun 11, 2008 at 3:28 am

His story infused into my story in order to produce ‘their’ story, which of course, points right back to His story…

yeah, cool, makes sense.

Thanks Craig.

19. 20tony
    Jun 11, 2008 at 6:45 am

agree with Dale - you’re changing the delivery a bit - and you have my support on that - but, my approval means nothing in the big picture except that we should encourage one another!!! (and use spell check i suppose)

THE STORY is a most delightful story isn’t it? when things get tough or ‘unfair’ or i’m overwhelmed with something I simply sit back and think of that STORY - man, am I loved, are You loved, and are We loved!

20. 21Baby
    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:08 am

Pr Craig
    I am of the Brazil, and I am only one big admirer she sweats , I read your book confession by one pastor and me she rang a good deal, God she spoke a good deal the meu heart she crosses of this book , I wish I express gratitude the God and the you for this timeliness and for be able speak with you!!! God godsent she sweats life , that’s a please she knows - he

Barbara Lobato

21. Jun 11, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Stories have the ability to capture the imagination and move us to forgotten places and times within our hearts. The challenge as a communicator is once I take them there I then need to lead them on from there into the greatest story ever unfolded. Salvation through Jesus!!

22. Jun 21, 2008 at 12:08 am