For the past five years I’ve prepared sermons in the same place.
- My office at church looks exactly the same as it did five years ago.
- My view out the window hasn’t changed.
- The people outside my door are, for the most part, the same people.
Although I find comfort in what is known, it is also easy to get in a rut.
I suggest disrupting the view.
- If you’re a pastor, pray or study in a new place.
- Counsel someone outside on a pretty day.
- Drive 30 minutes out of town and spend a half day reading in a different spot.
- When possible, get out of town for a few days and do the same work in another place.
I am writing this post from the Newark airport after 24 hours in Manhattan. Even though I had little time for prayer and study, God worked in my heart in a big way—simply by disrupting the view. Talking to tons of people and seeing the thousands of people who don’t care much at all about Christ made my heart bigger for people.
What can you do this week to disrupt your view?