categories: creativity, personal, recommendations, spiritual development

May 20th, 2008

Disrupt The View

For the past five years I’ve prepared sermons in the same place.

• My office at church looks exactly the same as it did five years ago.
  • My view out the window hasn’t changed.
  • The people outside my door are, for the most part, the same people.

Although I find comfort in what is known, it is also easy to get in a rut.

I suggest disrupting the view.

• If you’re a pastor, pray or study in a new place.
  • Counsel someone outside on a pretty day.
  • Drive 30 minutes out of town and spend a half day reading in a different spot.
  • When possible, get out of town for a few days and do the same work in another place.

I am writing this post from the Newark airport after 24 hours in Manhattan. Even though I had little time for prayer and study, God worked in my heart in a big way—simply by disrupting the view. Talking to tons of people and seeing the thousands of people who don’t care much at all about Christ made my heart bigger for people.

What can you do this week to disrupt your view?

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. May 20, 2008 at 7:02 am

Maybe I can use your office this week! :-)

I totally agree w/ disrupting the view: on your ride to and from work, where you read, where you study, places for lunch…

2. May 20, 2008 at 7:07 am

Great stuff! This past weekend I was able to get away for the first time in 6 months…my wife and i only went 3 hours away and for only 3 days…but my view was disrupted and it was awesome! my mind, strength, and passion was renewed in a big way!

3. May 20, 2008 at 7:31 am

If you can’t afford or don’t have the time to go to a new place some time doing something very different in the same space can be very effective.

One day when I worked in the creative department for a school district here in Oklahoma we were having a hard time thinking of a new and creative way to market some of your classes. My boss had all of us lay on the ground and put our legs up against the wall. We kept talking and five minutes later we had it.

4. May 20, 2008 at 8:08 am

I think your suggestions are great, not all that easy, but quite good. I find moving out of my “normal” surroundings once in a while is VERY productive and gets the creativeness working in the mind.

5. May 20, 2008 at 8:25 am

Way to go Craig! You just gave me permission to eat and read at Chipotle! Cool! Actually I think you are right although I don’t have a laptop and I still use books to study with rather than access everything from the computer so I am pretty tied to doing my sermon prep from the office. Since we don’t have a coffee shop in town (and I don’t drink it anyway) I like the idea of eating and reading. Thanks for the permission! :)

6. May 20, 2008 at 9:17 am

I live in east Tennessee, I think I will drive 30 minutes into the mountains, sit by a mountain stream and open God’s word. :)

7. May 20, 2008 at 9:18 am

I was just thinking today that my office has become intellectually stagnate and that I don’t get any work done in their anymore. This summer, during our break, I am going to rearrange the desks and put up some new decor as well as make it a habit to study at coffee shops.

8. May 20, 2008 at 10:06 am

Craig, your post has obviously struck a resonant chord. I can see people all over the country fleeing their offices today and quoting you as a result!

I am 100% with you on the change of scenery, even if the scenery you change to is still “flat.” On a recent drive up the coast of Florida to Atlanta (not a beautiful drive, though it sounds like it should be) my husband and I launched a new business concept, solved a family dilemma that had been haunting us for weeks, and…well…caught up on Lost (But I don’t think that was what you had in mind!). Changing the spot I sit always leads to new connections in my brain, which is why I am such a fanatic about inhabiting the Third Places in the community. We seem to be more receptive in those environments.

There is also a study out which states that we are more receptive to new ideas after ingesting the chemicals contained in coffee. Keep that in mind when pitching a new concept, or when you know someone is going to be pitching you!

9. May 20, 2008 at 10:08 am

Getting out of the office and away from a internet connection is a great way for me to be more productive and focused. My office is 10 minutes away from one of the 7 Wonders, Niagara Falls. The sad part is, I seldom take advantage of this awesome wonder of God. But this morning I did. Instead of coming into the office I drove down past the Falls and then to a quite place along the Niagara River. It was good for me and I need to do it more often.

10. 11Larry
    May 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Our staff is going to take one work day in the next 30 days and have a complete 8 hours disruption. We are using the suggestion from the book “The Life You’ve Always Wanted.” We are anxious to see how God is going to show up.

11. May 20, 2008 at 8:25 pm

did you seriously just say “prety day”?

12. May 26, 2008 at 1:33 am

I mentor young girls (like college age). We always meet for FOOD/Coffee! Lately, I have been changing it up by meeting for a walk in the park. It’s refreshing!

Why is everything in America centered around FOOD? Double date - let’s get food. My husband and I would like a place to just go - read our bible - pray together - talk and HANG out (without our children climbing on us). If you find it, let me know.

13. 14Christine N.
    May 26, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Growing up my Dad always said, “A change is as good as a rest.” I think the current theme demonstrates this saying.