categories: LifeChurch.tv, communication, preaching

May 13th, 2008

Communication Techniques: The Question

Great teachers and communicators know the power of a well-timed question.

Asking a direct question and giving your audience time to answer can open the door for a life changing moment.

• When preaching on “Doubting Thomas, you might ask, “In your most honest moment, what is your biggest spiritual doubt? Be specific.”
  • When preaching on worry, you might ask, “What is the #1 thing you are still unwilling to trust to God?”
  • When you are preaching on evangelism, you might ask, “Who are the three people you’d most like to see meet Christ?”
  • When teaching on faith, you might ask, “In what area of your life do you live as if God doesn’t exist?”

By helping people acknowledge a specific response to a question, you might open them to hear a specific word on the subject from God.

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. May 13, 2008 at 6:25 am

The question can be a powerful point of introspective buy-in for the listener, helps maintain engagement and helps listeners to realize that others are in the same boat they are in.

2. May 13, 2008 at 7:48 am

i don’t even have to hear a message or be listening to a sermon… those four questions shake me if i just read them.

i think that i ask a lot of questions when i speak. but i think i need to begin to embrace the pause a bit more. these two could be a deadly duo.

3. 3Brandon
    May 13, 2008 at 8:11 am

I agree with Blake. The Pause and The Question are a deadly duo. Few things, maybe nothing, work better than a well timed/worded Question followed by a Pause.

I remember Craig talking about how simple of a choice dying for someone you love in a heated moment could be. Then he asked us all why it was so hard to live daily for those same people.

Pause…

The exact message and even the topic escapes me, but that question stayed.

4. May 13, 2008 at 8:29 am

The Question is a very powerful tool, it forces the listener to engage. I try to end each point with a question and then come back to those questions at the conclusion of the message.

A lot of people are very indecisive and just want to be told what they should do, using the question forces them to determine their next step, to wrestle for an answer, it stretches them, it makes them think.

Good stuff Craig, can’t wait until tomorrow.

5. May 13, 2008 at 8:57 am

Sometimes, when we do this, we actually might be REPEATING the question these folk have been asking for a long time. Its just that we’ve allowed the Holy Spirit to carve out a Holy moment where they can finally discover the answer.

6. May 13, 2008 at 7:33 pm

I love this post. The question allows the audience the ability to internalize it, wrestle with it, and personalize it. So much more can be said with a question, sort of ironic.

7. May 14, 2008 at 2:43 am

C,

Was gone all day yesterday routing a bike trip set for June. :) I have been preaching a series on “Confessions of a Pastor” and with each confession I have made I have drawn them in with a question like “How many of you have felt that way”? or “How many of you have or still do struggle with that?” I want to ask them to raise their hands so I don’t feel so alone up there but I don’t. I just watch heads nod. :)

8. May 17, 2008 at 8:00 pm

[...] You might invite the crowd to answer the question in their mind, write their answer on paper, or better yet, discuss their answer with three people around them.  Read more… [...]