categories: LifeChurch.tv, community, global church, one prayer

May 9th, 2008

Make Every Effort

Ephesians 4:3-6 says, Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.”

Paul implies that unity won’t just happen. He instructs us to “make every effort.”

You can make some efforts by:

• Sharing your resources with other ministries. (This could include your building, portable sound system, van, curriculum, or youth pastor.)
  • Deciding to only speak well of others.
  • Attending your local ministers’ meeting and making friends.
  • Calling another local pastor and asking him if you can worship at his church on your next weekend off. Write a letter afterwards to express how his church blessed you.
  • Pray for other ministries.
  • Avoid ministry gossip, and tell others you will not listen to it when they start.

What are some efforts someone has made toward you? What are you doing for others?

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. 1tony
    May 9, 2008 at 5:56 am

an absolutely beautiful verse - nothing about standing out, being flashy, growing faster, etc

defintely not knocking these things - but the core is pretty clear here and isn’t it interesting how the Gospel so many times uses (in Englsh translations)one syllable words for us Gentiles to read

one, love, give, peace, fruit, proaise, knock, etc - oh, and pray!

2. May 9, 2008 at 6:11 am

Thanks for throwing “youth pastor” in the same category as the church van and sound system.

3. 3Jonathan
    May 9, 2008 at 7:33 am

This is what I want to see happening in our community. Our pastor has great relationships with other pastors in the area, but I would love to see churches unite and work together in some kind of common minstry. Big church, small church, difference in denomination…whatever. Doesn’t matter.

Imagine what the church would really be like if we combine our resources, energy, and time. What an impression we could make by standing together and working side by side on a regular basis. Thanks for initiating One Prayer. I think its the start of something great.

4. 4brandonp
    May 9, 2008 at 7:39 am

Isn’t it astonishing to think about how much time is wasted doing just the opposite? “Making every effort to prove the other guy wrong.”

5. May 9, 2008 at 8:07 am

I tried going to associational ministers meetings but they actually dragged me down. Are you suggesting going just to show support to other ministries?

6. May 9, 2008 at 8:59 am

Question,

Where’s the line drawn? For instance. I hate to say names, but it’s all public anyhow.

Driscoll will call out Rob Bell or Brian Mclaren. He does this because he is “contending” for the gospel and fighting false doctrine. (In his mind)

Is he breaking the “unity” of of the Spirit?

So…I’m not asking your opinion on this situation in- particular. This is just an example. How do we draw the lines?

Seems so hard to discern!

7. 7Kenyon
    May 9, 2008 at 9:13 am

Currently we have a pastor of another church “officing” in our facilities. It is a great relationship as our churches are similar in size and age. There is mutual encouragement and we can share ideas and bounce ideas off each other. As well as just having someone else around always feels better.

8. 8Mark Jr
    May 9, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Love these verses. It would seem to me that the way we accomplish this is in verse 2:

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

It’s only out of a humble, gentle, patient and loving heart that we can make every effort towards unity. We fail at unity when we are arrogant, pushy, impatient and self-serving. If we can wrap our hearts around the right motive and then make every effort, God’s kingdom grows and he receives all the glory, we just get a chance to go along for the ride!

Craig, thanks for modeling the right motives, plenty of big cutting edge churches and their leaders don’t get it. Thanks for leading the ones who do into One Prayer.

9. May 9, 2008 at 2:15 pm

a good word.

i’m thankful that despite some conflict and contentious conversations, there is a larger spirit of collaboration that is taking place in the Church. through it all, His grace covers us.

thanks for the work that you are doing, the courage to lead, and the humility to listen.

10. May 10, 2008 at 5:02 am

[...] I loved this post by Craig Groeschel. This guy gets it and is working to help us all see that those of us who follow [...]

11. May 10, 2008 at 9:10 am

I gotta say, I agree with kevin. It is a great thought for churches to meet with each other. Although it would seem that for me I see most of those meetings there are too many “cooks in the kitchen”. Most meetings I have been to intentionally ignore the big church leaders and listen only to the small church leaders. I am not saying that big churches have all the answers but ignoring all together seems a bit off. I love unity but is the thought of churches working together a bit of a reach especially since , like kevin said, most meetings bring you down.

12. May 10, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Craig,

I love this post and I love the fact that I saw this in action from you at the Creative Marriage retreat with Ed and Lisa Young. On that note I want to thank you for a phenomenal but simple message that I really needed to hear. The reality is I do not pursue my wife nearly enough. Sometimes she probably wonders if I even live on the same planet. It was an honor to hear you. Please tell Amy my wife really appreciated her godly spirit. Her short greeting really impacted my wife in so many ways. The fact that Amy homeschools 6 kids no doubt is a biggy for my wife. Anyway, thanks!

Rusty Williams
    Shippensburg,PA

13. May 20, 2008 at 9:08 am

Hi Craig, I got referred to your site from another blog I read regularly. I just wanted to make a general comment at how positive and practical your posts are. Thanks,
    Dave