categories: recommendations, relationships

April 22nd, 2008

Expressions of Gratitude

There are a few people I can thank of who have impacted me so deeply that words alone cannot express my gratitude.

Here are a few ideas of how to creatively say “thank you”:

• Build a short video of yourself saying “thank you.”
  • Preach about the person and mail them the message.
  • Write down everything you have learned from the person and send it to them.
  • Design a plaque that expresses your gratitude.
  • Write the person’s kids a note to express what a difference their mom or dad made in your life.
  • Dedicate something to that person. It could be a book, a sermon, a blog post, etc.
  • Name a child after someone you admire.
  • Send them a gift of appreciation.

Get creative expressing your gratitude!

What have you done for others? What have others done for you?

Tags: ,

Comments

1. 1tony
    Apr 22, 2008 at 5:44 am

‘…..my life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man, I’m just a living legacy to the leader of the band.’ (Fogelberg)

thanks dad, enjoy fishin’ and campin’ and speakin’ espanol in heaven!

thanks Jesus - you’re the man

2. Apr 22, 2008 at 7:11 am

While I was in seminary I had a professor that assigned us to write a letter to the person who led us to a relationship with Jesus. I had never thought of doing this before and it was very emotional for me. I could not say thank you enough for the time they spent with me so that I could have this relationship today.

Thanks again Mom and Dad!!!

3. Apr 22, 2008 at 7:46 am

Several years ago my late mother was telling me about the pastor who was “there for me” when I was a teenager and how they had gone through a rough time in the ministry. So I hand wrote a personal note on “my stationary” to tell them how much of a difference they had made in my life. It was because of them that I dedicated my life to being a Christ follower and ultimately felt called to preach. They moved before I graduated from high school and I had lost total contact with them. Their response was worth it all.

4. Apr 22, 2008 at 7:49 am

i was told when by the pastor who did my marriage counseling to be prepared to write thank you notes. a hand written note is better than a phone call, email, or anything else.

i’d like to dedicate this comment to him.

5. Apr 22, 2008 at 1:27 pm

On the receiving end of thanks I had an experience this Sunday that blew me away. It was my last Sunday prior to my sabbatical beginning and they - as a surprise - chose 4 different people (and different ones in each service) from our congregation to affirm me and pray over me. This was one of the most wonderful things I have ever received as a leader. So if you’re close by - go pray over/with whoever you want to thank! They’ve probably prayed for you many times! But there’s nothing like the gift of a loving touch and prayer. I had several of the people give me copies of their prayers afterwards so that I could keep them. Very special!

6. 7Brandon
    Apr 22, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I do not remember who said it, but I remember reading “Unexpressed gratitude communicates no gratitude.”. Too many leaders only hear the negative without getting a healthy dose of reinforcement.

7. Apr 22, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Today, with technology growing, emails and text messages flood our lives. I think in many ways an old fashioned “hand-written” letter sent through snail mail has become creative. Still my preferred choice for saying thank you. It takes much more time and thought.

8. Apr 23, 2008 at 5:33 am

During the years I was ill, countless individuals were there for me, my husband, and our three sons. They were there through prayer, encouragement, and etc. Our two oldest sons became Christ followers during this time - due in part to the sheer kindness of others because of their love for Jesus and therefore, our family. When I was healed, part of my thank you became sharing about these individuals and the way God used them in our lives. For example: The friend who fed me bits of chocolate.. actually crumbling them up and laying on my tongue because she knew how I missed the taste and longed for something other than had to be put in a blender. How she fed me in way that showed she paid attention to who I was even though I looked so incredibly different. At that point, I was paralyzed from the neck down..

When I became my daddy’s caregiver, I brought with me these individuals. Whether it was in the way I bathed him, fed him, read The Word to him, and etc… Especially how I prayed for and encouraged him. Not because of my self mind you.. but because of His Spirit being alive through me and countless others.

My thank you is also one of the reasons why I am a hugger, hand holder, and hand raiser in praise to Him alone!

9. Apr 23, 2008 at 12:16 pm

These are great. My favorite is the note to the kids. I just got a note from our daughter’s teacher about her progress in school and it was so encouraging. If she got a note from her teacher about me, I’m sure it would be incredible!

10. 11John Solomon
    Feb 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I just finished reading the book The Christian Atheist and it has changed my life. I will no longer be living as a christian atheist and I promise GOD that because hell is not a option for me I do not want to burn in HELL for eternity although I know its gonna take time to get fully where I need to be but it will be an amazing journey. I always have strongly believed in GOD but lived for him about 75% of my life and I need to give the full 100%… Thank you so much Craig Groeschel you opened my eyes and let me see GOD in full. GOD BLESS.