categories: YouVersion, technology, working together

September 27th, 2007

YouVersion Beta is Now Public

Three months have quickly passed since we revealed the concept of YouVersion.com – a free online Bible that connects the interactivity of Web 2.0 with the timeless truths of scripture. After several stages of Alpha testing and one Private Beta release, we are excited to announce the Public Beta version is now LIVE and ready for you to explore!

Simply go to YouVersion.com to see how it works. Everything is free and will remain free, but to interact with some of the personalized features you’ll need to go through a simple registration process.

Here is what you can do with YouVersion in this release:

• Star verses and content
• Tag verses and content
• Start journaling in the “My Journal” feature
• See what others are sharing
• Email items to your friends and family
• Rate content
• And so much more…

Currently we have integrated the following Bible translations:

New King James Version (NKJV) - Thomas Nelson
New Century Version (NCV) - Thomas Nelson
English Standard Version (ESV) - Good News Publishers/Crossway
King James Version (KJV)
World English Bible
American Standard Version (ASV)
Smith and VanDyke Arabic Bible

We have signed license agreements and will very shortly be making available:

The Message (MSG) - Navpress
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) - Holman Bible Publishers/B&H

We also have a commitment from:

Contemporary English Version (CEV) - American Bible Society

At this point, default translation will be King James Version, but you can easily change that if you’d like by simply clicking on the title.

Our Digerati Team has been eating, sleeping, and dreaming all things YouVersion for the last three months and it is nothing short of incredible to see how their commitment has paid off as we are right on schedule. I’d also like to express our appreciation for the hundreds of Alpha and Private Beta testers who contributed their time and given feedback! Additionally, I’m very thankful for the publishers who have captured the vision of this project and been willing to allow us to use their translations. We certainly couldn’t have made it to this point alone.

This is just the beginning. Several more features will be rolling out in the coming weeks as we continue to develop this tool.

Now it’s your turn to discover YouVersion and help us make it better by giving us feedback during this beta release. For those of you that blog, we’d love to have your post your thoughts about it. I look forward to seeing what God has in store for this new community of people reading, reflecting, and sharing how God is moving in a brand new and exciting way. I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. Sep 27, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Bobby, it has been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a small part of this amazing project. The future is very bright, and the list is really long! :)

I echo your remarks, the team is amazing and they did a wonderful job for sure. Team, you guys rock!!!!!!

Stay tuned…there are some really awesome things coming in the near future to YouVersion.com.

2. Sep 27, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Just when I sold out to ebible, you had to come along with this. Very nicey…

3. Sep 27, 2007 at 2:32 pm

[...] Check out the Swerve Blog for more details… [...]

4. Sep 27, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Absolutely wonderful. Great job! Thanks for all of your work.

This is what it’s all about.

5. Sep 27, 2007 at 3:14 pm

[...] Enjoy it, play around with the features, and dig in along with me. Below is more information about YouVersion.com courtesy of the Swerve blog from LifeChurch.tv: [...]

6. Sep 27, 2007 at 3:28 pm

You guys did an outstanding job on this one.

I’m continually inspired and impressed by the content and innovation that you produce. It’s amazing.

I wrote my thoughts on it here.

Thanks so much for all you’re doing!

7. Sep 27, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Congratulations team! I will enjoy watching YouVersion develop.

8. Sep 27, 2007 at 6:10 pm

THIS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Great work guys.

9. Sep 27, 2007 at 7:50 pm

[...] **Post from Swerve** [...]

10. Sep 27, 2007 at 8:29 pm

great job Bobby, Terry and everybody else!

11. Sep 27, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Bobby & Digerati Team, nice application. well thought out. any kind of content mashups in the works?

I’m going to give this a serious test drive.

Steve Brewer
    Communications & Technology Catalyst

12. Sep 27, 2007 at 10:51 pm

I’m very impressed by this and I truly believe that many of the apps you guys are creating are the next wave of how we “do church”. Thank you.

By the way what sort of traffic are you experiencing?

13. Sep 27, 2007 at 11:02 pm

[...] Sep 28th, 2007 by snshields Bobby Gruenewald announces: [...]

14. Sep 27, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Wow..this is amazing! Thanks a lot!

15. Sep 28, 2007 at 7:32 am

Grrrrreat. Job guys. Left my comments and short review on my blog.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

Todd

16. Sep 28, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Posted a review here, love to hear comments as to why I’m wrong.

17. Sep 28, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Bobby, often I write blog titles just because they are fun. Thanks for taking my post as it was intended.

Beta is beta, I admit it’s not fair to compare it to eBible. And I do know that you have spoken to eBible.

Great to hear that you’ve thought about the initial view. That is totally where you can innovate especially if you can figure out how to draw in non-Bible readers using user-generated content.

Great that you will be working on a way to extend YouVersion off the domain via widgets.

Critical mass for user-content, great!

Does that mean we can look forward to an API? That will let me post to WordPress and push it over to YouVersion? Or something like that…

I hope that you (and your team) get that its will a passion for great Internet products that I do agitate a little bit. Thanks for the response.

18. Sep 28, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Bobby,

Congrats. Will you be including the New Living Translation in the mix soon as well?

19. 21David E Thomas
    Oct 1, 2007 at 2:59 pm

I’ve tried twice (last Friday, then again today) to create a user account. I get to the Form, fill it out, click submit and nothing happens.

I back out and try to log in and it says “account not found”

Have you talked to the guys at Bible.org about getting the NET Bible translation? Since they are committed to open source. It may be an easy addition.

20. Oct 2, 2007 at 9:30 am

[...] Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 in Bible Study, Christianity Tags: Bible Study, Christianity, YouVersion if you enjoy Bible study, and want to join a community of others who enjoy it as well then you need to check this out.  As the  beginning of this i think it will be really good, but as the community grows i am sure it will see many of the same problems that have faced wikipedia.  hopefully every one will remember to be Christians in the way to talk about Christianity.  at any rate, this could be a great resource, especially for those who don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on Bible software. [...]

21. Oct 16, 2007 at 8:47 am

[...] It’s currently in public beta testing. Here are more deets from a post at Swerve.LifeChurch.tv. • Search for scripture, jump to a book/chapter/verse, or scroll through our Bible Reader • Star verses and content • Tag verses and content • Contribute and/or associate images, videos, links, and text to verses or series of verses • Start journaling in the “My Journal? feature • See what others are sharing • Email items to your friends and family • Rate content • And so much more… [...]

22. Sep 29, 2011 at 3:27 am

NO better comment, because it’s all there in YouVersion.
    I love YV! Miss Jeane (58)

23. 25Rev. Bob Lankford
    Nov 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

My dear brothers, what an awesome piece of work you have done with YouVersion. As a retired Southern Baptist pastor, I have only recently become more involved with the Bible of computer and now on my phone, thanks to you guys. May God continue to bless you and your church and I look forward to more of what you have to come. If I can be of any service to you, please feel free to ask. I would love to help in any way I can.

Thanks again,