categories: LifeChurch.tv, church, support

September 6th, 2007

Thoughts from an Assistant 3 (of 4)

Behind the Scenes

So, you want some dirt on Craig?… just kidding!

Honestly, there’s not a lot to tell. Behind the scenes, Craig’s a normal guy. He struggles with the same things we all struggle with.

Most people think he’s a man of steel, but he can be emotional, too. He’s been known to tear up on occasion. His heart truly breaks for people to know Jesus in an intimate way.

With his permission, I’ll share some things that challenge him:

• He wonders if his messages are impacting people.
  • The thought of leading a large church can be very overwhelming.
  • Even though he’s been preaching for seventeen years, he still gets nervous getting up in front of everyone on the weekends.
  • When I first started working for him, he would freak out pretty easy if things didn’t work out the way he was expecting. But he’s worked hard to think before responding. Now he rarely freaks out. He’s learned to process through his emotions better.
  • It’s frustrating to him that he can’t go out to dinner with his family without someone stopping him.
  • Being the leader of our church, people are inclined to agree with his thoughts. He truly seeks genuine input from others and is not afraid to be told when he’s wrong (which isn’t often. :) )

Just for fun…

• His favorite thing to eat is all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet.
  • He likes to see how loud he can burp.
  • He likes to give people nicknames.
  • He’s got “mad” nunchuck skills. (seriously)
  • Don’t hold it against him if his clothes don’t match—he’s color blind.
  • He likes to play tennis, workout, our bike ride as a stress reliever.
  • He loves to read Nancy Drew books to his kids.
  • He loves to take his wife, Amy, to Bed and Breakfasts.

All in all, he’s human, just like us. He has bad days, just like you and me. We all need grace.

Comments

1. Sep 6, 2007 at 7:03 am

If I would have known about the burping thing when I came through a couple months ago, I totally would have taken him on…next time I’m around…I dare him to bring it. :)

2. Sep 6, 2007 at 7:35 am

Sarah- You should post a link to the video of Craig showing off his nunchuck skills, or maybe the Napoleon Dynamite dance video would be better. :-)

3. 3BrandonP
    Sep 6, 2007 at 8:37 am

Sarah,
    I know this doesn’t fall under your jurisdiction, but have you ever tried to find or suggested a hole-in-the wall type restraunt just outside town. He would be less likely to be known, though Amy may not think ribs are romantic….

4. 4KP
    Sep 6, 2007 at 9:01 am

Sarah, thank you for this series. My wife is a church secretary and I’ve been sharing these posts with her. She’s thoroughly enjoying them. It’s been a blessing!

5. Sep 6, 2007 at 11:27 am

Sarah,
    As an office manager of a new church plant, it has been insightful, encouraging and fun reading your blogs. I think more assistants and administrators should have blogs. They are helpful for us “newbies”

6. Sep 6, 2007 at 11:50 am

completely stunned!

He’s got “mad? nunchuck skills. (seriously)

i never knew..i think that completely rocks!…however, i just wrote a kung fu leadership book that includes an interview with mr. craig groeschel and i am shocked he failed to mention this important fact about himself during our interview…

the video demonstration of the mad nunchuk skills is a must :)….

peace….m.

7. 7Sarah
    Sep 6, 2007 at 11:51 am

I appreciate the encouraging words from everyone.

Brandon, thanks for the suggestion.

8. 8richard
    Sep 6, 2007 at 5:00 pm

* He wonders if his messages are impacting people.

stop wondering, they do. you bless more that you will ever know or be able to understand.

* The thought of leading a large church can be very overwhelming.

surround yourself with godly people like you do.

* Even though he’s been preaching for seventeen years, he still gets nervous getting up in front of everyone on the weekends.

good, when you don’t is when you should really worry.

* When I first started working for him, he would freak out pretty easy if things didn’t work out the way he was expecting. But he’s worked hard to think before responding. Now he rarely freaks out. He’s learned to process through his emotions better.

God is really doing all the ‘work’ so ‘things not working to our expectiations’ is normal.

* It’s frustrating to him that he can’t go out to dinner with his family without someone stopping him.

if you won the lottery would you complain about paying the taxes?? just kidding, being a p.k. this is really toughest on the kids/spouse.

* Being the leader of our church, people are inclined to agree with his thoughts. He truly seeks genuine input from others and is not afraid to be told when he’s wrong (which isn’t often. :) )

Thanks to this resource we can give you our genuine input.

Thank you Sarah for your obvious love and devotion to him… our heavenly father.

9. 9Jimmy Paravane
    Sep 6, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Dang! I’m in bad shape then because I like his taste in shirts. Two things. 1. Try eating at places where you won’t get recognized. Us nonaliens don’t watch Sunday morning TV, and most of us don’t watch Internet church. (grin) 2. The Hardy Boys Mystery books are good too. I don’t know if they’re still in print though.

10. 10Marcin Mizak
    Sep 7, 2007 at 5:59 am

Great stuff. Thanks Sarah.

11. 11Eric
    Sep 10, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Sarah,

I know I am late on posting on this entry, but I think a lot of pastors would benefit from hearing about the safeguards that you and Craig have in place to prevent any signs of an inappropriate relationship.

I suspect that a lot of pastors’ assistants learn some very personal things (e.g. your post) about their bosses and without accountability in place, dangerous baby steps can be taken toward destruction.

Just thought this subject may be good for a future blog series.

12. 12Sarah
    Sep 11, 2007 at 8:45 am

Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thinks it’s a great idea. Craig and I are both adamant about accountability. We’re never in the office alone with the door closed. We don’t go anywhere alone. We also put boundaries on discussing personal issues.

Also I think it’s helpful for the assistant to have a good relationship with the pastor’s wife. I admire and respect Amy very much. She’s an amazing woman.

13. 13Bill
    Dec 24, 2011 at 3:58 am

Just curious about this Craig / Napoleon Dynamite recreation dance video that Ive heard about. Does it exist?