categories: LifeChurch.tv, Second Life

April 20th, 2007

The ups and downs of Second Life

As many of you know, we launched a worship experience on Easter weekend in our virtual campus in Second Life. We had a great turnout, but did not have a glitch-free experience. Terry Storch gave a summary of some of the technical challenges that we experienced that weekend on his blog. However, his team worked hard the next week and were successful this last weekend at resolving those issues. The experience ran smooth.

Even with some early technical challenges…God is already using our island in Second Life!

Here is an example:

Just yesterday I had an email forwarded to me that was from a 41 year old guy named Troy who is a Second Life user that found our island while roaming around the virtual world. In the email, he describes the challenges that he has faced in real life and then on to how he began crying when he watched the mysecret.tv videos in Second Life.
He went on to say…”After watching and praying with craig i raised my hands confessed my sins and gave myself to jesus for the first time in my life…. what a wonderfull feeling to be free of my sins, to find out how to get rid of my bitterness, most of my fears, to understand how i’ve been holding all these dark crazy things inside me for so long and now learning how to follow the path god has for me, to give myself to jesus..”

There couldn’t be any better answer to the “Why Second Life?” question than this guy’s story. We want to use this tool to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Christ.

Comments

1. Apr 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm

awesome, but where do I find the island in Second Life, and do I need to become a premier member to really be able to be effective in SL? I am just the “free” guy now and it glitches on me often. I am running a new Macbook, so I don’t think its my machine.

So cool about someone receiving salvation through second life. Redeeming technology for God’s glory. He is in the redeeming business!

2. Apr 20, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Bobby,

Thanks for the awesome story!

3. Apr 20, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Craig,

That is a powerful testimony. We need to use every tool at our disposal to preach the gospel. Jesus did. I don’t know why people and especially Christians demonize what we don’t understand.

4. Apr 20, 2007 at 4:16 pm

[...] Why do I do what I do? Read this post. It really sums it up for me. Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. [...]

5. Apr 20, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Don’t you just love the way Jesus works? Hallelujah!!! Keep the great stories coming, Bobby!

Agape,
    steve

6. Apr 21, 2007 at 12:41 pm

goosebumps

7. Apr 21, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for the tip. Bobby. I only have 512 ram but upgrading this week. Thanks for all you guys do. You guys inspire us church planters to dream bigger!

This post in a sermon this weekend, about ministry out of the norm. Jesus even preached from boats to redeem people. Unheard of before to do that. Definitely out of character for a traditional rabbi, but it was effective.

Congrats on being effective for the kingdom. The kingdom is what it is all about. as long as we are moving people closer to God, that is what matters. Whether they are “live” in your office or an avatar with a questioning heart at a computer, doesn’t matter. Peoples lives are being changed because of Jesus!

Great job.

8. Apr 25, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Great story!

9. Apr 27, 2007 at 2:45 pm

[...] A major barrier is the lack of understanding that many pastors and older ministry leaders have regarding the tools available to them. So it is often the difficult task of younger leaders to take up the baton and push the marketing, communicating and evangelizing envelopes. I believe that those of us who are familiar and comfortable with things like blogging, text messaging, Facebook and other possible technological ministry venues (i.e. LifeChurch.tv’s Second Life ministry ) have a responsibility to humbly inform and teach older generations about the possibilities. Because once people are informed of the benefits they are less likely to push back or reject technological tools. [...]

10. Apr 30, 2007 at 8:22 am