Kathy Sierra has another great post entitled Add a little more random to your product.
As I think about it…I should probably change the title of my post to “Add a little more random to OUR church” since we are certainly guilty of being predictable.
Her post can be applied to so many aspects of what many of us do:
- Message series (topics, series length, should we actually put things in series at all?, do we basically do the same thing every year at the same time?)
- Teaching preparation (are your predictable prep patterns causing predictable teaching?)
- Experience/service programming (stand-sit-stand, sing-clap-greet-watch-pray-sing)
- Worship - the music part (fast-fast-slow-fast, are the songs the same songs or style each week?)
- Small groups (go to the same place with the same people each week?)
- Serving (Repeat the same mantra..”we need xx people to sign-up to serve in ________”)
What is important to note is that she is not saying that complete randomness is the solution…just a little more (as she illustrates in one of her classic diagrams below). When is the last time you surprised your church or randomized your day?